New model Tuna, first impressions (PICS INCLUDED).
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New model Tuna, first impressions (PICS INCLUDED).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New model Tuna, first impressions (PICS INCLUDED).

Well, I’ve been researching the Seiko Tuna for some time now. The general consensus on this watch led me to believe it was a highly desirable item. There was almost nothing to be said that cast any negativity on this model, so, with a few clicks of the mouse, Chino Watch had the new SBBN017 on it’s way to me downunder. I would happily have purchased the previous version of the Tuna but I was certain that all of those models had dried up. Many believe that the old Tuna was probably a $650 watch, so for the new Tuna to have a new price of $800, is, I feel, realistic in today’s market. This is the price for the watch on a rubber strap.

Some of you may gasp in disbelief or laugh out loud but I am a “one watch” guy. My previous watch has died on me after 25 years of reliable service. I needed a tough, reliable, diver “man’s” watch so the Tuna seemed to fit the bill, at least on paper and thanks to the internet.

Well, the package arrived today. I said to myself before opening the box that there might be a chance the watch will look and feel nothing like I envisaged. I promised myself to give it a week to grow on me if this was to be the case. I also wanted to soak up the first opening of the box ( which itself is quite impressive) and sighting of the watch.

To say I was utterly blown away by the look, the feel, and the perfect size of this watch is a massive understatement. The watch simply overwhelmed my high expectations of it. I kept saying to myself “I don’t believe how perfect this watch is”...and all after about 5 seconds. I needn’t have worried about the watch “growing” on me as it happened with one jump of that sweet second hand. Can you tell I like this watch very much? My main concern was “will it look too big on my wrist?” The answer is it’s perfect. I have 8” wrists and even if the watch was physically larger, it wouldn’t look too big. I honestly believe that anyone with wrists greater than about 61/2” should be fine. The watch seems to “shrink” a bit when on the wrist. Don’t be put off by the size of this watch ! I even find the wave rubber strap very comfortable but my wrists are pretty solid (we do actually wrestle crocodiles down here, you know).

What can I say about my first Seiko ? I’m lost for words really. This watch has stampeded my very high expectations. The build quality is amazing. I’m trying to find an imperfection somewhere....who am I kidding, this isn’t going to happen.

I will post some pics tomorrow. Sorry that this is not a professional review but it does go some way to revealing first impressions for my first Seiko......to think that I was going to buy another Swiss watch !!

If I can answer any questions about this watch then I’d be more than happy to try and help out. I am new to Seiko so don’t get too high tech on me !

I do plan to get a suitable InvisibleShield xtal protector for this watch as I had one on my previous watch and I was very impressed with them.

Hope the photo's are okay. Had to get them down in size.

Thanks,
    Tony_
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Tony_; June 10th, 2009 at 09:32. Reason: Adding pictures

Re: New model Tuna, first impressions.

It's nice to know that you are happy with your new Seiko. It's always a bit of a gamble when you send of a lot of cash for a watch that you have never actually seen. Pictures can often be very misleading and almost always show a product in it's best possible light. Sometimes you can be a little disappointed.

So enjoy your new watch. I'm sure it will give many years of service. Seiko make great value for money and quality watches.

Thanks for that....this new watch will be with me for a very long time.
    My poor old Tag is confined to a drawer after the crown seal failed and seawater got inside...I got lazy on servicing beyond a battery seal and paid the price... :oops:

Probably what struck me the most was the Tuna wasn't as big as I thought it was going to be.

I can now see why people collect Seiko watches......

Tony_

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    It's nice to know that you are happy with your new Seiko. It's always a bit of a gamble when you send of a lot of cash for a watch that you have never actually seen. Pictures can often be very misleading and almost always show a product in it's best possible light. Sometimes you can be a little disappointed.

So enjoy your new watch. I'm sure it will give many years of service. Seiko make great value for money and quality watches.
    Last edited by Tony_; June 9th, 2009 at 16:21.
    pepcr1 likes this.

SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar

Congrats on your Tuna purchase. I'm sure you'll like it as much as I do. Seems like this watch is the best fit for you. For that price, like Radio_Daze said, you've made a pretty brave decision on a watch that you've never actually seen. But having said that, you don't have to worry about it because it's a TUNA. If you search previous threads about this watch on the forum, you'll see that many folks here satisfied with their TUNA purchases and I'm one of them of course . TUNA I think is the most iconic Seiko's JDM diver which is still in a production. Well I'd say MM300 is in the same league too but roughly you won't get that watch for under 1500 new. Currently I'm on a hunt on a nice preowned Darth TUNA SBBN011. TUNA in my collection is the watch that I will sell in the last place.

I'm not sure what kind of crystal protector you're putting on your TUNA but I suggest you don't need that. Hardlex crystal does prone to scratches but so far I have no scratches on any of my Seikos (Except for the one that I accidentally brushed on the crystal with a scotch brite while removing some scratches on the body). Well have fun with your TUNA and don't forget to post pictures. Post them as many as you could.

congratulation my friend

Tuna is such unique and beautiful watch

I know.. we know.. u would wear it in health and wish u much happiness

Tuna is great

i think all battery powered quartz should have a year scale in the back of the watch allow owner to marker what year was the last battery change (so that we can project when the next battery change should be)

Quote Originally Posted by music_healing View Post
    congratulation my friend

Tuna is such unique and beautiful watch

I know.. we know.. u would wear it in health and wish u much happiness

Terima Kasih...saya berbicara sedikit Bahasa Indonesia. (Although it's been 20 years since I studied it at school)...great language and easy to learn.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Indonesian Customs..can you get Insured/Registered post?

Selamat tinggal (or is it datang?)....

Tony_

Congratulations on your new Tuna I had about the same worries about getting a watch that to me was expensive without actually trying it on first. I did PM several folks here at WUS that had them before I got mine. I got nothing but good review so that helped me make the decision to get one Funny thing about this forum I never ever looked at my analogs to see if the second hand hit the center of the hour markers. My Tuna and Ti Zilla hit the marks dead on One of the great things about the Tuna is how easy it is to change straps / braclets. I have mine on a watchadoo

As said above we need PHOTOS
    Hidden Content

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1 Hidden Content
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_ View Post
    Terima Kasih...saya berbicara sedikit Bahasa Indonesia. (Although it's been 20 years since I studied it at school)...great language and easy to learn.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Indonesian Customs..can you get Insured/Registered post?

Selamat tinggal (or is it datang?)....

Tony_
    hei Tony

its ok... I use expedition agent service, so they are the one who have to chase my sumo all over Indonesia and argue struggling with custom...
    off course I give them 5% commision
    but save me the trouble of bullied by customs

my blue sumo takes 4 weeks travelling arround Indonesia, in order to lose it ( courtesy of my customs)
    my black sumo takes 2 weeks of arguing and struggling with post office " bad person " who keep say that the black sumo is never accepted in Indonesia.. sorry buddy but tracked down to your office... so pull some strain for 2 weeks until the black sumo miraculously found .... and offcourse some cigarette money to those " bad person" to let my sumo go

but for the sake of the watches.. I would go through all that .. hahaha

strangly, the bad persons at custom, never interested in 3 of my samurai and 1 tuna.
    if they dont interested in your stuff come in their office
    they just let it go easily

if they want your stuff... like 2 sumo of mine.. u are in deep
    they would try to do all things,
    from claiming ur watch is missing, or
    state that they cant find your address in ur city and send ur watch to travel to many city in Indonesia, and off course... they cant find you in those cities... finally the goods is considered them...

neat trick...

terima kasih :p
    Last edited by music_healing; June 10th, 2009 at 05:46.

Congratulations Tony
    Tuna is the way to go. I had only automatics for over 30 years, and Tuna is my first quartz.
    I can only say that after +2sec a month it would be hard to go back.
    Go Tunas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information