The new Samurai thread - Page 37
Like Tree411Likes

Thread: The new Samurai thread

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Re: The new Samurai thread

After the hassle with the turtle Padi, misaligned bezel and hour hand, I received my Samurai and it looks pretty bang on to me with no misaligned

On Nato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Samurai thread

Quote Originally Posted by willykatie View Post
    After the hassle with the turtle Padi, misaligned bezel and hour hand, I received my Samurai and it looks pretty bang on to me with no misaligned

On Nato

You lucked out. I just signed for my Samauri and I am not very happy. The QC is off and while it may be minuscule Iím not a happy customer. I bought this off eBay. The crown is slightly off center which if it was that alone I would be okay but the bezel and chapter ring are perfect, unless you consider that both are slightly off to the left of the silver line between the 12 hour mark on the dial.

Iíve owned so many other brands and Seiko non-divers. I was hoping that there were just a few lemons.

Do I send this back?

I really havenít seen this on any other watch I have, and I have a filled box of 24.

I have a Turtle coming from Creation. This came from BPW, out of NJ.
    I have to think the dealer looks at his stock.

As I gaze upon the watch and itís components I canít help but think that the dial is just so slightly off, by < .01mm. 6 oíclock is almost dead on but 12 oí clock - 4 oíclock are just off a smidge. I just do t see this passing any of the Swiss, or Microbrand QC. I should be able to adjust this, but Iím really bummed by the lack of inspection.

Last edited by Champagne InHand; 6 Days Ago at 22:21.

I chose to ask to return this. BTW the vendor is ďTimeless.Ē The entire watch movement and the movement holder is off just enough to cause the crown misalignment. This isnít something that can be easily fixed by a watchmaker without many labor costs.

As the watch is advertised, and then as the watch arrived.

I am really bummed by this. I have the Turtle coming from Singapore and I really hope this doesnít have the QC issues.

I really love the Sami but I canít accept a bad QC watch probably sold in bulk on the cheap.

Many examples of this all across the Seiko diver range. I get the feeling that the cheaper models like the SKXs have less of this than the "Prospex" ones, paradoxically.
    My shogun has this same thing, only to the left, very slight, but there. Since there is also a problem with the 10 min. lume dot I sent the watch to Seiko to have these problems fixed. Don't have it back yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champagne InHand likes this.

Itís so frustrating. These are great watches. But with QC like this, why waste the money chasing the dream. I wanted a Shogun, but $850-ish, for sloppy QC is ridiculous. Same for any price of Turtle or Samurai. Such beautiful designs but if not executed properly this leaves me in the micro camp or worse in the hands if Swatch et al.

Seiko has such a good concept, but itís like opting for an Infiniti over a Volvo SUV or a Nissan GTR or Acura NSX over a Porsche and getting burned on fit and finish when itís almost always the other way around.

I guess if the Japanese can cut corners in QC, is it really worth it. I might prefer a all stainless polished chapter ring which I get in the dressier watches over misalignment in otherwise superior designed divers.

Yet divers are where the fit and finish would be most appropriate. Dammit. I really want a perfect Samurai!

Lots of freaking out of 0.5mm misalignment.

I had a PADI turtle that came with a defect in the case that was brushed over from the factory. My SUN019 had way less than perfect hour marker alignment.

I wore them both and no one noticed, the world kept spinning, and life went on. My point is that half of these watches are going to get flipped in a year. Donít sweat the small stuff!
    Champagne InHand likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne InHand View Post
    It’s so frustrating. These are great watches. But with QC like this, why waste the money chasing the dream. I wanted a Shogun, but $850-ish, for sloppy QC is ridiculous. Same for any price of Turtle or Samurai. Such beautiful designs but if not executed properly this leaves me in the micro camp or worse in the hands if Swatch et al.

Seiko has such a good concept, but it’s like opting for an Infiniti over a Volvo SUV or a Nissan GTR or Acura NSX over a Porsche and getting burned on fit and finish when it’s almost always the other way around.

I guess if the Japanese can cut corners in QC, is it really worth it. I might prefer a all stainless polished chapter ring which I get in the dressier watches over misalignment in otherwise superior designed divers.

Yet divers are where the fit and finish would be most appropriate. Dammit. I really want a perfect Samurai!

Well, if you bought it new from an AD, have Seiko fix it under warranty. The slight dial tweak is no problem. Now the centering of the crown may be more problematic, but either they'll fix it or replace it and you should be good to go.

If that misalignment is too much for you I'd give up on Seiko altogether if I were you. I'll be very surprised if your Turtle is better aligned than that and most people here would be satisfied with that alignment considering how bad it could be potentially. There's no point comparing it to the Seiko images of the watch; have you not noticed that loads of Seiko's own pictures (some of which aren't even real) include misalignments, as if to say "this is how you should expect it to look"? They're made with computers, they have the chance to make everything line up perfectly or in the case of it being an actual photo use a perfectly aligned example, but they purposefully don't.

As for the crown misalignment, your photos are showing the watch at an angle, not completely flat below the lens, and the crown on this watch looks off-centre at nearly every other angle. Can you see by eyesight looking directly down on it that it's not centred?
    Last edited by clyde_frog; 5 Days Ago at 01:02.

I guess I just had my expectations very high. I really like the design of the Sami.

When adding another watch I do want it to be close to perfect.

In theory itís really easy to kick back a watch fir reassembly if itís off, but in reality the QC inspector probably knows the person responsible and doesnít want to write up the paperwork as it could jeopardize their job.

Iíve travelled the 3rd world. I spent over 6 weeks in Nica last Winter. I wouldnít want to put somebody I was good friends with in that hot seat especially knowing they have mouthed to feed. Itís a brutal world and I agree these are serious 1st world problems.
    Still I really was so excited for this watch to be perfect.

I guess I had really good experiences with the SARB035 and SARX045.

When traveling I wear a quartz PVD diver on Zulu. I bought it through eBay. I can return it.

If I wasnít stretched for time with aging eyes and my hands not so steady, I would take it apart and try to fix the error, but in all likelihood I would make it worse.

The question now is do I try to have them replace it? Itís kind of like sending food back to the kitchen. You just are going to end up with something worse in all likelihood.

I guess Iíll see what the Turtle shows tomorrow.

I didnít need it, but really wanted it. No harm, no foul in sending it back and just being happy with the nearly perfect watches I have and rarely wear.

Had it been perfect, I would have likely flipped some Squale or Helson. I do like those watches too. I guess I had hoped I could travel with a stainless yet itís not to practical when I stay at hostels and guesthouses most of the time, when traveling solo.

So much gear gets nicked anyway.

The only way to avoid these issues is to find a brick & mortar store with inventory and inspect before purchase. Unfortunately the price is never as good as the Internet.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread Information