WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A new Seiko 3rd gen Monster is arrived. SZSC003 blu dial. Fantastic.

128K views 276 replies 95 participants last post by  mi6_ 
#1 ·
For those who lost this great news, here it is.
The Seiko Monster SZSC003, the new 3rd gen monster with blu dial, cyclope and caliber 6R15.

Love it.

See less See more
#85 · (Edited)
I have finally got my watch delivered... I think they've must sent me the wrong watch, as it looks anything but blue.. my serial # is 6O0046 which also makes me think I've got a SBDC025 instead of SZSC003 .

If I compare my serial # with the ones listed here, mine starts with "6O00xx", while all the one you guys have listed starts with "6900xx" ... :| This looks like a SBDC025 to me , as I can't see any blue ...It's either I am color blind(wife's statement) or I have no clue what's going on. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this . Thanks

Attachments

#86 ·
Wow, this is really weird Mike. I though you got the black Monster too, until I saw your 2nd picture. That pic definitely looks like the right watch. The reason I say that is you can see the difference in the color of the date wheel background (definitely black) as compared to the dial itself. So I think you got the right watch. However the serial # thing is mind-blowing. Could you post a nice clear pic of the caseback for us? We'll get to the bottom of this...

Congrats, by the way! Fine looking watch you've got there...[emoji109] [emoji6]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

#91 ·
Updating the list with my serial :

SZSC003 serials
valuewatchguy - #68
P415B - #81
LEDZeppelin - #690039
flyersandeagles - #690097
Mr. James Duffy - low 200s
mike.vrdt - #6O0046 - really weird one comparing with the other ones

Feel free to update it when/if necessary

#93 ·
^^ Right. I'm sure Seiko could shed light on this issue, but every few days, I check on the various Seiko websites, and find nothing about this model. I wish someone had an "in" with someone in the Seiko "family" that could find out for us. Does anyone here know anyone that works at a Seiko AD? Or even an online retailer that sells Seiko? Someone most know the deal with these Monsters....

#95 · (Edited)
If it is consistent with other Seiko watches, the O should stand for October, while the 9 would be September. The production numbers would be from the last 3 digits (compared to 4 digit production numbers on other Seiko watches). So I would say the production numbers started over in October. It is odd that they would not number these like other limited editions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#96 ·
It would make some sense, but the "O" one (mine) has 0046 and the ones with "9" have higher numbers than mine, so it might make sense if they printed the serial #s backwards starting with the higher #s '9' finishing with lower #s in October -'O' :) -which I highly doubt that

#100 ·
Further speculation... I always assumed watches did not necessarily roll off the production line in numerical order and stamped with its serial number. Some units are delayed and put in a pile with others that might be cased with a bit of dust under the crystal or a movement that was out of spec and need adjustment later. (Not bezels and chapter rings, of course. Those are inspected by a cross-eyed man just watching the clock and counting down until happy hour.) The serial number is assigned and follows a unit through its entire assembly and it is stamped along with the month and year digits upon completion.

Or maybe it's magic. At this point that is just as likely.

#115 · (Edited)
Just wondering if following gents would be kind to share with us their full serial #(just for the record) :
-valuewatchguy - #68
-
P415B - #81
-
Mr. James Duffy - low 200s
No biggie if for whatever reason is not possible.
Thanks
Update - Mine is #6O0081 which dates it to 2016, October #81 off the production line.

Also about the non-badging of it being an "LE", I remember my SRP455 was a JDM LE only a 1000 produced with only LIMITED EDITION on the back. Then, the SRP461 came out which was the same watch but on a bracelet and that one had all the badging/paperwork with only 500 pieces produced (click here for more info).

Also my SBBN037 Blue Tuna is a rumored JDM LE with only 3000 pieces being produced. But again, no LE badging/packaging.

So the whole LE thing really isn't a big bother for me. Funny thing though, it seems like every blue SEIKO I've owned is rumored to be a JDM LE but with no LE packaging. :think:

#106 ·
The first digit is year produced. So a 6 would be 2006 or 2016. Obviously 2016 in this case.

The second digit represents the month of manufacture.
1 = January
2 = February
3 = March
4 = April
5 = May
6 = June
7 = July
8 = August
9 = September
O = October
N = November
D = December

The last 4 digits represents the number of the watch coming off the production line. This resets to 0 for each month.

#108 ·
The first digit is year produced. So a 6 would be 2006 or 2016. Obviously 2016 in this case.

The second digit represents the month of manufacture.
1 = January
2 = February
3 = March
4 = April
5 = May
6 = June
7 = July
8 = August
9 = September
O = October
N = November
D = December

The last 4 digits represents the number of the watch coming off the production line. This resets to 0 for each month.
Thanks for that - I knew there was a formula for the production date. So this would lead one to believe (with good reason) that Seiko is using their traditional process to serialize these. Therefore, we can surmise that these dark blue Monsters are probably not a limited edition model. As many have stated, they would be serialized xxxx/1000 if they were indeed a limited edition, right?

#114 · (Edited)
J
Hmmm, I suppose that can and does happen. A lot.

Yea, if Seiko uses the same serial numbering on all their watch models then theoretically there would be as many of the same serial as there are different models. Still, overall it's a surprising coincidence that two same serials pop up in this thread and even more surprising is the fact that I even noticed. I was handling the baby tuna, happened to glance at the serial and notice the "O" second digit, then checking this thread it was the exact same number. I don't do the lotto but if I did I'd figure a way to play those numbers.

#112 ·
My serial number is 6O02xx. Until we know the month of the others or accept the possibility the serial numbers are dialed back down to zero each month, mike.vrdt's number is still the odd one.

As for it being a limited edition, we know it has the odd SZSC designation, it is JDM and has a lower MSRP in JPY than the other Gen 3 Monsters released 2 years prior. They seem to be less available upon release than the others but it could be due to the high speculation price in the gray market and aftermarket. Until recently, all limited editions are stamped and numbered as such but I think some of the recent Asian market exclusives say limited edition on the case back and packaging but not numbered.

Where does this leave us? The same place where we have been: Looking badass with a blue dial Seiko Monster on our wrist.

#124 ·
Long story short, I've received the info from a Japanese Seiko dealer, that 3rd gen Black and Orange production has ended last year . It doesn't look they've made to many of those either. Could this fact conclude that 3rd gen overall was not a"large" number production ? Will we see any 2017 made SZSC003 ?

#125 ·
Yes, I've noticed the high prices on the black, and especially the orange. Just for kicks, I keep all 3 in my Amazon shopping cart, and the prices have just risen on all 3. The orange is up over $1300 right now! (Shopping in Japan is the supplier). The black and blue are both over $600.

I just don't see how Seiko makes so few of such a traditionally popular model. Maybe they will make more at some point. I don't see why they wouldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.