WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A new Seiko 3rd gen Monster is arrived. SZSC003 blu dial. Fantastic.

128K views 276 replies 95 participants last post by  mi6_ 
#1 ·
For those who lost this great news, here it is.
The Seiko Monster SZSC003, the new 3rd gen monster with blu dial, cyclope and caliber 6R15.

Love it.

See less See more
#258 ·
My blue Monster just landed. I was kind of holding out for a 4th Gen with a 4R36 (and no cyclops) but since blue is my favourite colour I decided to jump on the SZSC003 while they can still be had new for $500 from Japan. Who knows when or even if Seiko will release a 4R36 Monster again? I always regretted not getting an SRP307 when they could be had for $200. These are a bit steep for $500 in my opinion even with the 6R15. I have so many watches the 50 vs 41 hr power reserve is not really useful. Plus based on my experience with my SARB033 with a 6R15D it seems like 6R15 only stay accurate when worn all the time (fully wound).

The bracelet was a PITA to re-size. All my previous Seiko Divers had the collar in the middle of the link which is much easier to work with. Thankfully I had a jewellers kit with all the needed tools and hardware. I love the dial colour. It sometimes looks black, slate grey or navy blue depending on the lighting conditions. It's like owning 3 watches in one. With the new dial hour markers with chrome surrounds and chromed hands I think this could even be worn with a suit to the office (obviously there are still better watches for dress wear though). The second generation with the shark teeth was much less classy and more fun (Monster teeth). Other than the cyclops I love the look of the 3rd generation.

Not really a fan of the cyclops, but it's not too bad in person. If it doesn't grow on me I'll do a flat sapphire swap down the road maybe. My main concern is that it sits proud of the bezel so no doubt it will get scratched at some point. I'd love to remove it but don't want to try the heat method and risk damaging the crystal gasket. I was also worried it would be a bit big on my 6.5" wrist but like most of the reviews state it wears pretty good for us small waisted folk. Close to my top end at about 48mm lug to lug height, but pretty comfortable.

My serial number is 810238 (January 2018). So while they may be "limited" I doubt there are 1,000. You'd think Seiko would have serial numbered them if that was the case. I wonder is they stopped making the SZSC003 now that the Jade Monster is out (SZSC005)? Seems like all the 3rd generation ones have had short 1 year production runs.

Anyhow I'm going to go hide from my wife. I not only bought a Seiko Monster this week, but an Orient Mako USA II after Orient USA announced they ship to Canada (we lost our importer in Quebec a few years ago). So no doubt I'll be sleeping in the doghouse when my wife sees the new watches. I'd been on a solar quartz quick but missed owning some autos so I went a bit overboard.

#264 · (Edited)
Just received my 003. I am not going to post photos as i honestly feel that this watch needs to be experienced firsthand. I was shocked when i put it on my wrist...

First impressions (in the exact order of events):

1. Wow this wears so well.
2. Dear god it is actually quite petite and not the huge chunk i pictured it to be.
3. Perfection in terms of alignment, fit and finish. "Just right" bezel action.
4. Wow this wears so well!
5. One of a kind. Love it.
6. (You may flame me for this once) Love the cyclops. Love it. A monster with an eye looking at you. Literally. When you are not looking at it, it is looking at you with that one-eyed date. An excellent "Monster" imho. Thought i would be on the fence but no way... this is indeed a MONSTER! I totally get why Seiko did it.
7. The dial... the subdued blue... the one-eyed monster rests in the deep and kicks up the ocean floor as it settles down after a feast. You have to see it in person to appreciate it.
8. The delicately concave bezel... The slight dome of the crystal...
9. With all of the watches i've had the pleasure of owning/trading/wearing... how did i miss this one until now...
10. That one eye is looking at me and it's whispering... "Put me on your wrist"

That concludes my initial impressions. I shall measure performance over the next few weeks and report back.

Edit: SN for the registry attached.

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory Material property

#265 ·
Well, the recent serial numbers show the watch has been in production, or at least coming off the production line at some unknown frequency, for at least 2 years. If this model is indeed limited, it is by some arbitrary determination. Realistically, I can see Seiko sending out sales literature to ADs saying it is limited as in: “We ain’t gonna be making as many of these anymore and will stop soon. How many do you want to order?”

AMAZING watch, though. It is easily my favorite diver.

#267 · (Edited)
Well, the recent serial numbers show the watch has been in production, or at least coming off the production line at some unknown frequency, for at least 2 years. If this model is indeed limited, it is by some arbitrary determination. Realistically, I can see Seiko sending out sales literature to ADs saying it is limited as in: "We ain't gonna be making as many of these anymore and will stop soon. How many do you want to order?"
Sounds like it :)

I did not purchase this one with any intent to resell tbh (i know, never say never). Super engineer II coming in on Sunday and that will be the bracelet of choice for now. Several reasons for that choice... i do like steel bracelets (super versatile in any setting/environment), the SEII is a quality bracelet that matches the aggressive yet sculpted nature of the Monster, I do not want to resize the original bracelet due to the way it tapers and the number of links i'd have to remove, plus i just like the SEII much better in terms of quality. Measure, adjust the SE bracelet to the perfect size, pop off the original bracelet and install the SE. Clean, easy, quick (if you have the right tools and know how to use them not to leave a mark).

I am honestly so impressed with this particular Seiko that i may have it adjusted and regulated should i find performance to be lacking. As for hardlex - i've never ever scratched one in my entire life. AR sapphire? Maybe if anything happens... but i'd like to keep the watch original for as long as possible.

As far the the dial color... i do really like it. I'll put it this way... i like just looking at it and i like the fact that it will work with any outfit. I will not think twice about wearing this watch to a business meeting. Orange is super fun (and iconic), true, however not for every occasion in my view. Black is... well, black. Green is cool but this blue is just universal and timeless. My opinion only, definitely not knocking down any dials, colors, models or personal preferences.

#271 · (Edited)
Quick update on performance:

I usually check the watch at the same exact time (7AM) as i pick it up upon waking up. Over the course of several days so far the watch exhibited COSC performance. Depending on daily activity it can go +-1 sec . Sometimes it is 1 sec behind and then other times it is 1 sec ahead. I believe that it has to do with the power (charge level) of the watch but regardless of that i am super impressed. Some of my high-end watches which cost 10x the price of this watch (going to get flamed for this, i know) are not keeping up with this MONSTER.

#272 ·
Quick update on performance:

I usually check the watch at the same exact time (7AM) as i pick it up upon waking up. Over the course of several days so far the watch exhibited COSC performance. Depending on daily activity it can go +-1 sec . Sometimes it is 1 sec behind and then other times it is 1 sec ahead. I believe that it has to do with the power (charge level) of the watch but regardless of that i am super impressed. Some of my high-end watches which cost 10x the price of this watch are performing (going to get flamed for this, i know) are not keeping up with this MONSTER.
Yup mine has been excellent as well. It looses time on the wrist and gains in the watch box overnight so I can keep it within 1-2 off every day. Amazing!

#277 ·
3rd Generation SZSC003 fresh from the watchmaker with the sapphire crystal from eBay installed. Decided to get rid of the fugly cyclops and splurge on a sapphire crystal since this piece is a keeper. Date window with the white surround and blacked-out date wheel looks great now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.