WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Not sure if this exists...

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  cnj8w 
#1 ·
Is there a seiko that is comparable in looks and size to the Sarb 033/035 that has a screwdown crown and greater water resistance? I suppose I'm thinking something less than a grand seiko.

(I have an 035, which I love, but sometimes I feel it's not quite hardy enough to be an all-the-time watch...)

Thanks for your thoughts!

#2 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Wrist

The SARB015 Alpinist is what immediately comes to mind. I think it's one of the coolest watch designs Seiko has ever produced and I would call it extremely versatile. But I ended up selling this one in hopes of finding one in better condition someday (it was really beat up and with an actual chunk of the case having chipped out, and I'm not a fan of refinishing).

#7 ·
The SARB015 Alpinist is what immediately comes to mind. I think it's one of the coolest watch designs Seiko has ever produced and I would call it extremely versatile. But I ended up selling this one in hopes of finding one in better condition someday (it was really beat up and with an actual chunk of the case having chipped out, and I'm not a fan of refinishing).
Great looking watch. I hadn't seen that one before, either. It seems better to me than the 017, but definitely a little more rare to find at this point it seems. Also, it seems to be priced a bit high for what it is. Yes, it's rare-ish, but I'd rather pay more and get more in return. If it were vintage or something like that to make the age a true asset/value, then it may be different.

#3 ·
Thanks, Memento! That's a nice looking watch: I hadn't seen that model before.

I feel like I am looking for something that doesn't really exist: basically a Sarb033/035 with greater water resistance (maybe like a datejust or oyster perpetual). My thinking is that a modestly sized, classic looking (dress up or down), water resistant watch, everyday watch should not be so hard to find below the, say, $1k mark. But I'm sure I'm missing things...

Thanks again!

#4 ·
#10 ·
Is there a seiko that is comparable in looks and size to the Sarb 033/035 that has a screwdown crown and greater water resistance... but sometimes I feel it's not quite hardy enough to be an all-the-time watch...)
What I would say is wear the SARB without fear.

100m water resistance one might forget, takes into account the increased pressure at 100m below sea level. I don't know what activities you intend to do... but short of diving to 101m, you will get by showering, swimming, snorkelling, getting wet in the rain easy.

Wear it and you will know whether it is hardy enough. If it is, you will know what a beater you have and will love it more. If its not, then you will also learn what a .... watch you had and thought too much of it ;p

#19 ·
Here's what I'm getting at, I think. Some people suggest that screwdown crown doesn;t matter unless you're planning to be going into the depths regularly. And I get this perspective.

But I also get the perspective (which is my own) that it would be nice if the sarb had a screwdown crown. I would feel that much more secure in using it in my everyday life.

And what I wonder is--for example--how much more it would cost for Seiko to manufacture a watch like a sarb with screwdown crown--is that a major addition?

Thanks all!

#22 ·
Here's what I'm getting at, I think. Some people suggest that screwdown crown doesn;t matter unless you're planning to be going into the depths regularly.
I know the sarb is rated to 10 bar: but without the screwdown crown, I feel unsure about getting it wet or submerging it.
Ever heard of paranoia?

I know 99.9% nothing falls on my head: but without hard helmet on my head, I feel unsure about walking around outside.

#25 ·
100m water resistance is more than enough. 100m is roughly the same height as a 30 story building. Look at a 30 story building and then imagine swimming down that much depth of water. I'm certain at least 99% of us have never and will never swim that deep in our entire lives.

#26 ·
Thanks Appleb! I understand this, and I agree. At the same time, I wonder: why then does a watch like a datejust have the screwdown crown?

And I know that--all things being largely equal--I would take the screwdown crown over the non-screwdown. And I would would be more comfortable taking the former into a pool than the latter. I doubt I'm unusual in this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.