WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Official BFK Owner's Club: post yours here!

55K views 283 replies 115 participants last post by  Hardscrabbler 
#1 ·
Yes, it's been around for a while, but I get the feeling there's still love for the mighty BFK out there, otherwise known as the 'Big Friendly Kinetic' (or whichever F-word you prefer). Seiko, in their boring way, call it the SKA371.

Like most of us, I can't pass a mall jewellery store without casting a quick eye over the watches, though there's rarely anything of interest there (A whole wall of Michael Kors? Really?). Even in the Seiko section, it's rare to see a non-quartz watch, and, well, quartz watches, ho-hum.

However, over a few weeks, I noticed that one watch stood out for me, and every store I went past, it was in the window, and every store I stopped and pressed my nose against the glass like a schoolboy to look at it. It's a striking watch, partly because it's just bigger than anything else in the window.

Well, I like big watches, and I cannot lie. Eventually I popped in to try one on, just for the fun of it. The weight of the thing is palpable. It's like strapping a polished steel brick to your wrist, and the hefty rotor spins loudly like a roulette ball ("No more bets!").

The bezel action is extremely smooth and positive, with a discreet but efficient click like an expensive socket set. The tank-like case with its gently curved lugs and alternating brushed and polished surfaces recalls the Sumo, while the aggressively cut bezel edge and 3 o'clock crown have a little of the Shogun about them.

Wrist test completed, I handed it back to the majestically uninterested assistant and left the store. But if you've ever had a watch sneak up on you, you'll know what happened next. First you look around at a few new prices on the web, then you start browsing eBay ads for used models. "I'll just put this on my watch list so I can see what it sells for," you tell yourself. "I'm just keeping an eye on the market."

Before you know it, the watch is turning up at your door, and you're giving your wife a pleading look as if to say, "It followed me home, can I keep it?"

The lume is excellent, as you'd expect from a Seiko diver, though the skeleton hands are hard to read at night. I find the best thing is just to look at the big blob of the hour hand and see where it is; the minute hand gets mixed up with the hour indices. I'm not surprised that a popular mod for this watch is to either change the hands, or fill them with lume. However, it does have a certain unique, quirky charm, and that's why I love Seikos.

Overall, it's a solid and high-quality watch, which of course keeps impeccable time thanks to the little flake of silicon inside. It's an attractive, if slightly brutal diver, with plenty of character. Not just a pretty face, either, as forum torturers will attest. They sell in the UK for about two hundred pounds, and with the possible exception of the new Monsters I don't know many better watches for the price.

I've shown you mine, now show me yours! Bonus points for lived-in BFKs, especially if it looks like you use it to hit rocks on a regular basis.

See less See more
#161 ·

Reactions: romseyman
#162 ·
That really is a handsome watch. Pure function and legibility done right.

#173 · (Edited)
I was going to wait until I receive the new custom straps from England and custom PVD buckles from Scotland but I am pathetic! I just can't help myself… I sold my Steinhart OVM so I can wear this all the time and get my straps/buckles…

I will do a proper photo shoot with this and a full write up in a few weeks… but I'm just too excited. Pictures speak for themselves (unedited on my Samsung S6)

I don't think there is another BFK like this one in the world right now, that may change...

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Black Blue
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Sterile chapter ring
Bevelled domed AR sapphire
Li ion capacitor
Blacked out crown stripe
Seiko SUN019 hands

Watch supplied and all mods undertaken by Rob (Robokies) from Monsterwatches.eu

Five custom straps are in progress with Steve from Steveostraps.com (badly notched steveo para on in the pictures together with notched charcoal Victorinox dive master chrono rubber which I just threw away)

Took 8 months for Rob to obtain the watch and sort it but that's watch guys for you. He's a big fan and it shows, his prices are very reasonable and his work looks to be excellent and he is good to deal with.

Steve's straps are IMO unbeatable for the money, sure you can get more exotic ones from the USA if you want to pay ÂŁ150 each and wait 6 months but Steve does quality work at very reasonable prices, tune in for the main reveal when I get my PVD buckles from Fraser Straps in Scotland when they come back from the coating company.

#176 ·
You can have mine dude, worn once, brand new, just took the plastic off mint LNIB 100%. I am in the UK through.

I prefer straps so I am getting five custom made so I don't need the bracelet although as bracelets go, it's my favourite so far!

Only problem is the insane postage to the states if you want good tracking, Royal Mail is cheap but their tracking is very poor.

I don't what price they would go for, I am sure someone sells them new.

pm me if you are interested with an offer.

#177 ·
No new pictures :-( but after several years as my daily wearer, I am convinced this is Seiko's hidden gem. I have the black, pepsi and yellow BFK's (along with many other Seiko's) and find myself wearing one of the three BFK's 6 days of the week. Most have been scratched and banged around. I absolutely love them and personally think they are one of the top Seiko's for the price point you can get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.