Official BFK Owner's Club: post yours here! - Page 5
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: Official BFK Owner's Club: post yours here!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Official BFK Owner's Club: post yours here!

Thanks, I might give that a go on a spare bracelet I have first.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Hi Folks
    Recently got my BFK and singularly unimpressed with certain aspects of it compared to my £5 SKJ I recently got at a car boot sale (maybe post pics soon doing a comparison..when I get my camera sorted)...HOWEVER....one important thing I did learn is that its very easy to make your own pins and collars for the 371 bracelet..you'll need:-

0.9mm stainless steel wire....available on the bay, normally sold for fly tying or fishing lure making approx. £5.50 for 50 7 inch lengths

1.0 x 4mm stainless steel roll pins ...google for them....approx. cost inc postage (in the UK) £10 a hundred...note 1 x 4 is a standard ISO size and the smallest they come...US fractional sizes are normally 1/16 x 1/4 and are quite a bit longer

Seiko in their wisdom have the collars at 3mm so you need to gring 1mm off the roll pin (pop it in the rebate in the bracelet to get an idea of how much to take off, I hold mine in a pair of pliers and touch them on a tiny grinder I have

Cut your s/s wire at 19mm dress the cut end flat and slightly taper the other

Voila...stainless split pins and collars which work perfectly for the 371 bracelet

Last edited by Magu; May 22nd, 2014 at 22:18. Reason: Pictures added
    mikethebike67 likes this.

New BFK and some comparisons with an SKJ

Hi Folks
    New BFK arrived and whilst i'm v happy with it I couldn't help but make some comparisons with my SKJ kinetic diver.The BFK cost £62 (has a ding in the bezel) the skj cost £5 and was found at a car boot sale with the bracelet in pieces.I've done very little to either watch (yet!) resized the bracelet on the BFK and learnt about budget pins and collars (I swapped them all out..they do get distorted) and the skj I converted to run on a standard watch battery (rotor removed..really not a good idea to try and recharge a standard battery !) and rebuilt the bracelet

The pair alongside each other

Starting with the BFK I adore the case and bracelet with the wet suit extension,i work in a marine environment and can spend 10 hours a day in an immersion suit with neoprene wrist seals so the extension really is a boon,I like the straight section between the lugs which allows more bracelet/strap choice without having to go with curved strap ends all the time

The movement and its durability are legendary going by some of the torture tests they have been subjected to by forum members ...Now to some of the let downs.....I was surprised at the 'tinniness' of the bezel, If I tap it there is a definite looseness to it although it does state in the owners manual that the resistance on the bezel will increase underwater..no good to me I never go underwater ! the SKJ however has the ball and spring click for the bezel and on the whole feels far superior..the hands have been discussed to death and I cant say I like that phallic minute hand...think i'll fill it with orange lume and put blue in the hour hand.
    Have to say the worst part of the BFK has to be the cheap printed dial..it really does look like one of the shonky replacement dials you see on the bay the SKJ on the other hand has the applied Seiko logo along with the applied kinetic rotor symbol and just looks so much better.

Lume on both is very good with the BFK having the slight edge perhaps due to age however the pips on the SKJ seem to have the dge quality wise (very hard to show with my appaling pictures !)

In conclusion both watches have really impressed me The BFK being the winner methinks...now if Seiko could put the bezel from the skj onto the bfk and the same for the dial i'd probably buy 2 because I would never need to buy another workhorse watch again...and i'd have a spare should one be subjected to disaster
    Luis6, Cobia, Munchie and 1 others like this.

Re: New BFK and some comparisons with an SKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magu View Post
    Hi Folks
    New BFK arrived and whilst i'm v happy with it I couldn't help but make some comparisons with my SKJ kinetic diver.The BFK cost £62 (has a ding in the bezel) the skj cost £5 and was found at a car boot sale with the bracelet in pieces.I've done very little to either watch (yet!) resized the bracelet on the BFK and learnt about budget pins and collars (I swapped them all out..they do get distorted) and the skj I converted to run on a standard watch battery (rotor removed..really not a good idea to try and recharge a standard battery !) and rebuilt the bracelet

The pair alongside each other

Starting with the BFK I adore the case and bracelet with the wet suit extension,i work in a marine environment and can spend 10 hours a day in an immersion suit with neoprene wrist seals so the extension really is a boon,I like the straight section between the lugs which allows more bracelet/strap choice without having to go with curved strap ends all the time

The movement and its durability are legendary going by some of the torture tests they have been subjected to by forum members ...Now to some of the let downs.....I was surprised at the 'tinniness' of the bezel, If I tap it there is a definite looseness to it although it does state in the owners manual that the resistance on the bezel will increase underwater..no good to me I never go underwater ! the SKJ however has the ball and spring click for the bezel and on the whole feels far superior..the hands have been discussed to death and I cant say I like that phallic minute hand...think i'll fill it with orange lume and put blue in the hour hand.
    Have to say the worst part of the BFK has to be the cheap printed dial..it really does look like one of the shonky replacement dials you see on the bay the SKJ on the other hand has the applied Seiko logo along with the applied kinetic rotor symbol and just looks so much better.

Lume on both is very good with the BFK having the slight edge perhaps due to age however the pips on the SKJ seem to have the dge quality wise (very hard to show with my appaling pictures !)

In conclusion both watches have really impressed me The BFK being the winner methinks...now if Seiko could put the bezel from the skj onto the bfk and the same for the dial i'd probably buy 2 because I would never need to buy another workhorse watch again...and i'd have a spare should one be subjected to disaster

Agreed. The dial on that skj looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZASKAR36 View Post
    My yellow dial on maratac elite.

EXCELLENT !
    Love the 367 yellow dial version anyway, but on that strap it looks even more amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Buellrider View Post
    I guess today is BFK Friday.

Wonderful pics.
    Thanks!
    Buellrider likes this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  292.5 KB
    Fullers1845 and Luis6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laso1 View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  292.5 KB
    That's very yellow indeed!

@Magu. I think you are missing the point! And MAYBE buying a severely used and abused secondhand model is not the best way to objectively test the bezel action. Mine is fine, turns smooth after 5 years of daily wear in very demanding conditions. The BFK is a real tool watch that does everything a £1000 boutique diver does and more, I don't think the dial is meant to have applied signing, it's not really a dress watch! Best lume, best accuracy, best durability. The TiCN coating is insane, I studied materials engineering and I would say this 'PVD' type coating is the best in the world. Many PVD coatings are just applied finishes a true PVD coating bonds with the metal and does not wear off, after 5 years of daily use (I am a floor sander and wood restorer so watch is dropped onto floors, bashed into architraves, bashed onto industrial sanding machines and touched by abrasives and shaken around by several hours of vibration a day and just keeps on going. The PVD coating is almost unmarked, not even any swirlies, truly amazing, much much more durable than either bare metal, paint or any other surface finish full stop, most amazing part of the watch for me.I just gave mine to my GFs son and he loves it, I want another now but will get the velatura hands mod with a yobokies second hand and then get luxmento to relume in lime green, fit a sterile chapter ring and a sapphire. (I cannot wait for a The SBDD003 to come around)I think the only objective criticisms one can have are:A: Seiko bracelets are generally pretty poor.B: The owl and cock hands are unusual but not the best and grate after a whileC: The bezel isn't particularly pleasing, the one on the SBDD003 looks much better, I agree and the larger size means there are no known custom options.and most of allD: On a serious tool watch with ridiculous lume, reliability and the best pvd coating out there WHY FIT A HARDLEX????? there is just no need for this penny pinching. Seeing as Seiko used the top PVD process on this watch to skimp on the crystal just lets the side down, no serious watch nut is going to be impressed with a hardlex, ffs fit a sapphire already! Very very big let down. And yes, amazingly after 5 years of quite serious abuse the bezel has only a few minor scratches and the PVD is almost as new but the hardlex is showing the most wear and is why I gave it away.With the SBDD003 discontinued Seiko could of made the decision to update and upgrade the BFK with neutral colours and a sapphire, instead they chose pepsi bezels and more colours, seems like the went down the fashion route, shame as IMHO the BFK is the best tool like PVD dive watch out there.

Still one of my favorites

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information