WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Official BFK Owner's Club: post yours here!

55K views 283 replies 115 participants last post by  Hardscrabbler 
#1 ·
Yes, it's been around for a while, but I get the feeling there's still love for the mighty BFK out there, otherwise known as the 'Big Friendly Kinetic' (or whichever F-word you prefer). Seiko, in their boring way, call it the SKA371.

Like most of us, I can't pass a mall jewellery store without casting a quick eye over the watches, though there's rarely anything of interest there (A whole wall of Michael Kors? Really?). Even in the Seiko section, it's rare to see a non-quartz watch, and, well, quartz watches, ho-hum.

However, over a few weeks, I noticed that one watch stood out for me, and every store I went past, it was in the window, and every store I stopped and pressed my nose against the glass like a schoolboy to look at it. It's a striking watch, partly because it's just bigger than anything else in the window.

Well, I like big watches, and I cannot lie. Eventually I popped in to try one on, just for the fun of it. The weight of the thing is palpable. It's like strapping a polished steel brick to your wrist, and the hefty rotor spins loudly like a roulette ball ("No more bets!").

The bezel action is extremely smooth and positive, with a discreet but efficient click like an expensive socket set. The tank-like case with its gently curved lugs and alternating brushed and polished surfaces recalls the Sumo, while the aggressively cut bezel edge and 3 o'clock crown have a little of the Shogun about them.

Wrist test completed, I handed it back to the majestically uninterested assistant and left the store. But if you've ever had a watch sneak up on you, you'll know what happened next. First you look around at a few new prices on the web, then you start browsing eBay ads for used models. "I'll just put this on my watch list so I can see what it sells for," you tell yourself. "I'm just keeping an eye on the market."

Before you know it, the watch is turning up at your door, and you're giving your wife a pleading look as if to say, "It followed me home, can I keep it?"

The lume is excellent, as you'd expect from a Seiko diver, though the skeleton hands are hard to read at night. I find the best thing is just to look at the big blob of the hour hand and see where it is; the minute hand gets mixed up with the hour indices. I'm not surprised that a popular mod for this watch is to either change the hands, or fill them with lume. However, it does have a certain unique, quirky charm, and that's why I love Seikos.

Overall, it's a solid and high-quality watch, which of course keeps impeccable time thanks to the little flake of silicon inside. It's an attractive, if slightly brutal diver, with plenty of character. Not just a pretty face, either, as forum torturers will attest. They sell in the UK for about two hundred pounds, and with the possible exception of the new Monsters I don't know many better watches for the price.

I've shown you mine, now show me yours! Bonus points for lived-in BFKs, especially if it looks like you use it to hit rocks on a regular basis.

See less See more
#4 ·
Trying for those bonus points here! Had mine for a while now and it's been through the wars - battle scars only add to its rugged reputation. Built like a tank and just keeps on going. The only problem so far has been sand trapped under the bezel after a day at the beach - quickly fixed though! I agree with the bracelet comment - great quality. Hefty watch but wears really well - great fit and very comfortable. This is now like that old favourite shirt - the immediate ahhh....... as it goes on - great to slip on after all the others have had a shot and wondering why it took so long to get round to it again!
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Aqua

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Mine, down the beach, at sunset....... Love mine, it works hard, goes surfing on a regular basis!

Attachments

#13 ·
love my bfk, everything about it is just quality and solid. mine checking in:

#22 · (Edited)
I have one inbound from a WUS member, I can't wait for it to get here. Bad thing is, the bracelet was sized to a 6.5 inch wrist and I have a 7.5 inch wrist and he doesn't have the links. Anybody know where I could score a few extra links?

i will post some pics when it arrives...BTW, there are some outstanding photos in this thread!

#32 ·
Congrats on your choice, glad I could be a small help in you making it.
Its always wise to buy the bracelet version of any watch (although I didn't in this case :-D) because its cheaper to change later.
The bracelet is either pins, or pins and collars. Either way, its a simple job with loads of online tutorials on YouTube and suchlike. Invest in a pin pressing tool for about a fiver on ebay, and some good thin nosed pliers and you're good to go.

#33 ·
Thanks for the advice Evan, i really appreciate it mate.

I just ordered the original 20mm Seiko rubber strap for this from Chronograph.com apparently its the same strap used on the sawtooth, i found the link in another thread here, its a nice looking strap, not cheap at around $35 but it will be great having both.

I think your right about buying the bracelet version, i thought it might be harder and more expensive to pick up this ion plated bracelet later, im a total bracelet virgin, so i couldnt tell a good one from a bad one, but it sure looked chunky and pretty nice for a bracelet, i heard somebody say it was an oyster bracelet although i have no idea what that is other than hearing people talk about them.

Thanks again for your pics and help, i appreciate it.

Cheers

#34 ·
No probs, I wouldn't call it an oyster but it is chunky and suoerb quality considering the price of the watch. It has the added bonus of straight endlinks so it will also fit any other watch with normal 20mm lugs.
The rubber also is one if the nicer ones out there imho.

Sent from Samsung s4 mini

#35 ·
I guess today is BFK Friday.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I received a pre-owned BFK yesterday. It seems to have been made in Feb 2008. So I am assuming it is an earlier one? I cannot find any conclusive info on when they started production of this awesome watch.

Anyway, it wasn't in the best of conditions when it arrived. I didn't pay all that much for it so I really wasn't too concerned. I could tell it had been apart, there was some condensation on the inside of the crystal as well as some lint or dust specks. The case and bracelet were dirty and showed quite a few scratches, the crystal even more. So, after pulling it all apart and removing the particles with compressed air and letting it air dry overnight, I decided to take the Cape Cod to it. It really transformed the watch as it isn't a satin finish anymore (as I expected would happen) but I think it turned out pretty nice. Better than before anyway and I feel I gave this watch a second chance.

Also, I will be sending it along with a 1999 Kinetic to a local Seiko Kinetic watch maker in Denton, TX so it can receive the proper service it needs and deserves. Enough talk...

#37 ·
So, after pulling it all apart and removing the particles with compressed air and letting it air dry overnight, I decided to take the Cape Cod to it. It really transformed the watch as it isn't a satin finish anymore (as I expected would happen) but I think it turned out pretty nice. Better than before anyway and I feel I gave this watch a second chance.
I really like that polished finish! Nice job.

#36 ·
joining in. This is my going out for a walk watch. Get my exercise and wind the watch at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.