WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Official SBDX019 -62MAS Reissue

162K views 638 replies 157 participants last post by  lethaltoes 
#1 · (Edited)
The SBDX019 really deserves its own thread.

Release date: July 2017
LIMITED EDITION: 2,000
Movement: 8L35
Case width: 39.65mm
Case thickness: 14.16mm
Crystal: Curved Sapphire
Lug width: 19mm
L2L:
Includes: Rubber divers strap & stainless steel bracelet
MSRP: $350,000 JPY

I'll update the specs as soon as they're available.

Cheers
Shannon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#51 · (Edited)
Ugggghhhh.

Those handsets look like a cross between the monster and tuna handsets, not a fan of either, or this.

I see the hand Modification people retooling their machines already to produce some after market hands for this one.

The 62MAS LE is looking better and better.

Id be shocked if it doesn't deliver when we see it in metal.
Its such an Iconic simple design but at this price point I suspect they will go big with the finishing/ polish work.
I think I will regret not getting in line by the time I see one in person, but I suspect I will be passing on this one.

As for a mechanical GS????
Anyone else surprised by the fact that the normal buttoned up seiko corporation has all of a sudden developed more leaks than the Trunp white house?
I have to wonder if they want to get this out in front of the public before it gets lost in the announcements at Basel?
A GS mechanical diver is certainly long due and based on the interest the 62Mas watches are getting there certainly seems to be a rabid market for a smaller GS diver..... one can hope anyway?

#52 ·
I couldn't care less about the price.

I'm only worried about the 40mm size that might kill the vintage look and my feeling about what is good taste.

Watches are now useless and are a fashion/luxury item. Price has to be paid for that. And if 3k is too much money for a watch you'd keep your entire life, then I have to think you shouldn't collect watches at all and spend your money for useful things instead of watches.

Excluding maybe Vostok, Casio and Seiko 5, I can't think of a single watch that is worth its price ... look how many watches Rolex sells only by its name ... with absolutely ZERO link between price and what you actually get (you actually get a watch made at almost 100% by machines and with a design so old that I can't think it's worth more than 500eur to produce...) ... I really don't know why Seiko should sell only cheap watches...

I'd be ok to spend 4k for a 37-38mm 62mas reissue...

#54 ·
I'm heavily considering purchasing this piece to complement my NOS 6159-7000. I was already considering getting an original 62MAS, but I see no reason to, as the SBDX019 reissue is more compelling to me in every way. I'm wondering if this will present a similar situation as the Omega Ploprof where original vintage piece values diminish as a result of the reissues.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Belt buckle Buckle Belt Watch Fashion accessory

#56 · (Edited)
I hope that with the apparent success of the 6309 turtle re-issue, that Seiko has decided to re-issue all their old diver designs, and that they decided to continue, logically, from the beginning.

And I hope, regardless of whether the 62mas reissue succeeds or fails, that they will continue.

I think the 6215 was the first pretty Seiko diver. And the 6159 is almost the same, except with better WR and a better movement.

I think the 62mas was Seiko's first stab at a dive watch, and the 6159 was the proto-mm300.

I think the the proto-mm300's are very good-looking, but with my limited budget, I can't afford both it and a current mm300. I think I would rather have the current one.

It would be so cool for me if they will continue to the 6105-811x. Then I will have to pull the trigger, regardless of specs and price.

#57 · (Edited)
Ooops !! I didn't realise that the non-LE versions were much bigger.... That's definitely a mistake. If there's one thing that kills the vintage vibe is, IMO, the bigger sizes.

The hands are OK, I guess... They'll allow you to read the time until you change them for something else... These hands do not belong in this design !!! I kinda like that they are using them across the new Tuna line, but that doesn't mean they can go everywhere !!!

#60 · (Edited)
I'm really getting sick of reading this forum and hearing about how every watch Seiko releases anymore is overpriced. I think collectively, we're losing perspective.

This LE is the same price as the ETA based Black Bay, and I really hope no one is seriously going to argue that the Black Bay is worth more, horologically, than an 8l35 62mas reissue. And yes, the fit and finish of this model will be reflective of the price, I'll bet the farm on that.

Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. More for me, I guess.

With that said, the 6r15 version is hideous IMO. If you're at all interested in a 62mas reissue, the 8l35 version is the one to go for and I suspect that they'll hold or increase value very nicely making the cost even less of an issue.

#61 ·
I think the price is fine given the LE status and the use of 8L35. Looking back, the historical collection 17 years ago had the SBDX003 priced at 200,000 JPY, and the SBDX005 at 300,000 JPY, so a 350,000 JPY price for the SBDX019 in 2017 seems reasonable given inflation and the rise of watch prices in general over the last decade

The regular SBDX017 is priced at 270,000 JPY, so the SBDX019 is also not far off from a comparable non LE model with the same movement. The only thing that will lead to a difference in the 'street' price is the lack of discount given its LE status. Perhaps, like others suggested, they might release a regular model later on, which will hopefully be priced closer to the SBDX017 in list price and street price

#65 ·
I don't get it. Why a limited edition? They can pump out all those aesthetically challenged PADIs, but, only a handful of these absolute gorgeous gems.

Who wants to bet on whether or not the chapter rings have alignment issues?
Pretty sure there will be a "production" SBDX021 next year.
There is no chapter ring ;)

Cheers
Shannon

#66 · (Edited)
Im glad it's an LE and by the sound of it a top spec LE, I think Seiko are doing this right! Not cheapening their legacy.

Seiko are in danger of becoming a caricature of themselves if they just keep on releasing re-vamps of their greatest hit's.

The Turtle is a good example, how many versions are there (like 20 with more to come) and how many 'Limited' or 'Special editions'....Uuggh - and all of them are manufacturted outside of Japan.

All of the classics the 6217 the 6105 the 6159 the 6306 most of the 6309's were all made in Japan - I get that if anyone is going to build a Homage to these models it should be Seiko.

But I also think the talent pool at Seiko HQ must be nearly empty - where is the 21st century Ikuo Tokunaga? Surely he's got to be there somewhere? Stop with the re-vamps and show us the 'new' good stuff!

#172 ·
So true. So sad. Milkin' it is low class.

Seiko are in danger of becoming a caricature of themselves., how many versions are there (like 20 with more to come) and how many 'Limited' or 'Special editions'....Uuggh - and all of them are manufacturted outside of Japan.

#68 ·
Seiko's strategy: release a cheaper, uglier, and bigger non-LE version concurrently with the expensive and better-looking LE version to make the LE version seem like the more attractive option.

Regardless of the price, I am a shameless Seiko fan boy, so instead of the Black Bay I was planning on getting, I might be getting this 019 instead...

#71 · (Edited)
My hesitation with limited editions: Before I'd spend (relatively) big money on one, I'd like to know that parts will be available in 10 or 20 years and that serviceability will be practical in the future as well.

FWIW, that's why I bought my Sumo instead of an MM300. I've already dinged it hard enough that it required regulation afterward. I'm tough on my watches and I'm a DIYer. I generally buy based on that.

#72 ·
My hesitation with limited editions: Before I'd spend (relatively) big money on one, I'd like to know that parts will be available in 10 or 20 years and that serviceability will be practical in the future as well.

FWIW, that's why I bought my Sumo instead of an MM300. I've already dinged it hard enough that it required regulation afterward. I'm tough on my watches and I'm a DIYer. I generally buy based on that.
Yes, but the MM300 is an established product.

#74 · (Edited)
The SBDX019 really deserves its own thread.

Release date: July 2017
LIMITED EDITION: 2,000
Movement: 8L35
Case width: 39.65mm
Case thickness: 14.16mm
Crystal:
Lug width:
L2L:
Includes: Rubber divers strap & stainless steel bracelet
MSRP: $350,000 JPY

I'll update the specs as soon as they're available.

Cheers
Shannon

You can add curved sapphire crystal to the list.
CSG= SEIKO lingo for curved sapphire glass.

#89 · (Edited)
I wonder how much "can't see the forest for all the trees" but sort of.. Inverse, is going on on this Seiko forum. Let me explain. The 62MAS is in my opinion quite elegant. But the other re-releases shown earlier in the thread, with the swapped hands and all, were not so elegant. I wonder how much fanboyism gets in the way of critically viewing a new Seiko watch, especially one that is an homage to an old classic. The PADI Turtle and Zimbe for instance are just plain goofy looking. But people still bought them because they were "special".

#94 ·
What I really hate in the watch industry marketing habits, is that they ALWAYS leak some info or announce a novelty ... but can't deliver until months!
First, it's annoying to wait.
Second, I quite often get tired of the watch before it's even available! I would have much more watches if I could satisfy my sudden buying instincts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.