WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#407 ·
Don't worry it will arrive,I got mine from Rakuten Seiko's3 it took around week to arrive down under,still ok considering that it cost me $960AUD/870US.It is amazing watch witch put it to shame everything in my box.

#416 ·
Can anyone confirm/post a pic of their MM300 clasp to see if it also says "Titanium + St. Steel"?

I think what is happening here may be that Seiko actually only produces one clasp: the combination titanium and steel ratcheting extension. It is this clasp that is found on the MM600, MM300, and the SNDA59. The cost savings from streamlining the production into just one clasp are probably greater than the cost of additional titanium for watches that dont actually feature any titanium other than that found in this clasp.

As for scratches, titanium refinishes fairly easily, and in the end this is a tool watch. The added functionality from the extension is a huge plus, in my book. After a night of drinking in a hot bar, it was nice to be able to let the bracelet out a little to breathe.

#419 ·
Interesting, so the MM300 is a stainless steel watch with a stainless steel clasp. The SBBN015 Tuna is also stainless steel (right?) yet has the combo titanium/stainless clasp. The SNDA59 is also a stainless steel watch and also features the combo clasp.

I dont really understand the way these clasps get paired to the watches. Can someone post closeup shots of the MM600 clasp?

#420 ·
Got it yesterday and so far running about that same as my Sumo +2 spd! But who cares about accuracy, this watch feels like Air :-!
I got the same giddy feeling as when I upgraded from a heavy brick iPad 3 to the iPad Air as when I went from the Sumo to the Shogun. It looks boring in pictures, but in RL it looks very well proportioned with no 'loony tunes' bezel. The longer I compare them side by side, the more I'm happy I put the Sumo up for sale. (I have a pre-loved PO 2500 on the way to replace it as the 'heavy dress diver')

The Shogun IS NOT just a Ti Sumo...

Unfortunately, being a watch noob, I should've never tried on the cheap stock rubber straps and then tried to put the stock bracelet back on my own as even the Diashield was not impervious to my oaf skills as I proceeded to gouge the pristine lugs! o|

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#422 ·
Oh happy day! After being without a Shogun for a few months, a smooth trade deal with Rob has one inbound later this week. I feel partially responsible for the popularity of this great watch and will be thrilled to have one back on the wrist. Pics to follow on a couple days :)

#427 ·
I pulled the for sale sign off the hood and you managed to whisper sweet nothings in my ear. I caved. What can I say? I know she'll get more love from her new home than she was getting from me. She's a fine specimen but didn't grab my attention like she has yours.

What does this make? Your 5th or 6th Shogun? I'm not throwing stones. I'm on my 3rd Sumo.

Wear it well my friend!

#436 · (Edited)
You guys have been making me drool for months and months with your pics and testimonials. Now it's my turn! Haha

I gotta say, you guys were absolutely right. This watch exceeds expectations like only a handful can. The angles are just amazing.

Fit is excellent! Pins have collars on both ends which is new to me. But adjustment took me all of 4 minutes. All I had was a mechanical pencil and pliers lol

This watch is GREAT! I can just go on and on really lol

#442 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody!

I'm still "on my honeymoon" with the Shogun haha

Anyway, I wanted to show how this watch fits a 6.7in wrist...

I normally don't buy anything larger than 42mm that's why I had been holding out on the Shogun for a couple of years now. Measurements were all over the place. From 42mm to 45mm!

But when I got to see one in person and try one on, I was convinced. This watch fits me perfectly. It's right on my size limit but the angles, textures on this watch gives it some nice shadows.

Second, the bezel is smaller than the case, and draws your attention towards the center.

Third, the end links extend and slope a lot downward. This eliminates overhang because it's the bracelet that's extended and not the lugs.

So with your attention drawn in and the angles creating shadows, the watch suits a broad range of wrist sizes. It's officially measured as 43.5mm but it Looks 42mm. Pretty cool if you ask me.

#443 ·
You can expect a long honeymoon. I think I actually like mine more now than when I first got it - and that's saying something. Size looks great - I find it wears like a 44mm sometimes, and other times more like a 42. Probably a function of lighting. It is always comfortable. Wear it in good health. |>

#444 ·
Thanks man!

I'm a chronic flipper. So I'm not going to make myself look like a fool again saying stuff like this is the best watch ever or that this is 100% a keeper etc...lol

But it has been a while since I've NOT seen anything negative on a watch. Normally there's something. But since it's new, you don't mind it. But it ultimately makes you want to sell.

Last watch I felt this way was with my Yachtmaster.