WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#450 ·
Out of the box 30 days ago, for the first week mine was +4 seconds daily. Then it started dropping and has been a consistent -2 seconds daily for the last three weeks.

My Sumo when new six months ago started off at +8 seconds daily and settled at +4 seconds daily. No rhyme or reason to these unregulated movements, but still pretty impressive imo.

#458 ·
While Titanium itself maybe less prone to magnetism, the Shogun uses the same hairsprings as the lower end Seikos which are not resistant to magnetism like the Silicon springs like on some higher end watches nor is the movement shielded like on a Rolex Milgauss so I don't believe the Shogun is any more protected against magnetism as would a SS Sumo.

#463 ·
For those that have upgraded to AR sapphire, was it worth it? I have a planet ocean 2500 with double AR coated sapphire as my dress diver and it just blows away the hardlex on my Shogun. In many angles, the PO almost looks like it doesn't even have a crystal installed. OTOH, my shogun is much lighter and the diashield much more scratch resistant though hehe. Anyways, I'd love for my Shogun to have a similar crystal. Is the yobokies sapphire a high quality piece?

#469 ·
The Shogun has made a real mess of my collection. Since receiving it I wear nothing else. I put another watch on and an hour later I have the Shogun back on. I am holding off selling off any more pieces, but this is crazy. Seiko made a perfect watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hoppyjr
#470 ·
The Shogun has made a real mess of my collection. Since receiving it I wear nothing else. I put another watch on and an hour later I have the Shogun back on. I am holding off selling off any more pieces, but this is crazy. Seiko made a perfect watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Usually, whenever I get a new watch, I avoid saying stuff like this cause I turn out looking like an idiot when I flip it lol

But in this case, you know, it's damn near close - for the price and all...I mean, I've tried on other Swiss titanium divers like the Certina and the Pelagos. And I honestly believe this is better.

Ok, maybe it doesn't "beat" the Pelagos, and why should it when the Pelagos costs 3-4 times as much? But this wipes the floor with the Certina for sure. I know cause I owned the steel version and was about to buy the titanium one.

Most detractors will bit@h about the hour hand. But for me, it suits the watch since it matches the 12 marker. Next is the hardlex. Again, it works 90% as well as sapphire at less than half the cost, so it's fine by me.

#472 ·
Just received my Shogun in the mail this morning, and so far pretty dang impressed. My goal was to get a nice diver that I could bang around a little without worrying about but still look good doing it, and this one ticks all of those boxes. The weight is exactly what I have been looking for in divers, not too heavy nor too light.

The angular case, alternating polish and brush work, and overall finish remind me of why I keep sticking to Seiko to deliver on what my watch needs are. It feels light enough to wear comfortably throughout the day and looks thin enough to reasonably fit under most of my long sleeves. Clasp could use some improvement in terms of fit and comfort, but I can live with it or change it to rubber or nato if need be for more comfort.

Honestly, don't think I really have the itch for any other divers after getting the Shogun on the wrist. Only thing that would make me think about upgrading would be the same titanium case/finish, same size, and a better movement like the MM300. Need to break it in for a week or two to get my exact thoughts on it, but I'm very happy for now. If Seiko's listening, keep throwing out the crazy if you can occasionally come up with some homeruns like this one. This definitely will take up a solid spot in the rotation next to the GS's and the Credor.

#474 ·
Really happy for all you guys that you are loving your Shoguns! Though I sold mine to hoppyjr, I still consider it a great watch. Very accurate and comfortable. The watch wasn't for me but, then again, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place.

Enjoy!

#477 ·
Even with the PO in my watch box the Shogun gets plenty of wrist time due to its lightness, stealth, and scratch resistance. Let us know how the Oris works out for you. That was one of the others I considered in the Shogun's price range.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#483 ·
On my 2nd week owning this watch. totally loving it. Its losing a bit of time every night, but im trying out different orientations to regulate the time a bit better. Im also aware that because it was a new watch, that a break-in period may apply. How is the accuracy on other such watches? I'm also testing with my brothers Sarb which uses the same movement.