WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#533 ·
Dropped by Yodobashi store in Shinjuku today, left the store with Shogun on hand.
They had the last new in box piece, only the display one is left now... Not to say they will not restock, no idea if more will come. But when I saw the last one... had to get!
I changed to the MM style clasp as I have a few, I am very happy with this unplanned addition. Actually, very very pleased with the looks, feel and finish of the Seiko Shogun.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#536 ·
Love this lengthy discussion on the Shogun, great views and reviews---now I just have to figure out how to hide this one from the Wife....;).

Curious; where and how did the Shogun, and the Sumo and Samurai for that matter, get the nicknames? The 'Tuna' makes sense but with those 3 it seems like there should be a some sort of cool story behind it.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatapatapatalk

#550 ·
Love this lengthy discussion on the Shogun, great views and reviews---now I just have to figure out how to hide this one from the Wife....;).

Curious; where and how did the Shogun, and the Sumo and Samurai for that matter, get the nicknames? The 'Tuna' makes sense but with those 3 it seems like there should be a some sort of cool story behind it.

Cheers!
After checking this topic I strapped my Shogun again.Farilius am not sure why Shogun got that nick name,am sure that Samurai was nicknamed after shape of hands that look a like samurai sword,Sumo was nicknamed after case design of number font on a bazel.
There was a WUS (I believe) member who reviewed it way back when it first launched in 2008 or 2009. I remember looking at the thread, it had good pics and it was there that the term was coined.

All this talk of Shogun makes me really want another.

I'd also love to see a MM300 in the same titanium construction as the Shogun - that would be beyond love...... :)
Thats basically what the MM600 is, along with a springdrive movement.

Dropped by Yodobashi store in Shinjuku today, left the store with Shogun on hand.
They had the last new in box piece, only the display one is left now... Not to say they will not restock, no idea if more will come. But when I saw the last one... had to get!
I changed to the MM style clasp as I have a few, I am very happy with this unplanned addition. Actually, very very pleased with the looks, feel and finish of the Seiko Shogun.
I did the same, except with the MM600 clasp that is titanium. I do like the adjustability feature, but it just doesnt look as good when it is ratcheted/extended outwards and sometimes the edges of the ratcheting mechanism can be pokey.

If Seiko can come up with a bracelet to rival the Pelagos I am sold

I can not find a SBDC009 (Orange Shogun) in stock anywhere D:

I want one so bad for my orange dialed watch! Tons of black dial SBDC007 available for cheap.... But I need that orange :(
SBDC007 for cheap! You are ballin son. You can probably use an aftermarket dial or a dial from another orange Seiko that fits the movement.

Gentlemen, if the market for titanium divers remains as slim as it does I think we may have a valuable collectible on our hands. At the very least, one we wont ever really lose money on.

#538 ·
After checking this topic I strapped my Shogun again.Farilius am not sure why Shogun got that nick name,am sure that Samurai was nicknamed after shape of hands that look a like samurai sword,Sumo was nicknamed after case design of number font on a bazel.

#541 ·
Knife Utility knife Blade Everyday carry Tool
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist
My Shogun arrived this morning. People mention how light it is but until you hold it you really can't imagine for yourself how light it feels. I was wearing an Omega SeaMaster Titanium watch and the Shogun feels noticeably lighter!
This is also the first Seiko Hardlex that looks like a mineral crystal. The finish on the entire watch is beautiful. I didn't even need to resize the band. It fits perfect. I am very pleased with my recent purchase. I even took a few pictures.

#543 ·
This is also the first Seiko Hardlex that looks like a mineral crystal. The finish on the entire watch is beautiful. I didn't even need to resize the band. It fits perfect. I am very pleased with my recent purchase. I even took a few pictures.
Thanks to this forum I've decided I will buy one soon, I really love this watch!
Can you please explain me something more about the hardlex?

#553 · (Edited)
Talks of it being discontinued started a couple of years ago. It's not even in the 2013 catalog. They're scarce but you can still get them in some AD's new today.

So, it's either they're still being made in extremely small quantities or they're limiting the available stocks they're putting out OR they're selling more than they can make.

#563 ·
I really love my Shogun, but my bezel insert has a fairly obvious alignment issue. Will Seiko fix this, or is there any compatible replacement insert? I bought a ceramic insert on ebay, but the dimensions were off, and it honestly didn't look that good when mocked up. I'd like to get the insert fixed then go ahead with replacing the crystal with a sapphire.

#569 ·
The watch looks much more expensive in person than it does in pictures. The finishing is awesome! I love brushed finishes with just a minimum of polish and the Shogun fits the bill perfectly. If you have a wrist larger than 7.5" you may want to order extra links because it just fits my wrist at 7.25 with a little room to spare. It really is the most comfortable watch I have. It is light but doesn't feel cheap. The watch wears much smaller than the dimensions suggest. I'll do some side by side shots with my Stargate soon.

The only negative is that the solid end links do not rotate and will not allow the watch to lay flat when off the wrist. I'm surprised no one ever mentioned that.

Yes I would order again. I wish I did it a long time ago instead of toying with all the lower priced seiko's I've tried.

#570 ·
The watch looks much more expensive in person than it does in pictures. The finishing is awesome! I love brushed finishes with just a minimum of polish and the Shogun fits the bill perfectly. If you have a wrist larger than 7.5" you may want to order extra links because it just fits my wrist at 7.25 with a little room to spare. It really is the most comfortable watch I have. It is light but doesn't feel cheap. The watch wears much smaller than the dimensions suggest. I'll do some side by side shots with my Stargate soon.

The only negative is that the solid end links do not rotate and will not allow the watch to lay flat when off the wrist. I'm surprised no one ever mentioned that.

Yes I would order again. I wish I did it a long time ago instead of toying with all the lower priced seiko's I've tried.
Congrats! A great watch, if it fits. It is IMHO Seiko's best 6r15 or 200M diver. The Ti treatment makes it more resistant to scratches than SS.

The Shogun is 51mm in length, compered to your Cyclopse's 50mm. So the Shogun should wear bigger I would think. How wide is the flat area on top of your wrist, where the watch sits? Are the lugs resting on your wrist, or suspended in air? For me, the Shogun was just just a tad too big; I have a 7 1/4" wrist, but unfortunately more rounded. 48mm is as far as I can go in length.

#571 ·
I think i'm in the market for a Shogun (Sumo still crosses my mind though)
I live in the EU, so i will have to get it via import, i was thinking about Seiya as i heard some good stories, but their site is down for maintenance for some time now.
Higuchi doesn't sell it anymore (he told me via email).
I guess i'll have to use ebay. Anyone experience with shoppinginjapan? Their feedback seems ok.
I would also settle for a used one.

#572 ·
Your timing is looking pretty good for the FromJapan 15% Rakuten sale... Anything from Rakuten is 15% using FromJapan service.

Shogun should come out to roughly $830 for a new one, at least $100 below what the big 3 JDM dealers are selling it for. For me personally, I wanted the assurance of Higuchi as an AD for Seiko, but $100 is a good chunk of change!