WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#695 ·
#702 ·
Im in since 3 months. At first I was feeling same as a lot of people stated. Damn its featherweight, feels cheap on wrist, no heft !

This vanished wearing it as daily. The mineral glass worried me but the message some steps above just displays the perfect picture to explain my meaning. This surf green aspect when lights hits the crystal, letting you also see how nice the hands are polished make it all for me.

Luck of draw movement wise for me too. -2s/day and leaving it on the glass for a sleep at night it wins 2s. So its almost +0 for me

My only downfalls are about the diashield coating being such fingerprints sensitive and my crown is not really smooth when I'm unscrewing it. I clearly feel some friction on the thread. Did someone experience the same or has it to be this way ?

I'll post some pics, this watch deserves it.

Barnefko, I was all about putting on rubber too but give the bracelet a try. Its my only watch I don't toy around with straps.

#706 ·
My only downfalls are about the diashield coating being such fingerprints sensitive and my crown is not really smooth when I'm unscrewing it. I clearly feel some friction on the thread. Did someone experience the same or has it to be this way ?
Seiko crowns, in general, have gritty threads.

Many have brushed the threads and then run wax dental floss around the threads to make them buttery smooth. I do it to all of my watches and have noticed that the Seikos do much, much better. In fact, these days I clean the threads immediately before I screw it down even once.

#705 ·
Mine just came in a few days ago and already has become the go to watch..

The weight when first held in my hand threw me but after sizing and wearing I realized I had something special in this one and all doubt faded quickly.

View attachment 2499746
I'm curious if you've tried on or owned a Pelagos before. No reason other than suddenly they look so similar by specs.

#707 · (Edited)
Hi Dave,
i bought 3 Sumos within the Last 4 months. 2 from Seiya-san and one from Chino. One is just a Little bit misaglined, 2 are badly misaligned and the Orange one has a particle on the dial. I have lost my believe in the Seiko quality efforts to be honest. Both sellers, Seiya and Chino mentioned on their homepages that misalignments at Seiko watches are common and no Reason for customers to complain at the dealer. Ok, also Toyata has a lack of quality meanwhile ;-) maybe i should switch to German made watches. I also drive a VW car.
Cheers
TSC

#708 ·
Hi Dave,
i bought 3 Sumos within the Last 4 months. 2 from Seiya-san and one from Chino. One is just a Little bit misaglined, 2 are badly misaligned and the Orange one has a particle on the dial...
I bought my shogun about an year ago and had the misaligned chapter ring that was discussed in a separate thread. Still have the watch. Great looking watch, but still find it unacceptable that an item at this price point could get past QA and be shipped to a customer.

#709 ·
Just purchased a very good condition Shogun at a local jewelry store that had just taken it in on trade.

I'm loving it. Everything is spot on and correctly aligned.

I paid just about standard Internet price for the complete kit. Worth the slight premium to see it in person.

I think this watch might be the one. F27 might get some posts from me soon.

--

Bb

#714 · (Edited)
Sumo vs. Shogun comparison....

I have owned both the black and blumo Sumo for about 6 months. I recently acquired the Shogun a few weeks ago. I have had it long enough now to be able to make a fair assessment between the two. Other than the obvious being the crown at 3 o'clock on the Shogun and the light weight of the titanium, and as most people know, the lug width is 20mm on the Sumo and 22mm on the Shogun. No big deal, but I personally like the wider width of the Shogun.

The Shogun has become my everyday watch because of the comfort factor and the fear of getting the Sumos scratched has kept them in the drawer. Even though they both have the same guts, the Sumos tend to be a few seconds slow, whereas the Shogun runs just a few seconds fast. Could be a break-in factor. But a lot easier to set the time by pulling the crown and letting the seconds "catch up." The only other thing of importance I've noticed is the lume is a good bit brighter on the Sumos. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. Don't get me wrong, the lume on the Shogun is quite bright, just not quite as bright. It seems as though the lume dot in the bezel is smaller on the Shogun as well. And the fact that the 12 position has less lume because of the dividing line going all the way through it.

Nevertheless, the Shogun is definitely a keeper. In fact, I have bids on the black Sumo on ebay already. I'll save the blue Sumo for special occasions.

#715 ·
I'm also very pleased with my Shogun. I find the lume a bit disappointing as well and prefer it on rubber over the bracelet. I think you'll need to wear the watch a bit longer to see how the movement "wears in". Mine started out fast but settled in slow (-4 seconds per day as measured on a vibrograph), I lay it face down at night and it stays pretty close

#719 ·
Has anybody seen/looked at the Shogun compared to any of the Damaskos with a rotating bezel?
I can't get over the feeling that the Shogun is a little bit too big for my wrists (the upper lug hangs over my wrist and creates a gap with the bracelet falling away at almost 90 degrees, if that's any indication of how small they are) and am wondering if the Damasko would wear a little smaller.
I see that the Shogun has wider case but the same bezel diameter, and is ~1mm taller overall than a Damasko (looking at a DA44).
That said, they're both solid workhorses with anti-scratching tech (though....my Shogun clasp has significant wear, as do 2 of the links....)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.