WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#767 · (Edited)
Gents, I recently picked up a Shogun from Ptern on WUS and eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I have to tell you that I did a ton of research and it was a toss up between the Blumo (to then mod up), the 50th Anniversary SBDC027 and the Shogun but the Shogun won my heart. Although I feel all Seiko divers should have a 4 O'Clock Crown, you just can't pass up the Shogun. My wife told me to wait awhile for a Tudor Pelagos and get 'a proper watch' and my grail the GS Snowflake but I just couldn't resist. From your posts I strongly feel I made the right decision.

The only thing I think I'll be changing to a sapphire crystal and maybe the hands for Grand Seiko Diver hands. What do you think?

#770 · (Edited)
My Shogun arrived the other day and I just couldn't be happier. After a few months of research and fence sitting I made my decision. I scoured the new and used markets for a decent diver worthy of a replacement to my trusty 7002-7009 (pictured). I went from Chris Wards to Steinharts to Armidas to potentially waiting for a Tudor Pelagos. Most were simply too Submariner-ish. As much as I like the Submariner I'd rather just buy one instead of buying a homage to it. In the end just I couldn't wait as it was consuming me and remained faithful to Seiko. My all original 7002-7009 has treated me well since the first day I bought it in 1989, how could I stray? Sure it doesn't have hacking or hand winding but it's been with me for this long without a single service and more than a normal man's experiences and fond memories. The choice narrowed down to the Sumo to then heavily modify or the Shogun. Then the LE Sumo SBDC027 was released but I just couldn't justify the price. I ended up pulling the pin on a used Shogun here on WUS in near mint condition at a very reasonable price. I think all Seiko divers should have the crown at 4 O'clock but on the Shogun, I'm willing to make an exception.

At first I was very weary of the hardlex crystal and the Monster hands but in the flesh they suit the watch very well. The difference between what you see in a picture and what's in front of your eyes and in your hands is huge. This is a very classy watch. The slight variations between polished and satin is very well done. The way that the polished indices reflect in the light shows that this is a serious watch. The lume is absolutely blinding. I actually laugh as I walk into even a dimly lit room from outside. I forgot how well Seiko does it's lume. At this point, I don't want to change anything about this watch. Even though I've heard it makes a huge difference, Sapphire can wait.

Then there's the weight. Even the bracelet is just feather light. It's scary. If one didn't know any better or that it was titanium you would think it was just another Seiko. The bracelet even has this unique sound when it moves. Upon opening the box and inspecting my new acquisition, I handed it to my wife for a feel. She was expecting a heavier watch, gave it an up and down shake and ended up dropping it on the floor. I cringed thinking that was the best five minutes I had with the watch but the Diashield and Seiko's legendary toughness held up. I've never had such a light watch and was a bit worried as just a week ago a work colleague returned straight from Guangzhou with an absolutely stunning Submariner copy that he picked up for $65 USD that had the weight of the real thing. Amazing copy until you unscrew the crown or listen to the movement. There were a few other giveaways but I digress. I liked the weight of the replica and of my other Seiko diver and wondered if I could live with such a light watch. After strapping the Shogun on, definitely. The Shogun simply melts into your wrist. Slapping on the Zulu even more so as you don't have a clasp catching on the desk or other things throughout the day. It sits higher than the bracelet but that's not an issue. I've already ordered three more NATO's and Zulus.

The only negs I see are the bezel movement, it could be firmer, and the clasp on the bracelet. I'm going straight NATOs or Zulu's so that's not going to be such an issue.

Anyway, thanks for all of your assistance as I lurked and researched. Perhaps, in a couple of years (or months) I'll hopefully be ranting about my Grand Seiko Snowflake.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Attachments

#778 ·
My Shogun with a new Hadley Roma strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brown

#780 · (Edited)
The Shogun is larger especially in the lug length. My 7002, which is very similar to the SKX, is slightly taller than the Shogun and is much deeper especially the chapter ring. The Shogun wears like a smaller watch though.

At first I liked the stock Ti bracelet and it looks quite classy but once you change it out for a NATO or Zulu it turns into a totally different watch. It's both classy and more rugged looking. To the point where I've removed the Oyster bracelet from my 7002 and replaced it with a *quality* black Zulu. It's like I've just bought a new watch.

Speaking of the SKX and I only just noticed this, the crown sits at 3.75 O'Clock where my 7002 sits dead center on 4 O'Clock. For years I thought they were pretty much identical except for the DateDate and the Movement.

#786 ·
Just picked up a shogun after trying a good amount of other divers that just didn't do it for me. I've had an especially hard time finding a watch that's just the right size for my biggish wrist (>7.5), and I think I've finally found it. Minus a few minor things I would change in a perfect world (the crown guard, the angled lugs, the somewhat odd bracelet), this is as close to an ideal diver as I've found so far.

I'm extremely happy with my shogun.

#788 ·
I have to say with only short time, the Shogun has become my favorite watch. I was on the fence and seriously thought of returning at one point, but now glad I gave it a shot.

It is also the first watch I've had that I found appropriate on a NATO strap. The weight makes it in my opinion. Also, after forming the dive strap it came with, I'm liking that band too. GasGasBones strap in the future though.

Still don't think I'll have off the bracelet much though. Pics maybe once I get recovered from surgery.

#789 ·
I nearly pulled the pin on a Monster Tuna at the Incheon Airport in South Korea the other day. Just looking but the guy offered me a really hot price that was really hard to resist. He was especially interested in my Shogun on the Bond Nato strap and couldn't believe how light it was.

Since buying it, two things really stand out besides the quality and the weight; the elegant black dial finish and way the polished silver indices and hands reflect the light while the white of lume stays flat. Beautiful combination.

#793 ·
Was in Paris last week and stopped in the Seiko Boutique to try to get a replacement gasket for my Monster. Ended up eyeing the Blumo and Shogun, while the Mrs patiently waited. As much as I wanted the Blumo, it seemed a bit redundant as I have a BNIB Sumo LE waiting for me at my parents' house (postal service is too risky to send where I live, and import taxes are unpredictable when sending DHL, thus I won't get my hands on it for a few more months).

Anyways, my wife actually encouraged me to buy the Blumo at the 600€ MSRP! Suddenly, I sensed a rare opportunity to blow a few bucks on a watch and started negotiating the Shogun's price. Unfortunately, their lowest price wasn't quite low enough, and we walked away. As soon as we got a block away, we remembered TAX REFUNDS! So after a quick calculation, she told me to go for it, so we turned around and it hasn't left my wrist since (except a quick return to the package for the customs inspection).

This manages to be a perfect everyday watch without being a beater. The large case avoids being big & loud, the titanium feels like butter, the hour hand perfectly matches the 12 o'clock marker, the lume is superb. My only complaint is that I didn't realize the lug width is 22mm and all my natos are too small! Need to figure out a good resting position, as she's gained 30 seconds in 6 days.

Now that I've got this beauty, there might also be a problem finding wrist time to wear the Sumo LE when I finally get it!

Here she is on the wrist, keeping me distracted on my first day back in the office.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#799 ·
Really???

Do a little homework and you will learn a lot. With many popular Seiko models the "watch nerd community" bestows a nickname; Shogun, Sumo, etc. This one was, if I recall accurately, named here on WUS. Search "Shogun SBDC007" and look at some of the first posts.

SCUBA is there because it's a divers watch. Automatic is there because it's an automatic watch.