WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#890 ·
Damn it Seiko. You can make titanium coated so that it has no scratches after over a year of casual wear.... But your damn Hardlex still gets scratched >_<

Scratch is on the Seiko writing. On the E and I. Then it is hard to see due to potato, but it is over the back end of the hands in the 2nd picture. >_<!!

Time to go about upgrading my Orange 009 crystal to sapphire... Any suggestions?

#891 ·
The Dagaz domed sapphire crystals are actually made in the USA. You want the one for the Sumo (same crystal) and I would install a new gasket at the same time, just to be safe.

Duarte @ Northeast Watch Works is an "authorized" Dagaz dealer, so he may have one in stock. Certainly Jack (IWW) or Jay (MCWW) can also do this install.

I've always said how much I like the "warm" look of the Hardlex crystal, and I really do, but the Dagaz dome is really nice too. I only wish Jake specified a tan or clear anti-reflective coating, rather than the common bluish one. Omega made the change to clear on the Planet Ocean and it looks much better. Also FWIW, I believe the Dagaz is only coated on the inside, so no worries about buggering up the outside with normal wear.

Analog watch Watch accessory Orange Fashion accessory Watch
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Orange Strap Material property
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Strap

#893 ·
The flat looks good too. 5561nicholas posted photos of his with flat sapphire, black date wheel, and polished chapter ring. I absolutely love the looks.

Dagaz doesn't sell the flat for the Sumo/Shogun, so either Yobokies or eBay are your options for that.

#899 ·
Ok, guys, after reading this entire thread I'm going to purchase the shogun. Only issue is the possible misalignment possibility. I looked on Seiya's website (have ordered from him previously and great to deal with) and they have the disclaimer about alignment. Should i just bite the bullet, order from Seiya, forget the disclaimer, go out and howl at the next full moon for good luck and let it happen and see? Sounds like Seiya will not inspect each watch prior to selling?? I'm a little confused.

Thanks

#907 ·
Hi everyone, I’ve been back and forth deciding between a shogun and sumo for some time now but decided to go for the shogun as I’ll end up buying one eventually anyway. I have a few questions if you don’t mind.
Has production of these watches finished? I read conflicting reports and the only online retailer I can find showing stock is seiko3s.
Alternatively I could pop over to japan, and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience buying in stores there, any recommendations?

#908 ·
Hi everyone, I've been back and forth deciding between a shogun and sumo for some time now but decided to go for the shogun as I'll end up buying one eventually anyway. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
Has production of these watches finished? I read conflicting reports and the only online retailer I can find showing stock is seiko3s.
Alternatively I could pop over to japan, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience buying in stores there, any recommendations?
I've also heard of this model being discontinued but it seems like it's more that production is very limited. The Shogun has a complex case out of titanium with additional brightz and diashield treatments.

So you don't see these out that much but they're still available. You just have to search.

An online favorite is Seiyajapan (though he's out now and you just have to keep checking).

I was able to see a Shogun at a store in Ginza. At the Waco building there's a Seiko dealer.

Of course, once in a while, they have them at Bic Camera, Yodobashi etc...

2nd hand is good too because the diashield does an Excellent job protecting the case. I got mine 2nd hand and it looked brand new. I sold it after a year with only a couple of hairline scratches.

#916 ·
View attachment 5114322

View attachment 5114346

Such a beautiful watch, I like the fact that it is light weight due it's aluminium construction. Everything about it screams classy, I disagree that it is trying to be a sub rip off, it has it's own unique looking dial. It is 99.9% perfect, apart from the marker misalignment at 12 o'clock, can't have everything right!
It's titanium not aluminum, fortunately.
[emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk