WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#88 ·
Two questions for all you Shogun owners:

1). Clasp: the locking lever (guess that's what it's called?) on the one I just got does not "click" into place. I'm talking about the second step in closing the clasp, after the folded part clicks together. The second step is to close the small flap with the "SEIKO" logo on it. There are two small holes on either side "click" over the protruding ends of the pin that holds the one of the clasp plates to the clasp itself. On my Shogun, the holes and the pin do not line up, especially on one side. The clasp lock (with the SEIKO logo) can pop up if you put pressure on the clasp. I have a SARB 059 and BFK, both of which seem to use a steel version of the same clasp. On both of those, the holes and pin line up perfectly, and "click" securely shut. Can you please let me know if your clasps line up and click closed?

2). The stem: My new Shogun is very tight to open. I'm not talking cross-threaded. Or dirty\gritty. Just much tighter when opening and closing. Once open, it feels the same. I have two SARB's that use the same movement (059 and 021). I also had a MM300. All 3 feel the same: open and close easy.

Any insights much appreciated. This is a great watch, but I just got it form one of the good places in Japan, so if something is not quite right I want to take care of it what I can.

#94 ·
Two questions for all you Shogun owners:

1). Clasp: Can you please let me know if your clasps line up and click closed?

2). The stem: My new Shogun is very tight to open.
1) My SBDC007's secondary clasp w/ with the spring pins and holes does line up perfectly and positively snap closed.

2) The stem/crown action on mine seems fine, not what I'd call very tight.

Hope this helps.

#90 ·
nepatriot,

On your 2. question, mine too is a bit tough to screw in or out when the crown gets closer to the case. I'm hoping it'll get better after awhile. I have had similar "issues" with a sarb and sumo, but after a few months it smoothed out and are fine.

#92 ·
I sort of understand. When fully closing the clasp, you are asking if the two "protruding balls" click into the clasp? Mine doesn't quite snap together like a stainless version, but I assumed it was some titanium thing. Maybe a property of the metal. (I could be completely wrong). If I close it quickly they go into place. But slowly I have to put a little extra pressure to have the other engage.

#102 ·
It's kind of funny, the Shogun has been around a few years and was largely looked down upon by the watch nerd community when it was released. "Too expensive", "Not worth it compared to Sumo", "No way I'd pay that much for it!", "I hate those Monster hands", etc, etc, etc.

Here we are today and this watch has finally "caught on" and guys are starting to realize what an outstanding piece it is, a great value overall, comfortable, handsome, and the "Monster hands" are really quite nice in person. I'm glad this has happened, but it's too bad it had to be at the end of it's production run. Oh well, better resale for us I guess.....:-!

Attachments

#103 ·
Couldn't agree with you more Hoppy. I think it could be a combination of the samurai and sumo being such bargains. I don't think the shogun is a bargain but nor do I think it is overpriced.
Aesthetically, I've felt the shogun was one of the best looking divers and have always wanted one. It was a fortunate combination of getting a better paying job and the news of its discontinuation which sparked to buying it.

And there is no way I'm selling mine!

#115 · (Edited)
Glad to help my friend :)

Actually, a few guys came before me (Dennis Smith, Arkane, Thieuster, and Cubbiepants - sorry if I missed anyone) and their pics really had me falling hard for the Shogun. I just liked it and have been happily infecting anyone who listens or views my posts :-d

It's a fantastic watch and really did get a bit of a bad start, but those who have had it will surely agree that it's special.