WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#1,363 · (Edited)
I decided it was time to join the Shogun family..

Georgefl74, you may notice one that is missing, don't worry - he is still here!
Congrats Sean, just caught up with the thread! You'd be hard pressed to find a better diver if you're in the market for a comfortable watch. I know I am, in fact waiting right now for a grail that is not a diver. Shogun kills off the competition up to $4k

Do try the Landmaster on the MM300 rubber. Its a fantastic combo

#1,390 ·
I keep trying to convince myself to get the SBDC029. It's gorgeous. It's easy to find, and the X isn't really bad... But this photo helped me realize the issue isn't the X. It's that I just really love the script typeface used for "Automatic" and the more open look of the SBDC007's face.

It's awesome in black and orange!

So, I guess I'll just have to wait for a no X Shogun to come up in the Sales Corner...

#1,379 ·
I am only brave enough to modify mine with a bracelet from my SBBN031 Tuna at the moment. I think it looks great with this fitted. The black date wheel mod does look the business.

I have watched Georgefl74's video with the same mod; seeing the above photo makes me wish Seiko had made it like that in the first place.
There's a small problem with this mod. The black date wheel is very slightly off-center and to the left. Mine is, and I see that Laff79's too. I don't know where Yobokies sources those datewheels from but I have a suspicion that they're not 6R15 datewheels but from the 7S26. They're very similar in construction but not identical it appears.

#1,378 ·
I am only brave enough to modify mine with a bracelet from my SBBN031 Tuna at the moment. I think it looks great with this fitted. The black date wheel mod does look the business.

I have watched Georgefl74's video with the same mod; seeing the above photo makes me wish Seiko had made it like that in the first place.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#1,381 · (Edited)
A bit late to the party, just received my SBDC029, very very nice piece.. :-! (My photo doesn't do it justice)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I don't know what it is about divers, just really appeals to my eyes..
Have already collected most of the "signature" divers in the Seiko family, SKX, Turtle, Blumo, MM300, Tuna and two GS..
Wanted a nice-ish tool watch that's not break my wrist heavy, ended up checking this thread from page one.. by page 48 I was ready to click the "buy it now" button.

Some thoughts..
- Everything said in this thread is true.. it is a really nice Ti diver, don't mind the prospex X or the automatic font.
- Very happy that my inner bezel is lined up perfectly.
- The Ti is extremely nice, perfect mix of polishing and brushing..
- The watch wears smaller than Sumo and the 44mm spec suggests, though L2L is plenty long and doesn't curve down as much, not the best for my tiny wrist.
- The bracelet is really clunky, especially the clasp, will try the MM clasp and see.. the pin & collar is quite fiddly, but manageable..
- Overall finish and shine gives it a more mature feel than Sumo, Turtle, SKX..
- Is it an over priced piece? I don't think so, it is more refined than Sumo, the Ti alone is worth the price difference.
- Did I mention how nice the Ti is? :-d:);-)

#1,391 ·
I love almost everything about my Shogun. It is the most comfortable watch in my large collection. It is the perfect size. It has an incredibly accurate movement. It is very versatile and can be worn with so many different straps and bracelets. I don't wear it much because of that hour hand.