WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#1,535 ·
Hmmm...that ^^ really does look like the dial is ever so slightly protruding forward on its base. The blue of the dial against the black on the dial ring makes it easier to see. I think its quite visible if you compare top green circle you drew to the bottom right circle. The distance between the bottom of the 60' index and the dial seems larger than the distance of the top of the 30' index and the dial. If that's the case then its a very easy fix. Then again, that's a big if. But it sure doesn't look like the usual bug found on an SKX. Weird.

I kinda think I had one of those in my Shogun but it mysteriously went away after I gave it for some repairs that necessitated removing the movement from the case (including the dial and hands). I guess it was 'fixed' when the movement was put back into place. One of those things that make you go 'hmmmm'

#1,539 · (Edited)

I will sleep like a baby ...

I mean don't get me wrong I wish it would be perfect, specially that costs an arm and a leg over regular Shogun... but with the time passing (gettin' old) I realized that flaws and qualities give us/things character, it's part of the charm and defines them what they really are.

Now, would I choose a perfect Shogun over a flawed Shogun ZImbe? Not in a thousand years....

But that doesn't means Seiko should get away with it and not fix each individual piece since it's a Limited Edition ...kind of disappointing for a LE. This is a big slap over Thailand's watch market face

#1,540 ·
Agree 100% Mike, sometimes hard to tell when written/typed but I was being sarcastic re how you'll sleep ;-)

The alignment issue (which is often a non-issue rather than an issue) has plagued many a Seiko watch over the years including regular pieces, LE pieces, Japanese made and non-Japanese made pieces so I don't agree it's specifically a slap in the Thai watch face, rather Seiko's face.

If it wasn't for Instant and his macro shots I honestly don't think I'd have noticed as, as I've mentioned previously, unless the misalignment is at the 12oclcock area (which has often been the case) it's not something that stands out. I feel lucky to have one whether perfectly aligned or half a mm out :)

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

#1,547 ·
Never heard of anyone having an alignment issue fixed under warranty by Seiko, I know of a few who have had it done independently with their Sumo, Turtles etc at a watch repair shop but would be interesting to know if anyone has ever had it done under warranty? After all, it's an issue that has plagued Seiko for some time, the cost of fixing every misaligned piece would be huge.

#1,560 ·
New to this thread with some basic questions.

My wrist hovers right around 8", give or take a bit.
I've read that the Shogun can be a tight fit for that size.

My questions:

Where can one order extra bracelet links from, I'm in the USA?

I've come to understand Seiko JDM parts can be hard to come by for rest of world customers.

Are gaskets easier to acquire and where would one find those?

Where, if anyone has done so, do you send it for service, Especially pressure tests and gasket service?

Thanks all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,561 ·
I called Seiko USA service center in New Jersey just now to inquire about extra links for the bracelet.

The woman on the phone said that she couldn't even find a reference for the links because the watch is JDM.

The only option I was given was to send the watch into the device center. She said that only then could they 'attempt' to find the links.

I have a hard time believing that this is the best Seiko USA has to offer.
Very frustrating.

If any of you owners have an extra link that you could part with, pretty sure I need 2 total, please do send me a PM.

#1,562 ·
I called Seiko USA service center in New Jersey just now to inquire about extra links for the bracelet.

The woman on the phone said that she couldn't even find a reference for the links because the watch is JDM.

The only option I was given was to send the watch into the device center. She said that only then could they 'attempt' to find the links.

I have a hard time believing that this is the best Seiko USA has to offer.
Very frustrating.

If any of you owners have an extra link that you could part with, pretty sure I need 2 total, please do send me a PM.

Try contacting the Seiko Japan Service Center since it's JDM only.

https://www.seikowatches.com/support/customer/asia.html

#1,568 ·
Having just read the previous posts about the alignment issues I checked mine. Looks like mine suffers from the same problem. It seems to be most noticeable on the chapter ring at 6. It doesn't look like it is simply a case of rotating the chapter ring though as the 12 seems to be lined up. More a case of a poorly printed chapter ring?

#1,570 · (Edited)
Re: The "Official" Shogun Thread

I also didn't notice myself, it wasn't until a friend in Singapore pointed out his that I noticed and only then because I knew what I was looking for. As a little test a few days later I asked my wife and some friends to inspect it closely and see if they could find any faults and all four said no, even when I pointed it out they didn't really see the issue.

The Zimbe Turtle when misaligned was so at the 12 marker which made it much more obvious, the Zimbe Shogun is less so and at a less obvious location so people usually don't notice unless they know exactly what they are looking for. It's a non-issue for me and it still gets more positive comments than anything else I've worn lately.

#1,572 ·
Another owner of the Shogun Zimbe just said this...

'after further inspection it is only the rehaut minute track that is misaligned which can be easily fixed and not the marker itself. Still bothersome by Seiko because it is such a well known problem for them but it is what it is. So I may have to wait a few days and spend a few Euros but after that I will have a perfect watch.'

#1,573 ·
Well, sold my sbbn033 Tuna and picked up a sbdc029 from the sales section for IMO a great Price. Even has a flat sapphire crystal.

Ive got a mm300 clasp waiting for it.

I think my mm300, Sumo, and the Shogun will be a good seiko trio. SKX will stay as well. Still undecided if I want to keep my Padi turtle.

#1,574 ·
Well, sold my sbbn033 Tuna and picked up a sbdc029 from the sales section for IMO a great Price. Even has a flat sapphire crystal.

Ive got a mm300 clasp waiting for it.

I think my mm300, Sumo, and the Shogun will be a good seiko trio. SKX will stay as well. Still undecided if I want to keep my Padi turtle.
Please post some photos when you get it, curious to see the shogun with flat sapphire crystal, thanks! :)

#1,578 ·
Re: The "Official" Shogun Thread

#228 reporting in! Thanks to fellow member Biggles3 for the help in acquiring it.

Misaligned as expected. Its a pest for photos but otherwise not really mind. I'll wear the watch for a couple of months to see if the movement requires any regulating and if it does I'll have it fixed.

Thinking of switching the date wheel to a black one and even the dial ring to a polished one. Hmmm...