WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#123 ·
Not bad? That's freaking terrific!

I like automatics because you never have to worry that your watch will die on you in the middle of the day. Actually had that happen to me with two different quartz watches in the last 3 years. That's just annoying. Mechanical watches can be quite accurate.

Reactions: Hoppyjr
#125 ·
I'm seriously considering this for my first serious watch purchase. My one reservation is that my wrists are on the small side (6.75") although somewhat flat. There seems to be some controversy about how the similarly sized Sumo rides on smaller wrists. I was considering a Sumo for awhile but I like the proportions of the Shogun better. If you have a similarly sized writs let me know what you think, and if you could provide a picture, that would be so helpful. Thanks.

#130 ·
Hey guys,

I just found this official shogun thread. I just bought my Seiko Shogun yesterday and waiting for it in the mail. All of the pictures on this thread really gets me excited. I keep hearing how its a great mix between the sumo and the MM300. I havent handled any of the watches as I am here in Canada and no stores have them. I hope all of my expectations are met, especially since most of the posts say that you have to handle the watch to get a good idea of the quality.

Anyways I will post some pictures of the watch when I get the chance.

#143 ·
I'm in the club (watch has arrived at my place) but no pics yet, since it's my birthday present to myself... and my birthday is in 9 days !
I must confess that upon receiving the parcel I did open it and check that the watch was as beautiful in the metal than in the pics (actually it looks even better, I think!) and that it worked (surprisingly enough it was actually ticking right from the box, so the movements during transportation had been enough to wind it a bit!).

Can't wait to have it at my wrist. I'm a fan of all things titanium (watches, knives, fountain pens... ) and the diashield really comes as a big bonus in this one... I never really understood why many were criticizing its price, OK it's much more than the sumo, but the case in brightz + diashield more than explains it... And fit and finish seem better. Only thing they share is the size (more or less) and the movement.

#146 ·
Well, being serious and all, I did wait for the actual date of my B'day, yesterday. But now, it's on my wrist, and it'll certainly stay there for quite some time! It's so light, comfortable, looking superb but in a rather subdued way. Top !

Gotta get a nice drink to doubly celebrate, my birthday and my joining the Shogun owners' club!

#151 · (Edited)
Giving this thread a bump as I just picked up my second Shogun in 3 months. Will not be selling this one as quickly as the last. Can't get over how comfortable it is. No pics of the new one but these should do.