WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#1,892 ·
Hello all, first post, but have been lurking for a while. Pulled the trigger on a mint 007 last night on the bay. Paid a premium, but watch was right and include all original papers/box/warranty.

I choose this watch over both TAGs and Oris I was looking at, because 1) I love the look. 2) Even at a premium I still saved $. 3) I love the cult following this watch has, especially on this forum.

I'm not a multi watch guy, I buy one watch and it's my every day watch, until it dies.... So I didn't make the decision to purchase this watch lightly.

All that being said, one of the other main selling points I like about this watch is some of the upgrades that can be done to the, we'll call it, less than stellar parts.
Upon purchase, I also immediately ordered the low dome CT020 Clear AR from crystaltimes and a MM300 clasp... both of which should be delivered before the watch (inbound from Europe).

One thing that I can't seem to find that I would really also like is the black date wheel. Pretty sure I have the right part #; 0878207. Just can't find the damn thing for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where I can purchase this from?

As soon as the watch comes in, I'll be taking it to a professional local watch smith to do a service and deep clean, as well as install the crystal and clasp. Would they be able to order this part directly from Seiko?.... If they could order it, shouldn't I be able to as well? Anyway, it's like the one piece I'm currently missing, and just nagging at me.

Hope to be able to contribute in the future here.
Thanks for your help.

#1,893 ·
black date wheel 878.207 cost me £14.95 inc shipping from carousel - hpth :)
personally I would not do it - the black date wheel with white print makes it more difficult to read the date - I am looking to revert this mod at some point in the future!
pics of your dome when fitted please - I went with the double dome clear AR!

Reactions: Swiftks
#1,894 ·
I've been contemplating a Shogun for probably 2-years now. I have a thing for Ti watches and divers...so what's not to like?! In that time however I've flipped A LOT of watches. Everything from $ to $$$$ pieces...now the thing that has been interesting is through all my watch speed dating...my go to has consistently been my SKX007....Honestly, its the least expensive watch I have ever owned and it is really the best fitting watch I've ever owned! It just fits so incredibly well...unfortunately doesn't keep good time (meaning to get it regulated or upgraded movement), but fit is fantastic!. So when I saw the dims on the Shogun I was really concerned because the SKX fits me so well...but like all Seiko watches....they never seem to fit like the dims would suggest...and that's the case here. The Shogun fits quite nicely. The L2L is a bit long, but not overly so. I took it off the bracelet immediately as I really can't wear bracelets...I've tired...That's why my 5 digit Sub got traded...just didn't like the extra weight and bulk. The Shogun immediately got put on a two-piece Eulit perlon...these are really brilliant...and wow is it a nice fit. I'm really looking forward to looking at it over the next few days and admiring all the details...so far I am just crazy impressed. I think the SKX will now safely go out for some R&R and the 4 other watches will be on permanent watch box duty or flipped. I feel a nice sailcloth w/deployant coming on here...and an everyday kind of thing for a while.....Shogun = Brilliant!

Attachments

#1,898 ·
The "Official" Shogun Thread

When you look at the design of the case and the material, it's really not far off of a grand Seiko, and with an 8L movement it would be comparable in all ways, except the bracelet. So, that might sort of defeat the purpose of this mid-tier watch in their market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,899 ·
I like the Shogun and might be interested in one eventually. Could anyone answer the following questions?

1) Does the Shogun use a titanium crown tube, and have there been many owner problems with them? (I read somewhere that there were, that's why I'm asking here)

2) Is the crown tube an integrated part of the watch's case, or could it be removed/replaced easily if needed?

#1,901 ·
Oh boy!!!! Things are happening!!! Just got my SBDC007 in... 8 days from Serbia.. not to shabby!

Anyway, watch is in extremely good condition considering it's been a discontinued model for several years.

Parts I already have or that or inbound within the next few days:

- Titanium Alloy + SS MM300 clasp (Part #D1K6AM-BK00)
- CrystalTimes Low Single Dome Clear AR Sapphire Crystal (Part #CT020)
- CyrstalTimes Polished SS Chapter Ring (Part #CT205)
- Full set of factory gaskets (bezel, case back & crown) (Part #0G340BA11 / 0J316BA42 / EZ0140B0A)
- Additional Factory Seiko Bracelet Link (Part #D00B1DM-LK00)
- Black Date Wheel (Part #0878207)
- Factory New Seiko 6R15-D Movement (Part #U6R1522D)

Just wanted to list the part numbers in one place for any future reference.

Ordered a additional factory titanium link just in case the bracelet comes up short once the MM300 clasp is added... had seen some reviews to this effect.... didn't want the watch to be wear-ready and not fit. Don't know if it was needed, as the watch came with one additional link, but better safe than sorry. Plus, if I don't need it, I'm sure someone on here would be more than willing to buy it from me.

As far as the new movement goes, I called a couple reputable watch shops around town, and to have the movement serviced was going to be about $160 - $170. I was able to find a factory new 6R15 D movement for $155 w/ shipping from Europe.... Was $20 more than the NE15C version I could have also sourced; but figured I'd go with the original Seiko Japanese movement, instead of the international version.

Anyway, as soon as all the parts get in over the next week or so, I'll take some before pics, then off to the Watch Shop for a couple weeks.... should have all the parts they need, just pay for labor, and a pressure test.

#1,902 ·
Well, all of the above pieces have arrived and it's off to the watch smith tomorrow. I do think I'll keep the white date wheel for now.... just makes it flow with the hour markers. Everything else will be getting exchanged though; sapphire low dome, polished s/s chapter ring, MM300 clasp, all 3 gaskets, & entire new movement. After pictures to be posted in 3 - 4 weeks.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Glass Metal

Product Watch Material property Brand

Product Fashion accessory Silver Silver Circle

Fashion accessory Metal