WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#1,985 ·
Uploading this photo to vent my frustration. Why can't Seiko just deliver on what they promise? Had the regular SBDC029 and loved the watch, except for the fact that the dial wasn't deep black but matte and that the slightly curved Hardlex generated too many reflections and didn't let the indexes shine.

Then this limited edition comes out with a beautiful dial and flat sapphire. And I bought mine in like three days.

Then the watch arrives and there's a beautiful dial sure. And a flat sapphire. And a cyclops. OK, I knew that, I can live with that, although it has no place on a sports watch. And the effin' sapphire has ZERO AR. ZILCH. And it protrudes from the bezel.. W.T.actual F. Seiko?

I still enjoy the watch but I will DEFINITELY replace that crystal when service time comes. Funny thing is that this one is the only accurate 6R15 I've ever had. It runs COSC! And I don't have any excuses to send it to service before at least a couple of years.

/rant off

I'd really like to hear from someone with the new Sumo on how the new flat sapphire they have compares as far as AR goes. From what I've seen I suspect it's the same shiite.

#1,988 ·
I bought the shogun 2 years ago and it's really easy to love! I bought the mm300 about a year later and I haven't looked back. Occasionally I try the shogun on for a few hours but end up going back to mm300 every time. mm300 is very easy to wear 24-7 as long as you have strap options. With bracelet you are looking at almost 1/4 of a kilo of steel on your wrist...

one day, when I win the lottery, I'm going to ask someone to put the 8l35b movement from my mm300 into my shogun case, swap out the dials, date wheel and the hands, get a custom bezel, sapphire lens and an exhibition sapphire case back... and never think about buying another watch in this lifetime ;-) b-)

Reactions: sernsin
#2,006 ·
So I just read through the entire 200 pages of this thread. I either have or have had most of the popular mid tier divers skx007, Turtle, mm300 Tuna, Sumo Gen 2, Bluemo Gen 2, Sumo Gen 3, mm200, 62Mas both Blue and Black 051/053 so I am feeling I probably have to give this one a try. A couple concerns about this one. Titanium: I did have a Pelagos once and it just didn't do it for me. I think part of it might have been that it was one of the very few watches I bought preowned and got burned on. The seller got banned and I wound up with the watch, but it was not at all in the condition that he showed in the pictures so kind of bitter about that. Anyway I am willing to give a titanium watch a go again, but I am concerned that I am going to get the feeling that it makes the watch feel cheap. The aluminum bezel insert is a bit of a concern, but I think I can live with that. The hardlex, I don't like it but I can either live with it or I can change it out. It is not all that big a deal to me.

Here is the 1 thing I am really uncertain on: The Clasp
I know for sure that I am going to hate the clasp because I have had basically this same clasp before and I am not a fan. I really like to put these divers on a rubber strap or even a leather one in the winter but thinking about the rubber. I have seen all the pics of the crafter blue and they look great, but I like to put a watch on a deployant and the crafter blue isn't all that great for that. No way you can put the crafter blue on the OEM deployant. With the lugs at the case being 22mm that really limits what you can do. Does anyone know of a decent 20mm Seiko branded clasp? I know about the skx and the Tuna. What I am talking about is a Seiko branded 20mm clasp that is at least the quality of the one that is on the sbdc051/053 & mm200 sbdc061?