WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Shogun Thread

503K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  Evolutionary Reject 
#1 ·
So we have an official Tuna thread, official Sumo thread, official Solar Chrono thread...we definitely NEED an Official Shogun Thread. I know that this will not be as popular as the others given most enthusiast's opinion of the Shogun however I would love to see a nice collection of pictures, thoughts and opinions in one thread. I'll start:

I've had Swiss divers more than any others and in all honesty (and for various reasons) just have not been happy with them. I've owned several Seikos in the past and have flipped them...but always missed them when they were gone. I've also never been a fan of titanium as I preferred the heft of stainless but I did not want to let that limit my choices.

I did my research and the biggest issues I found were the price point and the use of the Monster style hands. Personally I really like the Monster style hour hand...it really lends to the overall design elements of the dial. Another issue was Hardlex being used as opposed to sapphire...again, no issue for me as I prefer this. That left price...so I sold off a few items and that no longer was an issue.

The Shogun was delivered two weeks ago and I've been wearing it non-stop. At first I was taken aback by the light weight...it just felt "cheap". Everything is titanium; case, bracelet and clasp. Despite how it felt it looked like a million bucks! I've got pretty big wrists so I didn't need to remove any links, just the micro-adjustment. I immediately put it on my wrist and all weight issues were forgotten. It's just such a beauty with it finely brushed finish and complimentary polished areas. The lugs are angular, though not to the extent of the Samurai. This aspect of case design isn't always captured in pictures.

I must say, the feel of titanium is just so silky that it really makes up for the lack of weight. In appearance the Shogun is the best of both worlds...looks like stainless but with the slightly darker grey of titanium.

A couple things I do not really like. The included "rubber" strap is cheap...it just doesn't feel cheap, it IS cheap. It does have titanium hardware but it is very thin and composed of plastic...very stiff and non-conforming. I'm also not a fan of the titanium bracelet...it's also quite thin. I guess being titanium bulk is not needed for strength but it just seems "weak"..

See less See more
#244 ·
I have a 6.75 inch wrist and find the extension clasp very comfortable. It is useful to adjust it a click larger as needed throughout the day for comfort. It is a useful addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#246 ·
The Shogun wears close to the wrist. Due to the extreme light weight it is really hard to say if it wears smaller due to weight or size. I can say with certainty that if you are comfortable with the size of a Sumo, the Shogun will not wear or feel larger. The lightness is hard to appreciate until you hold one and wear it. It feels cheap at first because you are expecting it to weigh twice what it does.

#253 ·
The Shogun wears close to the wrist. Due to the extreme light weight it is really hard to say if it wears smaller due to weight or size. I can say with certainty that if you are comfortable with the size of a Sumo, the Shogun will not wear or feel larger. The lightness is hard to appreciate until you hold one and wear it. It feels cheap at first because you are expecting it to weigh twice what it does.
On the contrary, Jason, I like the size of the Sumo and hope the Shogun is as large, albeit lighter. 44mm watches are my sweet spot.

#248 ·
I ordered the SNDA59 ratcheting clasp through Rob at Monster Watches for 50 Euro (his prices went up from the 35 it use to be). The clasp on my Marine Master 300 Tuna says it is Steel and Tianium, so I can say that is not referring to the watch or bracelet. The outer portion appears to be steel. Not sure which parts are Ti. I suspect the 2 ratchet clasps are the same, but I will update all once I get it.

#249 ·
I ordered the SNDA59 ratcheting clasp through Rob at Monster Watches for 50 Euro (his prices went up from the 35 it use to be). The clasp on my Marine Master 300 Tuna says it is Steel and Tianium, so I can say that is not referring to the watch or bracelet. The outer portion appears to be steel. Not sure which parts are Ti. I suspect the 2 ratchet clasps are the same, but I will update all once I get it.
I didn't see it on his website, do you have to contact him directly? Harold/Yobokies quoted me over $100 US.

#250 · (Edited)
Yes, just email him with mm300 clasp in the subject. His price is net 50 euro, so the cheapest way is to "gift" the money and pay a small fee. Otherwise you will need to add about 5% I think.

#257 ·
I just wanted to add that the lume on this watch is amazing. It was readable in pitch black darkness after just an hour of INDOOR wear! I wore it outside for an hour this morning and when I stepped inside, the thing looked radioactive!

I sincerely hope Seiko continues to have a reasonably priced titanium diver in their lineup because this thing is amazing. The monster hour hand goes with the 12 o clock marker, so I dont see what the big deal is.

#258 ·
Just popping in to say hi! :)

#260 ·
^^^ I think it's common. I have had packages from Japan that was stuck at that stage for quite a while, then suddenly it appears! :)

#265 · (Edited)
Mine was done by Jack @ IWW. But, it was done by the previous owner. So, I don't know the turnaround time or where the sapphire was purchased. But, I do know that it serves pool/beach duty like a champ! b-)

Besides the functionality, I really love the look of the sapphire!

#263 ·
I became a member of the club today. I'll post some photos later. I had an interesting observation. The bracelet on the Shogun was shorter in length, out of the box, than the Sumo, out of the box, was. I had to remove two links on my Sumo bracelet and only one on my Shogun bracelet.

Other than that, I like everything about this watch. The classic looks are very appealing and the light weight on my wrist is incredible. The short hour hand is "interesting" and may have to be changed for a more traditional (i.e. longer) one in the future. May have to go with MM300 style hands. The hand isn't a deal breaker just... On the other hand, this is the way Seiko designed it so I may not change a thing.

#264 ·
I would keep the stock hands. The hour marker matches the 12 o clock indicator very well. Also, in another thread, someone said the MM300 are a slightly different color than the indices. That may or may not be something that bugs you. Honestly I think the only mods worth making to the Shogun are a sapphire crystal and the ratcheting clasp

#266 ·
I probably will keep the stock hands. I'm not not into modding watches. It's not that the hour hand is hideous. Quite the contrary. However, it is a little on the short side. It'll just take some getting used to.

#269 ·
Do all new Shoguns come with the 6R15C movement? I have the late 2013 production Sumo and it's dead accurate around -+1 per day and if I upgrade to the Shogun would like similar accuracy along with 50+ hour reserve.

#276 ·
I can see that the markers on your dial line up very well with the chapter ring. I just got my Shogun in the mail today and all of the markers line up well except for the 12 oclock one. It is as if the dial and chapter ring are aligned except the 12 oclock marker seems as is it wasn't placed perfectly center on the dial between 11 and 1. Do you think I should return it or request an exchange, or just accept it. I spent a long time saving for the watch and it is a total kill that my sumo is more aligned. :/

#303 ·
Picture or it didn't happen;) How much misaligned? But if you are already not happy and thinking about returning it, just do it. Otherwise, it'll keep bugging you every time you look at it.

I got mine from Seiya also (great seller btw) and loving it so far. On the money accuracy (-1sec/day on avg), great looks, super light... Nothing to complain about. I actually sold my Sumo already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#279 ·
I actually bought mine off the forum. You would be best to work with one of the big three, Higuchi, Chino or Seiya because they would be accustomed to this request.

#283 ·
My Sumo had the bezel slightly off at 12, I would say at least 75% of Sumo's I see for sale on the forum have slightly misaligned bezels, dials, or chapter rings. I think with the sub 2K divers and Seiko it's just a crap shoot and more than not have some flaw like this. I really didn't even notice my dial being off until I sold it, it was maybe half a click and never bothered me.