WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Tuna Thread

3M views 19K replies 2K participants last post by  Rikimaru 
#1 ·
Ok...we have an "Official" Sumo thread so i think we need an "Official" Tuna thread. Let's get all of the Tunas (past and present) together in one thread for our viewing pleasure. Her is my quick and dirty pic taken a few minutes ago. Let's see them all!

See less See more
#319 ·
I have an 015 Tuna and some Sawtooths.
Sawtooth is an amazing shrouded design in its own right but its very different from the Tuna line.
(It slightly irritates me that so many people (not you!) seemingly feel the need to align every lower end shrouded Seiko with the Prospex Tuna line)

The shroud design of Sawtooth has a much more integrated and tapered look to it, giving the impression that its part of the overall case much more. Tunas proudly state their separate shroud much more obviously in a more "tool" like manner, so to speak.
(I think the soon to arrive LE SD Tuna also has a slightly more integrated and angled looking shroud compared to other Tunas.)

Like Sawtooth, on the wrist 015 wears smaller than its dimensions but it does so in a different way compared to Sawtooth.
015 has virtually no lug length helping to "shrink" it on the wrist. Sawtooth has lugs but they are beautifully curved to wrap around your wrist helping it also to wear smaller and much more comfortably than its dimensions suggest. There are many other differences, too numerous to mention but suffice to say they are very different and imho they are both outstanding performers in their respective categories.

Imho the shroud finishing/brushing on Sawtooth was the most consistent and beautiful that i ever saw on a Seiko diver around its price point.

I often say if Sawtooth had been sold with an Auto option (like Knights) it would undoubtedly have joined the ranks of Seiko's most legendary vfm divers!

Sorry i don't have pics of them side-by-side.

#322 ·
I have an 015 Tuna and some Sawtooths.
Sawtooth is an amazing shrouded design in its own right but its very different from the Tuna line.
(It slightly irritates me that so many people (not you!) seemingly feel the need to align every lower end shrouded Seiko with the Prospex Tuna line)

The shroud design of Sawtooth has a much more integrated and tapered look to it, giving the impression that its part of the overall case much more. Tunas proudly state their separate shroud much more obviously in a more "tool" like manner, so to speak.
(I think the soon to arrive LE SD Tuna also has a slightly more integrated and angled looking shroud compared to other Tunas.)

Like Sawtooth, on the wrist 015 wears smaller than its dimensions but it does so in a different way compared to Sawtooth.
015 has virtually no lug length helping to "shrink" it on the wrist. Sawtooth has lugs but they are beautifully curved to wrap around your wrist helping it also to wear smaller and much more comfortably than its dimensions suggest. There are many other differences, too numerous to mention but suffice to say they are very different and imho they are both outstanding performers in their respective categories.

Imho the shroud finishing/brushing on Sawtooth was the most consistent and beautiful that i ever saw on a Seiko diver around its price point.

I often say if Sawtooth had been sold with an Auto option (like Knights) it would undoubtedly have joined the ranks of Seiko's most legendary vfm divers!

Sorry i don't have pics of them side-by-side.

Thank you both for the insights, and the great pics everose.

I love the Sawtooth but have wanted a Tuna for years, one of the early ones like a 007 appeals to me, and the desire is getting stronger. Sadly the used values are getting stronger too.

One day. :-!

#328 ·
Hi Gurus, I've lusted for a Sbdx011 / sbdb005 for a long time. Could not decide on which.

So far I have only own a few JDM Seiko 5 and a few Citizen eco drive including the Ecozilla and a few G shock which I wear most of the time (13yr old DW5600), a Tag and a Breitling.

I almost drop the hammer on the SBDX011 but something keeps holding me back.

I'm afraid it gets scratched up and looks worn and ugly very quickly. How good is the black finishing? Normal watches scratched can be polished but the black coating?

How well does the black coating hold up to wear and tear? Am I better off buying the Sbdn005 and not worry about scratches?

I imagine a scratch or dent on a black finish would be more obvious.....I know...I drive a black car...

Any advice or experience from SBDX011 owners?

#330 ·
Hi Gurus, I've lusted for a Sbdx011 / sbdb005 for a long time. Could not decide on which.

So far I have only own a few JDM Seiko 5 and a few Citizen eco drive including the Ecozilla and a few G shock which I wear most of the time (13yr old DW5600), a Tag and a Breitling.

I almost drop the hammer on the SBDX011 but something keeps holding me back.

I'm afraid it gets scratched up and looks worn and ugly very quickly. How good is the black finishing? Normal watches scratched can be polished but the black coating?

How well does the black coating hold up to wear and tear? Am I better off buying the Sbdn005 and not worry about scratches?

I imagine a scratch or dent on a black finish would be more obvious.....I know...I drive a black car...

Any advice or experience from SBDX011 owners?
I also drive a black car and therefore I'm also pretty paranoid about scratching my black watch. If I nicked the Darth I'd be pretty pissed. If I had and nicked the X011, I would probably lose sleep over it!

#329 ·
Story about a SBBN007.
This particular one was ordered from kseiya-san early 2005. I had it for a few months, then sold it to a friend in 2005.
The watch is produced November 2004 serial #0002, and therefore factory battery inserted.
Yesterday I bought this watch back from my friend. He claims he never changed the battery, and I have no reason not to believe him. He tought the watch had a 10year battery. The watch have been heavily used, had all kind of scratches, and still running good. My friend has been working construction. Upon dismantling and cleaning up the watch today, opening the watch, the battery looks original, says Seiko SR43SW. Also if it has been changed it most likely would not be a seiko cell. On the back, watch is stamped for batterychange december 2009 wich never happened. If this is correct, Battery is still running after 8 years and 7 months.
I have now ordered a new sapphire, hammer bracelet and black pvd coated bezel insert from yobokies. Also about to order new gaskets. And I have ordered a new battery. Think one is needed now....
This will be a keeper.

Pics when I had the watch 2005:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Organism Soil Fish Geology Rock

Pics today cleaning up.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Auto part Rim Wheel Metal

Food

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Metal

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory Metal