WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "Official" Tuna Thread

3M views 19K replies 2K participants last post by  Rikimaru 
#1 ·
Ok...we have an "Official" Sumo thread so i think we need an "Official" Tuna thread. Let's get all of the Tunas (past and present) together in one thread for our viewing pleasure. Her is my quick and dirty pic taken a few minutes ago. Let's see them all!

See less See more
#750 · (Edited)
My new sbbn017!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#751 ·
I thought since my individual thread about this will disappear into obscurity & since this could possibly be THE most famous Tuna ever made, it would be a good idea to post this here.Was watching the Bond classic "For Your Eyes Only" & at 1:23:39 Bond is prepping for a mixed gas dive at 500'+.As he swivels in his chair to rise,plainly visable on his left wrist is a 1000m Gold Tuna!This is the best screen capture(standard dvd on analog tv) I could get but if you watch the movie the big,round,black watch with gold hands,crown & bezel is plainly visable:

#754 ·
Why is he wearing it over what appears to be a dress shirt? The sleeve of the shirt is under the watch? That doesn't look like a dive suit, it has a collar on it......this might be a fashion statement that would draw more attention to my watches, though my wife already thinks I'm crazy, not sure I could pull this one off, lol.

#759 ·
I finally joined this club, sorry I waited so long. Really an amazing watch. The initial difficult decision was which one to get. I ultimately decided on the 015. Now it's hard to decide what to wear it on!
View attachment 1420524
View attachment 1420523
Welcome to club Tuna. The bracelet is great, but I realized much later on that it's not for me. I seldom wear it on the bracelet. I still have it around, but my Tuna currently resides on a supple ISOfrane. And trust me, I've used Natos, leather, mesh, you name it.

I think you have an ISOFrane too, based on your picture. It's a great strap for it.

#764 ·
Great to see she is back on your wrist Li!! I agree that the stock bracelet is really not what it resides best on, Nato, Zulu, rubber, all better options in my opinion. Mine RARELY finds itself on metal. Look great on the wrist bud, don't let her go this time!!

#773 ·
Thanks Li! I am finding that I am a 4-5 watch maximum person. In addition to the Tuna & MM I like to have one other diver & a G Shock. Eventually I will add a dress watch, but know it would see very little wrist time. Currently debating about dumping the Steinhart I have and picking up an Orient OS300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#766 ·
Can anyone help to advise a conflicted soul?

Sold my SBBN007 for funds to get a Darth Tuna, but even seeing it in person (looks great and wears alright on my wrist) doesn't assuage my worry about the shroud.

Is it really that delicate and brittle, or am I worrying about nothing?

A replacement shroud is more expensive than a Sumo (at current prices) so I just want... assurance, I guess. Been struggling with myself, and my wallet, for days now.

Would anyone like to talk me, either in or out, of getting a Darth?

#767 ·
Can anyone help to advise a conflicted soul?

Sold my SBBN007 for funds to get a Darth Tuna, but even seeing it in person (looks great and wears alright on my wrist) doesn't assuage my worry about the shroud.

Is it really that delicate and brittle, or am I worrying about nothing?

A replacement shroud is more expensive than a Sumo (at current prices) so I just want... assurance, I guess. Been struggling with myself, and my wallet, for days now.

Would anyone like to talk me, either in or out, of getting a Darth?
The shroud isn't delicate and brittle at all, but due to the fact that it is made of ceramic, it is possible that it breaks or shatters if it hits on a hard object with great force.

#769 ·
My SBBN013 has been with me for a week now. The one thing that peeves me about the watch is the bezel action: tighter than a cun's nunt and tough to grab at the shroud recesses. Any one else finding this? I'd like to see one with the sawtooth bezel from the Kinetic Direct Drive diver, and the silky perfection of the MM300's rotation.

#770 ·
Thanks mariod, mazman01 and Seikosmatic (for the colorful commentary ;p).

I know in my mind that I am overthinking things, and the shroud is not at all brittle and delicate, having handled it personally.

But the couple of (documented-on-forum) shrouds that broke were merely dropped unto the floor, and not hit with a huge destructive force that ruined the watch as well.

After all that is said and done, I guess if I am worrying about something that is not meant to be worried about, then perhaps it's just not meant to be. :(

#774 ·
Regarding the Darth shroud I just saw a member Clement Wong post that he is making 6/4 titanium shrouds for the 013 and 300 m Tunas and plans to sell them in the $125 USD range.

I haven't handled a Darth but I've owned a mountain bike with a frame made from 6/4 titanium and it's light, durable and would dent before shattering (on a off-road bike application).

I will try to dig up the link and post here. On the other hand I think the notion of the ceramic shroud being fragile is one internet post gone wild similarly to the guy who claimed Helson dive watches flood easily.

#775 ·
Ottovonn and 5661Nicholas, you are both among my WUS friends that I love sharing opinions with because our tastes run along the same lines. It seems that a Tuna will always have a starring role in our collections. Besides its unique looks, the 300m Tuna has shown me the merits of having one high quality quartz analog quartz watch in the rotation.

#776 ·
Thanks Li, agree with your sentiments about the parallels in our 3 watch buying habits and have always enjoyed each of your posts. I for one love the fact that it has a quartz movement in it, and it is one of the primary reasons I know it is a keeper for me. The longest I have gone without having to reset the time is 2 months, and in that time it did not deviate even a half second.................... amazing accuracy! I use mine to set my automatics, because I know it is bang on.

I would love to try a Darth myself, but fear I will not find it quite as versatile as the SBBN015, which is why I am currently deciding against it. If I had the excess funds I would love to give one a go. Such a great time for those of us who enjoy buying JDM Seikos because of the yen!!

#782 ·
My SBBN015 arrived this morning! Thanks to Chino's incredible service the watch got to me in 4 days flat.

It wears no bigger than my SKX171. Second hand hits the markers pretty accurately, and the bezel lines up properly. And I can't say enough about drilled lugs, they make it soooo easy to do a strap change with those infernal Seiko shoulderless bars :).

The watch looks fantastic, I love the domed hardlex and the muted finish. And something about Japanese days of the week just works for me :). I'm on rubber at the moment (which is way more comfy than the SKX171 rubber) until I can resize the bracelet, which looks gorgeous.

Happy to have joined the Tuna club :):):).

Of course the required cellshot:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#786 ·
Looks great - congrats.

My SBBN015 arrived this morning! Thanks to Chino's incredible service the watch got to me in 4 days flat.

It wears no bigger than my SKX171. Second hand hits the markers pretty accurately, and the bezel lines up properly. And I can't say enough about drilled lugs, they make it soooo easy to do a strap change with those infernal Seiko shoulderless bars :).

The watch looks fantastic, I love the domed hardlex and the muted finish. And something about Japanese days of the week just works for me :). I'm on rubber at the moment (which is way more comfy than the SKX171 rubber) until I can resize the bracelet, which looks gorgeous.

Happy to have joined the Tuna club :):):).

Of course the required cellshot:
View attachment 1426416

#787 ·
Lessons learned over the last 6 months:
1. Do not attempt to remove the hex screws holding the Tuna shroud in place unless you absolutely have to.
2. If you absolutely have to, buy the absolute best hex key you can and say a little prayer you won't round any of the heads.
3. If you do fail to buy a good enough hex key, think twice before you ask a watchmaker to extract the screw with the now-rounded head, even if he is one of the few Master watchmakers in your country and routinely works on Pateks and Vacherons.
4. When the Master watchmaker fails to extract the screw in 6 months, take the watch to your nearest dirty little family-owned machine shop.
5. Two business days later, pay the little machine shop the equivalent of a cheap 6-pack of beer when you pick up your Tuna.

#789 ·
Sorry to hear. When I had a 007 i removed the bezel several times with no issue. Perhaps your was the wrong size, metric versus imperial, etc...... Also, replacement screws can be purchased from a guy over at SCWF for $20 for 3.