The "Official" Tuna Thread - Page 7
Like Tree21826Likes

Thread: The "Official" Tuna Thread

Page 7 of 521 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 507 ... LastLast
    Last edited by marin; March 28th, 2011 at 00:07. Reason: :)

Re: The "Official" Tuna Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A MattR of Time View Post
    I used to own a SBBN007, but the glare on the crystal drove me nuts!!! How do you guys put up with it?

although, this tread is making me want one again. But dang, they have gone up in price!!!

Love the bracelet on yours!

I know what you mean, but the glare has never impeded actual time reading as that's easily accomplished with a slight tilt of the wrist. For me, it turns out the glare gives visual substance to the beautiful curve of the domed crystal, which has been said to be among the most attractive crystal architecture.

I'm don't care for glares on a flat crystal, but on a domed crystal it's different. In fact, domed crystals refract lights in a way that reduces the glare as compared to flat crystals -- in other words, the same glare on a flat crystal is actually reduced on a domed crystal.

Love the TUNAS!

Best,
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Can someone explain the differences, other than bezel color, between the 007 and the 015 and 017?
    My name is Matt R and I'm a lumaholic.

John 14:6

"Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic."

007 - discontinued, stainless bezel insert, rings around hour markers, blasted shroud, rubber strap, unsigned crown
    015 - current, black bezel insert, solid hour markers, brushed shroud, oyster bracelet, signed crown, marinemaster text on dial
    017 - current, stainless bezel insert, solid hour markers, blasted shroud, rubber strap, signed crown, marinemaster text on dial
    sleeppygap likes this.

So no REAL differences then like movement or sapphire or materials... So the price increase is due too ??????? Dollar's weakness? Seiko getting greedy?

Quote Originally Posted by marin View Post
    007 - discontinued, stainless bezel insert, rings around hour markers, blasted shroud, rubber strap, unsigned crown
    015 - current, black bezel insert, solid hour markers, brushed shroud, oyster bracelet, signed crown, marinemaster text on dial
    017 - current, stainless bezel insert, solid hour markers, blasted shroud, rubber strap, signed crown, marinemaster text on dial
    My name is Matt R and I'm a lumaholic.

John 14:6

"Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Price increases are due to the refinements listed above. Also to add, the hands on the 015 are brushed and definitely nicer than those of the 007 also, the black insert has a hardening treatment applied.

All the little things add up and remember any cost increase to a manufacturer can often quadruple by the time it gets to the consumers hands. Another note: in the 25 years that the 007 was out, Seiko might have increased the price of the 007 by maybe 30 U.S. dollars. Had they implemented 3% price increases every other year like many manufacturers, the new prices of the replacements wouldn't look so drastic.

And of course the big drop in value of the dollar vs. the yen has impacted the price to US buyers.
    Last edited by petew; March 28th, 2011 at 00:57.

Exactly, don't forget that the Tunas are the absolute pinnacle of real diver technology.

I'll Play, here are my 017 and Darth 013 separate and together.

double post
    Last edited by JacksonExports; March 28th, 2011 at 21:43.

Ok, better pics now!

More at: My new Darth Tuna

Page 7 of 521 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 507 ... LastLast