Opinions on which orange faced Seiko to choose most appreciated...
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Opinions on which orange faced Seiko to choose most appreciated...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Opinions on which orange faced Seiko to choose most appreciated...

Hi guys

My name is Ash, and I am a long time watch nut who has not so far taken much part in forums such as this, although I've been a member for a little while.

I'm about to treat myself to a new Seiko, and have wanted an orange face diver for a while. Of course the obvious choice is the monster, but I have also had my head turned by the SNE109P1 solar watch. So far my perspective is that the Monster has a more beautiful case and bezel arrangement, and is generally a little 'glitzier'. The Solar has a more traditional case and bezel arrangement in comparison.

Accuracy: from both experience of other automatics and what I've read here and elsewhere, the Monster is not amazingly accurate, and will quickly run out of power if not worn regularly. The Solar, on the other hand, will run for ten months on a full charge. This is important to me as I currently own a few G Shocks, and all of them have both radio controlled accuracy and solar power.

I'm really torn! The monster is an unmistakeable classic, but the Solar seems a little more modern. I'd also say that the marketing shots at least seem to show a more brushed finish to the Solar which I prefer to the slightly shinier Monster. If anyone reading this has some real world experience to either confirm or refute this I'd be very grateful.

So, gentlemen, please give your thoughts, regardless of whether you own one, both or neither. All fellow watch enthusiasts' perspective greatly received!

Regards
    Ash
    Last edited by Ash Li; October 17th, 2012 at 20:46.

Re: Opinions on which orange faced Seiko to choose most appreciated...

I would go for the Monster. I have had mine for about two months now and it is running -5.5 sec per day. I have not taken it off long enough to see how long it lasts but I have let it off for 24 hours and it was still running. Even if it runs out it really is not that big a deal to reset the time. Since you have other atomic watches, if the monster does die you can set it with one of your Casios. I like the sloar watch also, but I would still vote for the monster.

My Monster gains 1-2 seconds per day and runs for nearly 48 hours off the wrist. This exceeds Seiko's stated spec for each by a good margin.

As you said, the OM is "an unmistakable classic," and you already have other super-accurate watches.

As an alternative, I'll suggest the SKX011J for its classic good looks. The OM's a great watch for the money and I had one, but I'm not convinced that it'll still look good in years to come:

Name:  seiko-skx011j-02a.jpg
Views: 2730
Size:  58.0 KB
    Matusalem_1324 and jonibang like this.
    ​Seiko SBBN007 Tuna, Seiko Samurai SS Black (Ti Hands), Seiko SBDN003 Ti, Seiko Spirit SBFG001, Seiko SARB017 Alpinist, Seiko SARB035,Seiko SKX779Black Monster, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKX173, Seiko SKX011J, Seiko 6309-7049, Seiko 7548-7000, Seiko 7548-700B, Seiko SCEB009 Bullhead,Speedbird III PRS-22, Precista PRS18Q, Precista PRS-14, CWC G10,

How about the new monster srp311k1, black watch with orange dial, I got that few days ago,will be upload my photo this few days.

I'll go with the skx011 aswell, classic case, bezel, and dial design, and infinitely customisable. Future proof imho.
    Matusalem_1324 likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by melfiz View Post
    How about the new monster srp311k1, black watch with orange dial, I got that few days ago,will be upload my photo this few days.
    Funny you should mention this one, as I really like the look of this one also. The sunburst is pretty cool to say the least.

Price-wise, I'm guessing the 311 is going to cost quite a bit more. Any ideas on where to purchase so I can get an idea on degree of excuse required to the Mrs?!

I too have a liking for the oranges!

Name:  A Box of Oranges.JPG
Views: 2502
Size:  334.7 KB

Of the two you list, go for the monster! It took a long time for me to take the plunge - there was no instant attraction to the monster - but as soon as I got my OM I was hooked. Great watch which wears much much easier than you think it's going to. It looks great on a Watchadoo. Watch out for chapter ring fade however - mine started to go a couple of years back.
    My own favourite.... got to be the Sammy Ti.

Name:  DSC04533.JPG
Views: 1205
Size:  131.7 KB

I was going to go for the Monster a few months ago, but couldn't completely warm to it. Today I've placed an offer for the SBCZ015 instead.

Silversurfer7 likes this.

Banned

Wow, nice collection Jolun! I totally agree with your preference for the Titanium - looks quite retro - am guessing its long discontinued.

The SBCZ015 is a lovely watch, and I know for a fact how well put together this particular model is as I've owned the SKA371p2 for a few years now. It was the watch that confirmed to me what amazing watches Seiko make. The kinetic power supply is super efficient and the movement is amazingly accurate.

However, I must say that, depsite the currently overwhelming love for the OM here, I am leaning heavily towards the Solar. I love its simplicity, superior power supply, and greater accuracy. Its all hugely subjective of course, and I wouldn't mind owning both(!), but I can see myself becoming a little exasperated with the OM as its only going to get worn about once/ twice a week, so will always require a power up and time set. Owning the SKA371 (as well as my G Shock solar/ radio controlled watches) has probably made me quite demanding for pick up and go, accurate watches. Of course I appreciate the OMs are not so much about such things, so no offence meant to the loyal armies of the OM/BM etc. who will equally recognise in themselves what they look for in a timepiece.

Last edited by Ash Li; October 18th, 2012 at 13:58.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information