WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Opinions on which orange faced Seiko to choose most appreciated...

6K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  alexiscabel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

My name is Ash, and I am a long time watch nut who has not so far taken much part in forums such as this, although I've been a member for a little while.

I'm about to treat myself to a new Seiko, and have wanted an orange face diver for a while. Of course the obvious choice is the monster, but I have also had my head turned by the SNE109P1 solar watch. So far my perspective is that the Monster has a more beautiful case and bezel arrangement, and is generally a little 'glitzier'. The Solar has a more traditional case and bezel arrangement in comparison.

Accuracy: from both experience of other automatics and what I've read here and elsewhere, the Monster is not amazingly accurate, and will quickly run out of power if not worn regularly. The Solar, on the other hand, will run for ten months on a full charge. This is important to me as I currently own a few G Shocks, and all of them have both radio controlled accuracy and solar power.

I'm really torn! The monster is an unmistakeable classic, but the Solar seems a little more modern. I'd also say that the marketing shots at least seem to show a more brushed finish to the Solar which I prefer to the slightly shinier Monster. If anyone reading this has some real world experience to either confirm or refute this I'd be very grateful.

So, gentlemen, please give your thoughts, regardless of whether you own one, both or neither. All fellow watch enthusiasts' perspective greatly received!

Regards
Ash

See less See more
#2 ·
I would go for the Monster. I have had mine for about two months now and it is running -5.5 sec per day. I have not taken it off long enough to see how long it lasts but I have let it off for 24 hours and it was still running. Even if it runs out it really is not that big a deal to reset the time. Since you have other atomic watches, if the monster does die you can set it with one of your Casios. I like the sloar watch also, but I would still vote for the monster.

#4 ·
As an alternative, I'll suggest the SKX011J for its classic good looks. The OM's a great watch for the money and I had one, but I'm not convinced that it'll still look good in years to come:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Orange Fashion accessory

#7 ·
Funny you should mention this one, as I really like the look of this one also. The sunburst is pretty cool to say the least.

Price-wise, I'm guessing the 311 is going to cost quite a bit more. Any ideas on where to purchase so I can get an idea on degree of excuse required to the Mrs?!

#8 ·
I too have a liking for the oranges!

Orange Watch Fashion accessory

Of the two you list, go for the monster! It took a long time for me to take the plunge - there was no instant attraction to the monster - but as soon as I got my OM I was hooked. Great watch which wears much much easier than you think it's going to. It looks great on a Watchadoo. Watch out for chapter ring fade however - mine started to go a couple of years back.
My own favourite.... got to be the Sammy Ti.

Analog watch Orange Watch Fashion accessory Font

#10 · (Edited)
Wow, nice collection Jolun! I totally agree with your preference for the Titanium - looks quite retro - am guessing its long discontinued.

The SBCZ015 is a lovely watch, and I know for a fact how well put together this particular model is as I've owned the SKA371p2 for a few years now. It was the watch that confirmed to me what amazing watches Seiko make. The kinetic power supply is super efficient and the movement is amazingly accurate.

However, I must say that, depsite the currently overwhelming love for the OM here, I am leaning heavily towards the Solar. I love its simplicity, superior power supply, and greater accuracy. Its all hugely subjective of course, and I wouldn't mind owning both(!), but I can see myself becoming a little exasperated with the OM as its only going to get worn about once/ twice a week, so will always require a power up and time set. Owning the SKA371 (as well as my G Shock solar/ radio controlled watches) has probably made me quite demanding for pick up and go, accurate watches. Of course I appreciate the OMs are not so much about such things, so no offence meant to the loyal armies of the OM/BM etc. who will equally recognise in themselves what they look for in a timepiece.

#12 ·
Well, this hasn't been mentioned yet, but just keep in mind that the crystal on the 109 solar isn't near as protected by the bezel, so you're much more likely to get scratches on it versus the Monster. Also, solar's batteries will go at some point while an auto just runs and runs-and may need a service in 5 years or ten or whenever it starts to lose time. Points to consider...

#14 ·
Thanks for the perspective Gilbert - all valid points, and exactly why I am hanging out here!

The Sumo is indeed a stunner:

Unfortunately I'll need to sell some stuff if I want to pay for it, which is a possibility (have decided a TAG F1 can go as it will definitely not be getting any further wear).

So many beautiful Seikos to choose from - I am having fun browsing the possibilities!

Saw this one on the bay - not sure what to make of it but gut instinct is I'm not feeling it as to me it looks like an OM in a wetsuit!

#16 ·
The Monster is a strange beast for me. A few years ago, I picked up a Black Monster due to all the rave reviews on the forums here. I tried for the longest time to fall in love with it, but it just never really clicked.

A couple months ago, I can across a pretty smokin' deal on an Orange Monster and thought, "what the hell, why not?".
Needless to say, I love the Orange Monster!

#22 ·
I have the solar and OM. Both great in their own way. Just pulled the trigger on an orange Sumo though, and it is a vast upgrade, well worth the xtra $. One thing I love about it is it's hand wind capability, you can theoretically keep it going constantly, even when not worn by simply winding occasionally (something I actually enjoy;-)).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.