Thread: Opinions on Seiko SRP231?

Opinions on Seiko SRP231?

Hey guys, I've done some searching around found a few threads but nothing recent and nothing specifically about the SRP231.

I was wondering what people think about the SRP231 with the new 4R36 movement. Specifically I'm wondering how it looks in person. I'm not a huge fan of any gold coloring on watches- it either looks too "blingy" or old man-ish. I'm in my mid-20's, professional and looking for a watch I can wear to work (tie and dress shirt everyday) as well as casual enough to wear on weekends.

There are great pictures here:

Seiko 4R36 Diver (Regular Edition) – SRP231K | Yeoman's Watch Review

where the gold-coloring on the dial and on the hands seems very unobtrusive and understated but I was wondering if anyone can speak for what it looks like in person. I love the red SRP233 but I'm a one watch kind of guy and it's something that can't be worn with a suit (which I have to wear about once a month). Thanks!

Re: Opinions on Seiko SRP231?

I've seen it several times in person. It looks sporty and the gold tones make it classy. So "sporty-classy".

I have the 233 and it definitely wouldn't go with a suit. I dont believe any of this range would really go with a suit, as they are very thick and chunky watches with protruding edges and would continually catch on a shirt cuff. And they would never really look right in this setting anyway, great watches though! I used to own a sumo, and I think the blue or black versions of this would be great with a suit, they sit far lower on the wrist than the shrouded srp's, but more expensive unfortunately.

I have also seen it in person many times and I really like the watch however I would not wear it as a dress watch with tie and so. To me it's more a sporty kind of style watch that you can use for the weekend. If you want to wear it for the tie and so, then I suggest you look for something with a silver stainless steel bracelet., but that just my opinion.
    Breitling is by far my favorite watch brand, but other watches also will do

hmm ok thanks guys. unfortunately i can't stand stainless steel bracelets- i need to have rubber. for some reason i feel as if my wrist is constantly changing sizes so i need the ability to easily tighten or loosen the band as needed. rubber is always by far the most comfortable for me.

do you guys think the skx007 or skx173 on rubber would be a better option for me? i prefer to have the new 4r36 movement but i guess it's not a big deal.
    Last edited by hurley81388; October 1st, 2012 at 14:32.

I recently got the 231 and i think it's pretty awesome but i wouldn't combine it with a suit. It's just wrong! About the rubber strap, i strongly dislike the looks of seiko rubber straps. My 231 is on khaki zulu with pvd rings. I think it makes the watch look a whole lot better. Plus, don't think the rubber strap would look good with a suit. For me the best solution would be to get the seiko diver watch you like and then get an inexpensive, good looking dress watch like the orient sun and moon Orient Sun & Moon – ETOP003W | Yeoman's Watch Review .

thanks guys for the opinions!

so now i think it comes down to either the SRP231 or the SKX173. they're both pretty much the same price- which would you guys get?

I'd get the skx first, suitable for more occasions.

thanks guys. sounds like if i were to get one watch (which i'm only getting one no matter what) the skx173 is the way to go. i suppose i could get the skx007 for a fair amount cheaper but i like the dial of the skx173 much more and i would rather purchase from a US-based seller.

anybody have any recent feedback on ordering from watchsavings via amazon? from searching i understand that watchsavings is just another name for jomashop and they've had sketchy reviews on this website in the past, but not any threads recently...

also is there a reason for quite a large number of 1 star reviews on the skx173 on amazon? sounds like for some reason this movement has become quite inaccurate in recent years, gaining 10 minutes/day? i owned an orange monster about 5 years ago with the same movement AFAIK and it gained about 15 seconds/day.....
    Last edited by hurley81388; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:45.

Thread Information