Our common Seiko diary - Page 5
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Our common Seiko diary

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Our common Seiko diary

I can't post pics of my "winder."
    No, it doesn't grind coffee either.

Quote Originally Posted by artblakey View Post
    Say hello to my new watch winder. Bonus feature: It grinds coffee beans too :D

whitestripes likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

All right, I'll play along.

I have owned some very nice Swiss and German watches but I always come back to Seiko. My first "nice" watch was a Seiko quartz diver. Really, only an inexpensive Seiko SHC041 but it was a great looking watch that was very dependable. Though it was a lowly quartz I wore it with pride. My love affair with Seiko actually started in 1972. I was 7 and my father had just returned from a tour of duty in Northern Japan. One of the items that followed him home was a Seiko watch with world cities situated around the chapter ring. I was so fascinated with that watch that I couldn't stop looking at it. Fast forward 30 years and I purchased my first Seiko, that SHC041. Fast forward another 10 or so years and I bought my first, of three, Sumos. I am a huge Sumo fan and consider them to be just a fantastic value in watches. Mixed in, from 2011 to 2016, I owned several German and Swiss watches but have sold them all to re-acquire a MM300 (this is my third). I am happy being a Seiko fan boy. You could spend your whole life in Seikoland and never be bored. It's a great place to be!
    Tickstart, artblakey and Mmpaste like this.
    Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph and a Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1

About those SKX mods...

After looking at over a thousand variations, I have concluded that there are only so many combinations of elements that work, given the finitude of elements.

The rest are just grinding metal. What applies to everything in life, applies also to modifications.

Hey! Anyone up for a chocolate fudge sundae with sushi slices of raw chicken liver + a shot of vinegar + a dollop of cod roe on top? No? You sure? Aw come on.
    longstride likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Why do I always want to check the date on my watch when it is quarter past three?

This weekend is the end of a short month and the end of daylight saving in Australia, I'm excited with changing the time and date on my watches tomorrow. Does anyone else ever feel the same about an opportunity to fiddle with their collection?
    G-Shock DW-6900B-9
    G-Shock MRG-110-7
    G-Shock G-5600E-1
    G-Shock GW-5000-1
    G-Shock DW-5000-1JF
    Seiko SBDX001
    Seiko SBBN013
    Oris Williams F1 Team Day Date 2008 (black dial)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005

1.Since purchasing my Seiko diver I like it more everyday, I rarely wear my expensive divers anymore, and its just a testament to how awesome Seiko divers are built.
    2. Wow, my Seiko 5 just picked up some nasty scratches on my walk today with the dog, oh well, its a cheapist line, not the same quality as the other higher tier lines, I am relizing, but for what I paid I cannot expect the world.
    Last edited by 310runner; September 30th, 2016 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickstart View Post
    In other news, my SKX (featured in the photo) is running +-1s per day, it's been 5s ahead of real time for a couple weeks now. Impeccable.
    Two weeks ago. It's now lost 5s so it's spot on. I've learnt a trick to speed it up, which on one hand is disconcerting but it does involve rotating it briskly around the same axis as the balance wheel, probably cutting its cycle short and thus speeding it up.

j0n

I excitedly went to time something with the bezel today only to be crushed after observing the minute hand was exactly at the bezel pip already. Sadness turned into excitement once again after turning the bezel one full revolution anyway.
    PowerChucker and artblakey like this.

I thought of selling my SARX033 because as things are with this hobby, you always want other things. I was thinking an Alpinist and a Turtle. The problem is that I still really like the SARX and it's so accurate to within a few seconds a month that I can't seem to want to take it off even if I bought something else and kept the SARX. I guess there's no point in selling the SARX! lol

Big fan of the under $200US Seiko 4r36

SRP783 Mt. Fuji LE

SRP 605 and 607

Over $200US and I go for the Kinetic quartz Seiko
    As long as you wear them at least once every two weeks or so, Kinetic are great watches, especially as a daily driver. They like to be used to keep charged.

SUN023 GMT diver

SUN025 GMT

SUN043 GMT 50th Anniversary Seiko

If you can find a 6r15 watch under $400US, go for it. Otherwise, Avoid the 6r15 equipped watches as overpriced for what you get. If one is going to spend over $400US on a Seiko, be sure it has a better movement than a 6r15. Better to get a 9015 equipped watch, or if a Seiko, a 6r20, 8L25 or better. Get your money's worth.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 13th, 2016 at 01:36.
    Dec1968 likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information