Popular Seiko Models Discontinued -- Including SARB065 Cocktail Time - Page 4
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Popular Seiko Models Discontinued -- Including SARB065 Cocktail Time

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Popular Seiko Models Discontinued -- Including SARB065 Cocktail Time

i see the sarx 013/015/017 models are on the chopping block as well. i know these received mixed reviews style-wise across the board and were a bit polarizing. a lot of people like their dress watches to be smaller in diameter; some folks dislike the 015 face, calling it a bit too aqua terra. other folks wish it had dauphin hands.

for what it's worth, i really am glad i picked up an 015. i think it's one of the nicer watches for anyone interested in something just slightly larger than a sarb (or whose wife has officially appropriated said sarb for her daily use), and it takes to leather very well. the face, hands, bracelet are more casual - intentionally more angular and sporty.

i picked it up despite initially planning to grab a sarx035. i'm glad i did, and hope seiko replaces it with something at a similar price point. i'm not sure what features distinguish the sarx015 from the sarx035 that justify a nearly 2x price point difference; maybe case finish?
    Sevenmack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bwoah View Post
    i see the sarx 013/015/017 models are on the chopping block as well. i know these received mixed reviews style-wise across the board and were a bit polarizing. a lot of people like their dress watches to be smaller in diameter; some folks dislike the 015 face, calling it a bit too aqua terra. other folks wish it had dauphin hands.

for what it's worth, i really am glad i picked up an 015. i think it's one of the nicer watches for anyone interested in something just slightly larger than a sarb (or whose wife has officially appropriated said sarb for her daily use), and it takes to leather very well. the face, hands, bracelet are more casual - intentionally more angular and sporty.

i picked it up despite initially planning to grab a sarx035. i'm glad i did, and hope seiko replaces it with something at a similar price point. i'm not sure what features distinguish the sarx015 from the sarx035 that justify a nearly 2x price point difference; maybe case finish?
    The SARX 013/015/017 are probably being discontinued in favor of the similar, and just released, SARX043/045/047.

https://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/presage/lineup/
    Sevenmack and bwoah like this.

i'm not sure what features distinguish the sarx015 from the sarx035 that justify a nearly 2x price point difference; maybe case finish?
    AR coating, better bracelet, DiaShield, and finishing on the dial looks better
    You should check SARW023 too
    bwoah likes this.
    Long term goals: Grand Seiko SBGX065 and Oris Sixty-Five 40mm
    Hidden Content

I've been contemplating a cocktail time for awhile now. If the 40mm case is in question, I may just need to pull the trigger. 38mm is just too small for me, personally.

As an owner of a SARX015, I share your opinion. From where I sit, it is an absolutely handsome watch. The texture on the SARX015's dial is amazing. Brown in general, but it can look a tad darker or lighter depending on light. Up close, also depending on the light, the valleys can appear to either be pleasantly grainy, or sparkling as if some diamond dust was sprinkled into them. It is both bold and yet understated at the same time, and a source of constant discovery. The hands are perfect for the watch's aesthetic; as much as I love dauphine hands, they would clash with the SARX015's dial.

The even nicer thing about the SARX015 is angles on the case and the indices. Looks like a skilled diamond cutter or sculptor went to work on it, which isn't shocking given that it follows Seiko's Grammar of Design guidelines. Because of the angles, the polishing of the indices and case, and the H-link bracelet, the SARX015 glistens like a metal diamond. Just incredible to see.

A lot of collectors want the SARX015 (and the SARX013 and SARX017) to be watches they were never meant to be. Those collectors want another Grand Seiko-like watch at an affordable price point, another SARB033 or SARX035 that allows them to sate their long-term desire for the more-expensive brand family. But the SARX015 was never meant to be a Grand Seiko wannabe. It should be appreciated on its own terms.
    bwoah likes this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic

Since the SARX015 is being mentioned...
    Name:  DSCN8831.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  2.79 MB
    Name:  20151020_081938_resized.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  933.6 KB
    Name:  DSCN8809.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  2.55 MB
    Name:  20160707_112115.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  1.09 MB
    Name:  DSCN8709.JPG
Views: 597
Size:  2.56 MB
    Last edited by Sevenmack; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:20.
    U_Devrim, luth_ukail and bwoah like this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by branford View Post
    The SARX 013/015/017 are probably being discontinued in favor of the similar, and just released, SARX043/045/047.

https://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/presage/lineup/
    fascinating, and thank you for the quick intel. i'm glad to see successors in line.

interesting change decisions for these; some i like, some less so. i see they cleaned up the dial by removing the "23 jewels" text, which i think is a positive change. it's hard to tell from the website photos whether the 043/045/047 keep the exact dial textures - if not the same, at least similar. the crowns are different - looks like the 043/045/047 pick up the black onyx crown from the sdgm line. i'm partial to the signed S from the 013/015/017. that's the most notable difference i see. case dimensions look near identical.

and, the successor models msrp at 70,000 jpy, vs. 64,800 jpy msrp for the prior models. chino has the 013/015/017 for $418 usd shipped. from a pure price standpoint, i'd def. pick up the 013/015/017 while still available!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post
    As an owner of a SARX015, I share your opinion. From where I sit, it is an absolutely handsome watch. The texture on the SARX015's dial is amazing. Brown in general, but it can look a tad darker or lighter depending on light. Up close, also depending on the light, the valleys can appear to either be pleasantly grainy, or sparkling as if some diamond dust was sprinkled into them. It is both bold and yet understated at the same time, and a source of constant discovery. The hands are perfect for the watch's aesthetic; as much as I love dauphine hands, they would clash with the SARX015's dial.

The even nicer thing about the SARX015 is angles on the case and the indices. Looks like a skilled diamond cutter or sculptor went to work on it, which isn't shocking given that it follows Seiko's Grammar of Design guidelines. Because of the angles, the polishing of the indices and case, and the H-link bracelet, the SARX015 glistens like a metal diamond. Just incredible to see.

A lot of collectors want the SARX015 (and the SARX013 and SARX017) to be watches they were never meant to be. Those collectors want another Grand Seiko-like watch at an affordable price point, another SARB033 or SARX035 that allows them to sate their long-term desire for the more-expensive brand family. But the SARX015 was never meant to be a Grand Seiko wannabe. It should be appreciated on its own terms.
    @sevenmack - i appreciate your write-up and agree w you on all fronts. sarx015 is a fun, versatile watch. i shopped it against its sarb, sarx, and sary counterparts, and the 015 just seemed to hit all the right notes for me. cheers.
    Last edited by bwoah; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:24.
    Sevenmack likes this.

attempting to capture some of the case design that really stands out - angular, sporting, classy, with a mix of brushed and polished finishes, with a signed crown and well proportioned crown guards that somehow are prominent from the profile but understated from head-on.. seiko design language is so incredibly intentional and precise.

Last edited by bwoah; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:30.
    Sevenmack and Mr. James Duffy like this.

I was surprised to see that the SARB017 was not on that list I guess they have not come up with the next release of the Alpinist

Wow didn't think they would discontinue the cocktail. Always thought I would pick a new one up when I had spare funds, dang.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast