WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Question about UTC time hands on new Navihawk

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  twall3 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Citizen Men's Watch Blue Angels Navihawk A-T JY8031-56L, and although I've followed setting directions I am unclear about the UTC dial, specifically, the time shown is NOT the UTC time.

For example, on Jared Jewelry's website, is a picture of the watch (model JY8031-56L) which shows:
Digital Display 1 as Tokyo 0:09
and
Digital Display 2 as New York
and the Home time as 10:09
and the UTC time as 8:09

If I look up what utc time is for Tokyo at 0:09 on Google,

it says the UTC time should be 3:09 PM, NOT 8:09 as shown in the picture.

My watch also has this same inconsistency.

Can anyone explain UTC to me because it is not showing the actual UTC time even tough I have reset the watch several times (and updated the time via the radio).

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't believe that it would be the reference position, that has to do with ensuring the hands point directly to 12 so the watch will accurately show the time. The UTC should be received from the radio.

When I go into reference position all the hands point to 12, it's the time shown in the UTC display not being accurate, as you can see in the image off of the Jared Jewelry site, it's the same for me, it's off by hours.

#4 ·
The UTC dial is a 24-hr one. In that picture the yellow hour hand is between 15 and 16 hour markers, so, it's more or less showing the correct time for UTC. Granted, it's a bit too close to 16 for a time of 15:09, but that could be attributed to a misaligned hand or the angle the shot was taken from. It is a very small dial, after all.

#5 ·
This is correct. The hour hand on the UTC sub-dial makes one full revolution in 24 hours (and therefore has a 24 hour scale), so the UTC hour indication on the Jared website picture is actually correct. The minute hand on the UTC dial makes one full revolution each hour (and therefore the 24-hour gradations on the UTC sub-dial are meaningless for minute reading) - I think the UTC minute hand is redundant to the main watch minute hand as the two will always show the same indication (unless you're in one of the rare timezones that has 30 or 45 minutes offsets). Great watch, though. Used to have one but wound up selling it as a bit big for my tastes - the C300 Navihawk is more my size, but I do miss the solar, A-T, and back-lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.