Thread: Replace Eco Drive capacitor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Replace Eco Drive capacitor

What little tricks are there to replacing eco drive capacitors?

Zenith Forum Moderator D N Ravenna's Avatar

No trick >>>

You have to find the correct one and buy it. I use swatchbattery.com. The replacement one has the piece already soldered onto it. Something you don't want to try. Mention to them that I told you if you don't mind. I am not sure if it will get you anything, but perhaps it will. I have used them to replace the capacitor on my Eco as well as those on several Seiko kinetics.

Cheers!

Dan

Re: Replace Eco Drive capacitor

I just wonder how long these capacitors last? As I also have eco-drives and kinetics.

These Watches are sold as never needing a new battery, which most of us on these forums know is'nt true!

I read somewhere on here recently that they last about 40 years. I also remember reading something to that effect when I looked into buying mine.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Fouty years seems a long time. If that is true, how come the Guys above are changing capacitors in their Watches. Kinetic and eco-drive hav'nt been available anywhere near that long, perhaps only around ten years or so? I read somewhere that they should last between fifteen and twenty eight years.

So I'm really confused.

How about 4 to 5 years? I cycle through my watches and it sometimes allows my Kinetics and Eco to run down. Somehow, I don't think letting them run down is good for them. They need to be constantly charged.

At any rate, I don't think I have had to wait more than 5 years of inconsistent use before having to replace them.

Dan

That's a bit of a disappointment, not much point in buying kinetic or eco-drive then! You might just as well buy a normal quartz Watch at a much lower price!

I think I will go completely mechanical or save up for a spring drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    That's a bit of a disappointment, not much point in buying kinetic or eco-drive then! You might just as well buy a normal quartz Watch at a much lower price!

I think I will go completely mechanical or save up for a spring drive.

Perhaps, but there are so many cool options on the Eco's. Probably on the Kinetics as well, but I have not looked at them recently. So, do I find it bothersome? Yes. But the new capacitor may last longer, and I will be fine with that.

There is a lot of fun that can be had in a sub-$300 Eco that you can't do on a regular quartz, not to mention the extra $$$ just to get into mechanicals and spring drive.

Cheers!

Dan

Really this is all speculation. Does anyone have an eco-drive that has fizzled out?

Where are you guys getting this information? If an ED is run-down how much does that reduce the capacitors life?

Uh no >>>

Sorry, but I believe I had mentioned that mine had fizzled out. I had it less than five years.

As I said, I cycled through mine so it may have been run down for a couple of months at a time. Now I leave it where light hits the dial.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information