Replacing bezel insert - adhesive question
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Replacing bezel insert - adhesive question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacing bezel insert - adhesive question

So I ordered this lumed ceramic bezel (see below) which looks really nice, good quality. Also have a coin edge bezel from dr.seikostain on eBay, very nice too. Both reportedly work with standard flat crystals.

The bezel insert came with some mounting stuff, looks like a thick double sided tape almost - my question, since this watch will probably go underwater at some point (SRP Turtle btw) - will this actually keep the bezel insert on in the water? Is there something else? What does Seiko use for OEM bezels?

Thanks for any advice. I'll post a brief formal review of the parts used once it's done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Replacing bezel insert - adhesive question

I haven't replaced my SKX bezel insert but I believe it's held in place with double sided adhesive tape like what you have pictured. Dagaz sell these for the SKX and state "install your bezels like the watch companies do!". I have tweaked the insert on a 300m Tuna as it was slightly out of alignment - that was a snap in fit, no adhesive used. Web Store - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.

I've also replaced the insert on a Precista PRS-18 as I managed to badly scratch the original one. I used double sided adhesive tape for that - that's how it was originally held in place too. I've swam and dived with that and the insert is still securely in place.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go ahead and try it. Exciting, I like true coin edge bezels much more than the ones Seiko uses on Turtles and SKXs.

I've used "G-S hypo cement" which works well. Where did you get the insert btw?
    kriiiss likes this.

Double-sided tape? :D nah haha, no way.. Nuh-uh.
    .. Right??

Original seiko insert also has double sided tape. I use loctite metal epoxy or super glue. It is easier to align-work with also I do not like added thickness due to tape.

In case of impact or push, cement or glue can come off much easier than tape since they are not flexible, but you have to hit hard enough to bend at least the bezel. I do not know what happens the tape in water but since seiko-orient uses it, I guess it is fine. Also I swim (pool-sea) with my watches and haven't lost any insert yet.

Here's a pic of the case for insert. It's nice, lume is a close match to watch as is font vs original bezel. Can't get Turtle bezel off, need to read a bit more lol, so sadly no pics yet...
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the past I have used black automotive grade silicone. The slow cure allows repositioning. It can also be a filler to fill low spots or raise the insert in the bezel if desired. Whatever oozes out wipes off and a day later it is fully cured. I haven't had to remove it nor has it come loose, but I imagine it would be easily removeable with at worst some bending of the insert.

In my work I tape, super glue, epoxy, silicone you name it I've probably used and or tried it. That tape is 3m I believe, they are king of hill IMO in the adhesive tape industry. Ever try and remove that stuff? Its a PITA for sure. IMO at worst and after MANY years the tape MIGHT start to give partially but the chances of total and complete failure ending up in a lost insert is almost nil unless the parts were not cleaned properly before applying the tape.
    Have a good one.
    Ron Jr. Scrimshaw & Engraving

To remove the original insert you need to remove the whole bezel assembly. If you try to remove the insert with the bezel still on the watch you might run into trouble (I tried).

Once the bezel assembly is off drop a tiny bit of lighter fluid between the bezel and the insert. It will soften the glue of the double sided tape for a few seconds (really). I was able to remove the original insert without damage with a painter's knife running from the inside of the bezel. They are flexible and sharp enough, that was the best I could find in the house and it worked well.

Clean the bezel from traces of old glue. Snap it back on the watch. Stick the double sided tape on the insert, then put the insert into the bezel et voilą!

The double sided tape you have there is very strong. I mean you could glue a horse to your ceiling with that stuff. It's really strong and I doubt anything will make it come off except the method above.
    Last edited by phcollard; March 22nd, 2017 at 01:20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information