Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko 5 Malaysian movements?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Inactive

Re: Seiko 5 Malaysian movements?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
    Ah, we hear so many "myths" and stories about this subject for so long, that I started asking some people who're in the right places at SII Japan and and TMI (SII's Hong Kong Co.) to try and lay it to rest, if for no-one else, then at least for my own peace of mind. I've been lucky to end up in the right positions to talk to some great people who've been able to help clarify things a little bit. The actual reason for them being made there is a little bit more complicated...
    And, in spite of these myths; we still have no proof that there is any difference in quality between those made in the various factories.

If the prestige of owning a Made in Japan watch is important to the buyer then that's what he/she should go for. But if the buyer simply likes the model then usually some money can be saved buy getting one made in the non Japan factories...smae quality, just a little less expensive :)
    FOOGauzie likes this.

I own that same watch and mine is nearly as accurate as the made-in-Japan 6R15 movement in my SCVS003. Mine gains about a minute per week.

That Seiko 5 is a good little watch, regardless of where the movement was assembled. I've owned four different Seiko 5 models and been happy with the accuracy of all of them.
    Cheers,
    "Spokey"

Seiko, Citizen and Orient wearer

I have a "Black Monster" and a "Velatura". There is nothing on the Monster to indicate where it is made, which means it's not made in Japan. The Velatura says "Movement Japan" on the back.

CZ4

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTritium View Post
    Thanks for that! May explain why my Made in Japan Seiko5sports keep better then 3 seconds a day.
    My SNZJ53J (Made in Japan) has been keeping outstanding time, less than 5 seconds/day. It's a runs slow on the watch winder and a bit fast otherwise, but not more than 5 seconds/day. Overall it keeps pace with my atomic Casio, very pleased with the performance of the Seiko.

I got a Black Monster coming my way. Looking forward to comparing the 7S36 (Japan) with the 7S26 (Malaysia/Singapore) in the Monster.

This one of those debates that could easily be put to rest if Seiko would just answer the question. I sent an e-mail to Seiko USA asking about Seiko 5's and their movements. All they would tell me was that my watch was not made for sale in The USA. The watch in question was a gray market SNZJ05 (English & Arabic Day Wheel) purchased from Hong Kong Dealer. I then wrote an actual pen & paper letter (remember when people used to write letters?) to Seiko HQ in Japan. They replied with a letter thanking me for being a loyal customer since the 1980's. What it did not contain was an answer about where the movements are made. lol they did however send me a super fancy "Seiko" custom designed ink pen complete with case.
    Erich-Dieter Groebe
    Springfield, Missouri
    Because Budapest & Berlin were just too boring

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko5Fan View Post
    This one of those debates that could easily be put to rest if Seiko would just answer the question. I sent an e-mail to Seiko USA asking about Seiko 5's and their movements. All they would tell me was that my watch was not made for sale in The USA. The watch in question was a gray market SNZJ05 (English & Arabic Day Wheel) purchased from Hong Kong Dealer. I then wrote an actual pen & paper letter (remember when people used to write letters?) to Seiko HQ in Japan. They replied with a letter thanking me for being a loyal customer since the 1980's. What it did not contain was an answer about where the movements are made. lol they did however send me a super fancy "Seiko" custom designed ink pen complete with case.
    They have, and this is the answer I was given, in person, over lunch...

Incorrect. Some 7s26 have been made in Singapore, some in Malaysia, and some in Japan. Those marked "JAPAN" on the rotor were made in Morioka, at the same factory as the 6R15.

Source of info: Former Watch Movement Business Administration (Planning Section) Representative, Seiko Instruments Inc. Japan
    Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information