Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Page 13
Like Tree797Likes

Thread: Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Seiko 5

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Re: Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Seiko 5 - Seiko 5

I really like the SNGZ13. I wasn't in the market for a military style watch, but the more I look at this one, and the more I read about it, the more I'm hooked.
    gkfd likes this.

This is a nice review of the SNZG13 from 2012 on Worn and Wound. Some good photos too. I didn't realize it has such a distinct inner bezel. Looks awesome.
    Review: Seiko 5 Sport SNZG13 - worn&wound
    gkfd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meaantje View Post
    The main thing i would change is the crown position. And a larger crown. A pilot watch just has to have a large crown at 3 o'clock.

And secondly the size. Pilot watches are huge watches usualy. Even 38-40mm ould have been much better than 37 imo.
    The small crown at 4 'o clock is what defines a Seiko and a 5!! And it is what I love abut it, because it is VERY comfortable and NEVER diggs in your wrist!
    I agree that a traditional Pilot watch has to have it, but they had it because they were manual wind watches!! On an automatic putting an oversized crown is as fake as a hooker's smile, in other words it is OK in the pursuit of historical styling but it is unnecesarry in terms of functionality, and I believe a a true pilots watch would should be more concerned about functionality than style!
    Also the cool thing about that small 4 o'clock crown is that it first debuted on a Grand Seiko 62GS to show off their new automatic movement and that there is no need to wind the watch at a time when many watches were still manual wind! It was an achievement and they were proudly showing it!

Name:  62GS.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  129.6 KB

as for the size - that is something I wont comment as there are many wrist sizes and I like that there is a smaller pilot styled watch for people like me in a world of 44+ monsters that look ridiculous on smaller wrists!!

There are only 2 things that I would change about the SNK80X:

1. length of the hands as I like them to touch their designated markers
    2. the lume on 12 'o clock should somehow differentiate from other markers as I do use the watch in pitch dark very often and although I can tell the time just fine by the position of my arm, it would be nice if it was done more legible sou you couldn't possibly confuse the markers!

Name:  SNK LUME.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  15.3 KB

Other than that, I have had mine for almost 6 years now, and it has stayed in my collection while many more expensive models have been sold.
    i just love it!
    Davidka likes this.
    v v v Click to visit my channel v v vHidden Content
    ^^^Click to visit my channel^^^

Quote Originally Posted by HIPdeluxe View Post
    My favourite 5 (7619-9000 Aug. '66)...

Attachment 9121274
    I wish they made a current model with a beads of rice bracelet.
    longstride likes this.

Here's my poor mans grand Seiko, the SNKD97K.

Last edited by johnj; October 11th, 2016 at 22:16.
    Marrin, Rocat, BevoWatch and 1 others like this.

Im in love with this vintage Seiko 5. I was amazed to find it at this price. Isnt she a beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by gkfd View Post
    I think you might have bought the wrong Seiko 5. You should look at the SNGZ15. It's very similar to the SNK80x design, but 42mm, crown at 3 o clock.
    Side by side photo from the web:

I wouldnt call this the same styling. The SNK809 is unmistakably a flieger watch while the SNGZ15 is more of a field watch. And it also costs a lot more. I just feel like those 2 points just let the watch down a bit. Yea it is a good watch, but it could have been better. I think ill sell mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrin View Post
    The small crown at 4 'o clock is what defines a Seiko and a 5!! And it is what I love abut it, because it is VERY comfortable and NEVER diggs in your wrist!
    I agree that a traditional Pilot watch has to have it, but they had it because they were manual wind watches!! On an automatic putting an oversized crown is as fake as a hooker's smile, in other words it is OK in the pursuit of historical styling but it is unnecesarry in terms of functionality, and I believe a a true pilots watch would should be more concerned about functionality than style!
    Also the cool thing about that small 4 o'clock crown is that it first debuted on a Grand Seiko 62GS to show off their new automatic movement and that there is no need to wind the watch at a time when many watches were still manual wind! It was an achievement and they were proudly showing it!

Name:  62GS.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  129.6 KB

as for the size - that is something I wont comment as there are many wrist sizes and I like that there is a smaller pilot styled watch for people like me in a world of 44+ monsters that look ridiculous on smaller wrists!!

There are only 2 things that I would change about the SNK80X:

1. length of the hands as I like them to touch their designated markers
    2. the lume on 12 'o clock should somehow differentiate from other markers as I do use the watch in pitch dark very often and although I can tell the time just fine by the position of my arm, it would be nice if it was done more legible sou you couldn't possibly confuse the markers!

Name:  SNK LUME.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  15.3 KB

Other than that, I have had mine for almost 6 years now, and it has stayed in my collection while many more expensive models have been sold.
    i just love it!
    Well it all comes down to styling and what you personally like better. But i think we can both agree that a crown at 3 o'clock is just more in keeping with the flieger watch design. I own another Seiko 5 with the crown at 3 o'clock. I guess i just like that better.
    BevoWatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wristrocket View Post
    I really like the SNGZ13. I wasn't in the market for a military style watch, but the more I look at this one, and the more I read about it, the more I'm hooked.
    I wear my SNZG13 everyday. Love it.
    bobs100, Rocat, Jordanbav and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fagyalllo View Post
    SNK407
    SNKE59 mod
    Attachment 9482866
    Quote Originally Posted by fagyalllo View Post
    SRP271

Last edited by babis3g; October 12th, 2016 at 14:09.
    Marrin, bobs100 and BevoWatch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by meaantje View Post
    Im in love with this vintage Seiko 5. I was amazed to find it at this price. Isnt she a beauty?
    Here is the modern version (SNKN01) of the vintage you like.
    Name:  SNKN01.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  42.7 KB

That's a nice looking watch. Btw, is that a Double Barrel Shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
    SRP271

Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information