Seiko 5M43 Capacitor

Thread: Seiko 5M43 Capacitor

Seiko 5M43 Capacitor

Hey guys,

Got a watch a while back as a graduation present, it is a Seiko Kinetic Sports 50, I believe the model is a 5M43 (posted below a scanned image of it). I get two, maybe three days best on a full charge with the watch. I found this disappointing, so I started doing some research and found some information that the capacitator (which is the battery I pressume) is either faulty or an older type that was put into my watch, and that with a newer capacitator the life on a full charge would be greatly improved.

I have no scrupples taking apart something delicate so long as I have the proper tools and know how to do it properly. However, if anyone has a moment to browse over the links below from the information I've gathered and shed some light on the process of replacing the capicitator I would much appreciate it.

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSch...%20Kinetic.htm

http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=752540

http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli...?idproduct=945
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by luminator; January 19th, 2009 at 07:56. Reason: spelled capacitor in title wrong

kew

Re: Seiko 5M43 Capacitator

Hello luminator and welcome to the forum!

There is a bit of info on the post down below..
    here's the link. Maybe it will be of some help.

Replacing capacitor with a regular battery??

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by luminator View Post
    Hey guys,

Got a watch a while back as a graduation present, it is a Seiko Kinetic Sports 50, I believe the model is a 5M43 (posted below a scanned image of it). I get two, maybe three days best on a full charge with the watch. I found this disappointing, so I started doing some research and found some information that the capacitator (which is the battery I pressume) is either faulty or an older type that was put into my watch, and that with a newer capacitator the life on a full charge would be greatly improved.

I have no scrupples taking apart something delicate so long as I have the proper tools and know how to do it properly. However, if anyone has a moment to browse over the links below from the information I've gathered and shed some light on the process of replacing the capicitator I would much appreciate it.

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSch...%20Kinetic.htm

http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=752540

http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli...?idproduct=945
    Everything you need to know is in those links.
    You only need a tool to remove the case back and a small jewelers screw driver plus the replacement power cell kit.

It's really pretty simple if you follow those links

Thank you both for your replies. It looks like I'm on the right track here with the kit that I need to do this, I do however have a few questions...

1) is this replacement 30235mz kit putting in a new battery or a new capacitator? what I mean is, am i putting in a newer version of what is already in the watch or am I putting in just a regular battery? I'm actually not quite certain of the difference between a capacitator and battery, which explains my question, lol.

2) in regards to removing the back of the watch, it appears as though the fellow in the tutorial is using a machine that "pinches" and grabs the little notches on the rear cover. i obviously don't have that machine, has anyone else devised a method to removing the rear cover? I'm thinking maybe the right size of needle nose pliars may work.

3) is this replacement kit only boosting my charge for the first six months or will it overall be better and more efficient at holding a charge and lasting longer?

thanks a ton guys, really would be nice to get more than a day outta this watch. peculiar, because i left my watch in a rather cold room and came up later in the night and found it two hours behind with the second hand skipping and the charge button not even working. gave it five minutes to warm up on my wrist and was fine.

thanks a ton guys, really would be nice to get more than a day outta this watch. peculiar, because i left my watch in a rather cold room and came up later in the night and found it two hours behind with the second hand skipping and the charge button not even working. gave it five minutes to warm up on my wrist and was fine.
    When was the last time you really charged up your watch?

Do you know that if you do not wear it, it will not charge up?

The movement of the watch is what charges the CAPACITOR (NOT "capacitator") - no movement, no charge.

Have you tried rapidly moving the watch back and forth (as described in the manual) for several minutes to charge it up?

After reading your posts again, I'm getting the feeling you are just not wearing your watch enough
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Here's a good link also:

http://quartzimodo.com/articles/the-...-boon-or-bane/

1) is this replacement 30235mz kit putting in a new battery or a new capacitator? what I mean is, am i putting in a newer version of what is already in the watch or am I putting in just a regular battery? I'm actually not quite certain of the difference between a capacitator and battery, which explains my question, lol.
    Its a Lithium ion rechargeable battery. Seiko stopped using Capacitors back in 2000. A capacitor is different from a rechargeable battery.

2) in regards to removing the back of the watch, it appears as though the fellow in the tutorial is using a machine that "pinches" and grabs the little notches on the rear cover. i obviously don't have that machine, has anyone else devised a method to removing the rear cover? I'm thinking maybe the right size of needle nose pliars may work.
    I've had good luck with a screw ball from http://www.ofrei.com/ You're likely to scratch up the back with needle nose.

3) is this replacement kit only boosting my charge for the first six months or will it overall be better and more efficient at holding a charge and lasting longer?
    Should work much better.
    Last edited by Brig; January 18th, 2009 at 21:48. Reason: fix link

Inactive

Brig has addressed your questions quite nicely below

I'll just add a little to #3.

With the older 'capacitor' the longest a charge can be held is about 72 hours. Then you need to charge it up again. It is not good for the capacitor to let it drain completely and leave it uncharged.

The newer 'battery' will hold a charge for about six months before it is drained. Charging it back up will give it another 6 months of capacity.
    Litium Ion batteries don't like being discharged below a certain level so they should always be kept charged up.

With the 5M43, the minimum charge level shouldn't be allowed to drop below the 10 second level or the battery will begin to deteriorate much quicker than it normally would.

It the battery is allowed to completely discharge and is left that way for a few weeks, the cell may become permanently damaged and have to be replaced.

Kinetics need to be kept charged to maintain the health of the storage cells.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    When was the last time you really charged up your watch?

Do you know that if you do not wear it, it will not charge up?

The movement of the watch is what charges the CAPACITOR (NOT "capacitator") - no movement, no charge.

Have you tried rapidly moving the watch back and forth (as described in the manual) for several minutes to charge it up?

After reading your posts again, I'm getting the feeling you are just not wearing your watch enough
    gaijin, I am fully aware that it must be worn to charge. I wear the watch everyday for the entire day. I have flicked it back and forth hundreds of times to charge it up fully, it still only lasts a day or two at best. my issue is that I literally cannot skip a day if, for instance I am sick and do not go out, otherwise I will go to put it on two days from wearing it and it will be dead.

Brig and alpha, excellent information, thank you. So it basically boils down to this new rechargeable little button battery being much better at holding a charge than the old capacitor. Just out of curiousity though, how long does this battery last in overall life (not charge)? if its only a few years it kinda makes me wonder what the purpose of kinetic is, although I know next to nothing about the benefits of kenitic so I stand open to correction.

I'm ready to do this little procedure, no real concerns other than removing that cover. I hear what youre saying brig, i'd hate to scratch the glass window. however, i'd hate to have to purchase a new tool for something that looks to be a one time thing. i'm thinking that with a cloth sheet on top of the cover though it will protect the glass in the event that I slip while removing it if i use needlenose pliars. Does the cover twist off or pull up to be removed?

Inactive

gaijin, I am fully aware that it must be worn to charge. I wear the watch everyday for the entire day. I have flicked it back and forth hundreds of times to charge it up fully, it still only lasts a day or two at best. my issue is that I literally cannot skip a day if, for instance I am sick and do not go out, otherwise I will go to put it on two days from wearing it and it will be dead.

Brig and alpha, excellent information, thank you. So it basically boils down to this new rechargeable little button battery being much better at holding a charge than the old capacitor. Just out of curiousity though, how long does this battery last in overall life (not charge)? if its only a few years it kinda makes me wonder what the purpose of kinetic is, although I know next to nothing about the benefits of kenitic so I stand open to correction.

I'm ready to do this little procedure, no real concerns other than removing that cover. I hear what youre saying brig, i'd hate to scratch the glass window. however, i'd hate to have to purchase a new tool for something that looks to be a one time thing. i'm thinking that with a cloth sheet on top of the cover though it will protect the glass in the event that I slip while removing it if i use needlenose pliars. Does the cover twist off or pull up to be removed?
    The new technology Lithium Ion cells should be good for 10 to 20 years according to the companies using them but time will tell...
    There is some good information here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...ion_technology

With the advent of regular non rechargeable batteries with 10 and 12 year life; the kinetic is really pretty much an anachronism. Chances are most kinetic cells; capacitors and batteries alike will not perform much past this either...but you have to keep the kinetic power cells charged or they will die much sooner

Thread Information