Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko 6R15 movement??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seiko 6R15 movement??

I'm looking at the new Alpinist with the 6R15 movement...can anybody tell me the characteristics of the 6R15? Is it superior to the movement in the Seiko dive watches..[something-something 26....sorry, can't think of it at the moment...]

Re: Seiko 6R15 movement??

You probably mean the common diver movement 7S26. To my knowledge (I've never seen it) the 6R15 hacks, meaning the second hand stops when you pull the crown out. Most automatics keep going, I think that's due to the stress that would be caused by stopping the mainspring. Also it can be hand wound like some of the Citizen auto divers, which makes it similar to a lot of Swiss ETA movements.

Hacking, hand windable automatic, longer 50 hour power reserve over 7S26, adjusted a bit more accurate from the factory than a 7S26. My 6R15 is in a Spirit.
    "Take that quartz toy off of your wrist son, and strap on a real watch!"

I say go for it. I love the green dialed movement. I will be swooping on a new diver with the same movement, if one comes out and I can afford it.

That's a gorgeous watch, and a great shot Pete!
    "Take that quartz toy off of your wrist son, and strap on a real watch!"

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Watchman View Post
    Hacking, hand windable automatic, longer 50 hour power reserve over 7S26, adjusted a bit more accurate from the factory than a 7S26. My 6R15 is in a Spirit.
    Just a quick update on Knight Watchman's post re. accuracy. My 6R15B in a Spirit is currently running at 3-4 seconds a day fast so well within chronometer standards. My 7S26 equipped monsters are a lot less accurate, approximately 1 minute a day fast. In terms of regulating them I believe both movements are tricky to get more accurate - a bit hit and miss and not as easy to adjust as a Swiss ETA movement.

All in all the 6R15 is superior to 7S26 the IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gary

What is Seiko next highest/better movement?

??? > 6R15 > 7S26

thnx!
    current:
    Tissot PR50 Titanium Seven

incoming:
    -

"under consideration":
    -

current grail list:
    Breitling Chrono-Matic 24H
    Breitling Aerospace Avantage
    Seiko Prospex MarineMaster 600M SpringDrive SBDB001
    GrandSeiko GMT SpringDrive SBGE001

GrandSeiko 200M SpringDrive Ti Diver SBGA031

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I'm looking at the new Alpinist with the 6R15 movement...can anybody tell me the characteristics of the 6R15? Is it superior to the movement in the Seiko dive watches..[something-something 26....sorry, can't think of it at the moment...]
    The 6R Calibers are an evolution of the 7S calibers, with (most notably) the added ability to hack, hand-wind, and slightly improved power reserve. Here is a quote from Dr Coen on SCWF which illustrates some of the other differences:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Coen
    The improved power reserve comes about through the use of a new type of mainspring material which is thinner allowing a longer spring in the same barrel space as the 7s26.

A side-by-side photo of a 7s26 and 6r15 was posted here last week. The similarities are plainly visible. The most obvious difference is the deletion of the magic lever pawl winding system and it's replacement with an automatic winding bridge.

Some other members also commented on apparent balance wheel changes.
    Here is a picture-link from yeoman's Blog of the 6r15 next to a 7s35 so you can see some of the differences and many similarities (click on the image for a full sized picture):

Here is a discussion on SCWF which elaborates further on how the 6R caliber is an evolution of the 7S caliber:

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index...&id=1149031685

Quote Originally Posted by northerner View Post
    What is Seiko next highest/better movement?

??? > 6R15 > 7S26

thnx!

I also wonder why they called it 6R15 and not 8T37... doesn't make much sens.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    The 6R Calibers are an evolution of the 7S calibers, with (most notably) the added ability to hack, hand-wind, and slightly improved power reserve.

Here is a picture-link from yeoman's Blog of the 6r15 next to a 7s35 so you can see some of the differences and many similarities (click on the image for a full sized picture):

Any chance a 7S26 can be easily converted to a 6R15, assuming the right parts are available?

Or if a complete 6R15 movement (assume cost effective to buy) can be dropped into a watch that originally had a 7S26?

cheers
    current:
    Tissot PR50 Titanium Seven

incoming:
    -

"under consideration":
    -

current grail list:
    Breitling Chrono-Matic 24H
    Breitling Aerospace Avantage
    Seiko Prospex MarineMaster 600M SpringDrive SBDB001
    GrandSeiko GMT SpringDrive SBGE001