WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko Chronometer 5626 7091- adjustment screw

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Stuey63 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just unpacked this 5626, bought on eBay. The three reasons I went for this one:
1 somehow I got the impression this was in original condition, unpolished, some signs of age and decade-long beating that were not polished off, private seller, not specialized in watches ... and after unpacking it even shows the infamous 5626 date quick set issue
2 I think the design of those cushion/ c-shape case chronometers (Gerald Genta?) makes for a gorgeous piece of watch design history
3 It's built the month I was born! (birth month watch?)

Now my question: anyone of you has handled or owns a 7091 (not the other 709x I mean). If so, does it have the typical 5626 external adjustment screw between the lugs. Mine does not have it - so I wonder .... Though, I can't really imagine that the case was swapped. But I am by now means an expert.

Greatly appreciate all input on this!
Daniel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think I saw this one for sale but I did not bid. Would have been nice to have seen the movement but with these front loader compression cases it's hard to get access without a watchmaker's help.

It's an interesting piece as it's an export version of the King Seiko Chronometer and the crown is unsigned. Might be correct that it did not come with the regulating screw on the case.

-Brian

#3 ·
Thanks Brian,

I hope it's correct, all other parts look legit, and apart from the Grand Seiko 5645 7010 I can't see another model using the same case.

I still haven't had the chance to have the case opened, but finally put it on a strap. Pretty relieved to see that it runs within -10 sec a day - even before the watchmaker has seen it.

Here's a wrist shot to show the dial. The one thing I was surprised about: it really wears substantially larger than most dress watches from that period.

Second pic is from the 1969 US catalogue, it's featured on the first page after the title. That probably tells something about the status of that model then.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Hi Daniel, just a late post to say I have one of those inherited from my father and bought new by him in the 70's (a gold cased version, supplied with brown leather strap), and it doesn't have the screw adjuster. From what I figured a while back when I looked into it, I think Seiko dropped this adjuster in later models of that watch. I do wonder if it was to make the case slightly more water resistant.

Cheers

Stuey

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Stuey & thanks, that's really interesting information. I meanwhile bought another one, 5626 7090 (not 7091). And actually the supposedly older (?) 7090 comes with the external adjustment, meaning you were absolutely right!

I am still trying to find out more about these watches. It looks like they do blend Grand Seiko (case design and most certainly dial) with King Seiko features (movements). Plus it's produced at Suwa factory, which did both at that time. A Grand/King Seiko hybrid would be quite something - but so far I can only guess!

#6 · (Edited)
Another interesting tidbit...Dad's wasn't as accurate as he'd hoped so he sent it off to the Australian Seiko service centre. It came back supposedly serviced but with exactly the same accuracy. Nowadays I've surmised it was because the Australian service centre didn't have the tool to take the crystal out and since the back is fixed, they just thought 'too hard'! This place was pretty backward in those days...

I made my own copy of the tool out of sheet aluminium from drawings on the net, and it worked perfectly. Over a few years I've collected a NOS crystal and crown and intend to put the watch back into use (it works but needs a service).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.