View Poll Results: Which is more respected?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seiko

120 78.95%
  • Citizen

32 21.05%
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Seiko or Citizen? Which is More Respected?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Seiko or Citizen? Which is More Respected?

To the normal person (or non WUS member ) which watch brand is more respected: Seiko or Citizen? Which is more likely to be noticed by the everyday folk as a watch of quality?

Please vote and explain your reasoning.

Re: Seiko or Citizen? Which is More Respected?

I can't really speak for normal people as I haven't been normal since Moses was in short pants. With that said, I've always considered the two brands on par with one another. IMHO, I regard Seiko as building watches more old school, with many automatic offerings and most all built to last. Citizen though I think of as more new school with the innovative eco-drive technology and interesting shapes and styles of its divers. Watches like the nighthawk, the eco-zilla and the aqualands are really far out designs and show a certain flair.

um, I dont see how this can be debated. Seiko might be the most innovative watch company in the world. They are also the most vertically integrated. They are respected by wis all through the product range. the credor and gs are serious pieces at the top end and the bottom end is respectable kit to nearly everyone. None of that can be said about Citizen

First and foremost, this is not a good place to ask this question. We're all too neurotic about watches to give an answer from the perspective of Joe Public.

With that said, (I am only speaking for the U.S. market here) I would have to say Citizen would be more likely to hold a "higher esteem" in the court of public opinion than Seiko. It seems that Citizen advertises more and they really push their Eco Drive technology, as was mentioned above me. Also, when you shop jewelry stores in the U.S. that stock both Seiko and Citizen, the Citizens are more enticing, in my opinion. 99% of U.S. domestic market Seikos that you find on display in stores are plain old quartz. To a WIS, that's not issue. But to Joe Public, there's no sex appeal there when compared with Citizen's Eco Drive.

But the playing field levels out when you open the comparison between Seiko and Citizen to grey market watches.

So my vote for this particular question goes to Citizen. But I am in no way saying or implying that it is a better watch. (Even though I've had a Citizen glued to my wrist for the past week.)

On a similar note, a good friend of mine works at one of those said jewelry stores that stock both Seiko and Citizen and they are discontinuing Seiko and looking for a new line to start selling. The Seikos are just not moving for them.
    Just my $o.o2.

Bernhardt Sea Shark | Seiko Black Monster | Vostok Amphibia | Ticino Type A | Orient Bambino | G-Shock G6900

Seiko is, I'm told, by far the more respected in Japan, where the company has iconic status. It's hard to say about North America, since neither commands much respect in comparison with Swiss watches. I think that, if I had to take a guess, I'd say that Seiko is probably a little ahead in North America as well. This is not to say for a minute that "greater respect" means "better watches." I own both in about equal numbers, and consider them of equal quality overall.
    Vancouver

I voted Seiko. Based upon many years on watch forums, I would say Seiko is the most respected by far. If you had asked which one has the best bracelets, I would have voted Citizen.
    Poywatch

I like both. But, must admit that many folks are more likely to think of Seiko as a higher quality brand. Much of this is due to Citizen's piss poor marketing of their Eco-Drive line of watches. (Of which I'm a huge fan.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

A good point was made about US market. I'd agree that Citizen has a better US line, but Seiko has a WAY! batter world market.

I also feel that Citizen is a Low/Mid end watch, where Seiko is Low/Mid and High end. Also seems that Citizen has a wide range in the mid end, where Seiko has a very wide low end & High end range.

I was a Citizen fan. I had (still have) many Citizens and I was thinking eco-drives were awesome, radio controlled ones were unbeatable.
    Then one day I bought a Seiko, it is hard to tell how but it feels like Seikos have a higher soul. They wear and beat different on wrist.
    Since then I always prefer and look for another Seiko.

Of course this is my private opinion about Citizen and Seiko.

I voted Seiko. IMHO, Seiko is more respected. However, Citizen's Eco Drive and Radio Controlled line is really outstanding. Or, should I say Seiko has many more different designs and models when it comes to automatic line? Something like that.

Capt. Serdal
    Casio: F-91W; MKII: LRRP UTC 48; LRRP UTC HRV; Stingray; Seafighter Day / Date; Paradive Date 12 Hr. Bezel; Seiko: SKX007J BNIB; 7548 - 7000; 7548 -700C / 704X Hybrid; 6117 - 8000 Navigator GMT; 7C43 - 7001; 7C43 - 7001 Red Korean; SBCM023 Prospex Perpetual; 6306 7001; CYGHAL: Alarm; Marathon: MSar 500 Pc. Ltd.; ROLEX: GMT II Pepsi; Sub 1680 Ca.1969; Sub 16610; GMT II Coke, GMT II Black; CWC: G10 Fatboy '80. WTB: CWC SBS Day / Date.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information