WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko Flightmaster SNA411 vs SNA411P1

83K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  OuttaTime2 
#1 ·
Hello! I'm new in the forum and this my first post. I'm purchasing my first "real" watch and I've decided on the Seiko Flightmaster (SNA411 / SNA411P1). My question is, what's the difference between the SNA411 and SNA411P1? I visited Seiko's website, but it didn't really gave me much information.

Hope you guys could enlighten me on this so I could buy the one that suits me best.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Shadowfox - welcome to the forums ;-)

I have the SNA411P1. I have performed a quick Google and both SNA411 and P1 return the same results which is leading me to believe that they are the same model. There is a P2 which appears to be the same watch but with a rubber strap.

Maybe SNA411 is the model, and the P1/P2 is the variant... that would be my guess.

Anyway - time for some pic whoring... this was my P1 on honeymoon in Mauritius a couple of years ago ;-)

Kind regards,
Daniel.

#5 ·
You sir are right on the money...'tis nothing more than how it is attached to the wrist, metal or rubber. |>|> (I'm drooling over the SNDA13P1)

Ricehead

#8 ·
:-!
Or maybe a P3S (special)!!
Nice picture!

I like the look of this watch; I'm now in search for one and found this very interesting!.
How do you like the finish on yours? What's the lug width?
Can you have a second time zone instead of the alarm feature? Do you know if it can be set at +or - 30 minutes ( my time zone is GMT-4:30 now days )

Thanks in advance!!

Dc-niner.

#9 ·
Hi Shadowfax,

I've got the sna411 and just thought I should warn you that although it's well made, it's got some problems. The alarm is so quiet, it's almost inaudible (a general problem for Seikos with this movement, exacerbated here by the increased water-resistance of the watch, which has a muffling effect), the print on the slide rule is so small, it renders the slide rule unusable, and the domed crystal over the dark dial is highly reflective. On the plus-side, this is an unusually solid watch, considering the price, and it looks good.

#10 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and am glad I used the search button,this was exactly the question I was about to ask !
Am also seriously thinking of buying this watch , but as I want to be 100 % sure keep looking at watches its driving me mad and cant decide through the many impressions I get ,May I ask what the "regular" price is for the sna411 ?

#11 ·
I have the Ana-Digi version, the SNJ017P1 with the H023 movement. It is a great watch, solid, packed with features and has the world timer function. A little more expensive than the analog-quartz SNA411 but also a great alternative.

Seiko discontinued the SNJ017 and SNJ018 (2 tone) for 2009 but you can still get them in the internet (I bought mine from www.dexclusive.com) and some local Seiko ADs still stock them.

#13 · (Edited)
Better late than never, right?

Yes, you can use the alarm dial as a second time zone in any offset you want. It's an entirely separate movement, as far as I can tell. I keep my alarm dial set to Zulu because the alarm is indeed too quiet to be useful (I use my cellphone to wake me up), and I'm solidly in the middle of US Central time -- if I go to another time zone, it's enough of a trip to reset the real watch. I do have a lot of British friends, so it could be mildly useful to know GMT, but I always forget when to add an hour for DST.

The alarm dial isn't quite as precise as the main -- two minutes behind on mine, but close enough, especially if you resync it every time you reset for DST.

Lug width is 21mm, I've got two 10mm bands on mine.

Also, P3S Mk1 Mod0:

The snaps were introduced in Mk0 Mod1, because my job risks scratching the crystal:

It's even got a molded-to-the-curve-of-the-glass piece of plastic sewn in over the crystal. I was going to make a leather cover, but never could get it to fit right.

Edit: The slide rule markings are actually fairly standard, as slide rule markings go. The E6B on the watch started a bit of an obsession with slide rules, and I have a 10" Pickett and a 6" Post. The markings are about the same size on all three.

#18 ·
Thanks! I just did it, and set it to GMT/Zulu/UCT, as I got my large minute hand exactly lined up with that TINY hash mark. Lord only knows what I'd set that sub-dial to before! It was merrily percolating away.

I measured the accuracy of mine the first month I had it, and it lost 1/2 second over the month. I'm impressed. Just have to remember to tighten down the crown (the fact that the crown of lockable/screwable not mentioned in my copy of the directions.) when you ltighten/lock the pushers. Unlocked crown, mine seemed to wander around a bit.

#20 ·
hello,
i am about to buy this watch, and frankly it seems to might be over featured.
how do you even use a watch to calculate things like speed, gas amount or direction (it seems to be able to point to the north)?
for those who own this watch, do you really know how to use it?
p.s. does its glass scratch easily?

#22 ·
I have a light scratch on mine when I banged it into a door. It is a superb watch. Don't forget the white dial version (with red second pointer abd blue sub-dials) if you want a different look.

These watches sell for about $200 on the grey market online, which is amazing value. I bought mine for $500 in Malaysia about 7 years ago, back when official retail was $1k.

Only problems over 7 years are:
A. Initially the bracelet caught in my armhairs, but now it feels great (maybe I'm just used to it...)
B. Domed hardlex is a scratch trap
C. Minor fogging appeared on the inside crystal about a year ago. Took it to a trusted watch repairer recently and he found no leaks and no corrosion.

The good:
A. It is not only one of Seiko's truly great looking watches, it is an absolute all time great looker
B. The sweep of the chrono second hand is like a quality stop watch
C. The gold Seiko font on the black dial version is superb.

#21 ·
Yes, it's features are over the top, but that is part of its charm IMO.

I don't know how to use most of the functions, but I take comfort knowing there more to learn!

I haven't scratched my crystal, but I really baby it. Since it is domed it might be slightly more likely to catch on something. Seiko hardlex is relatively durable in my experience, but I don't trust it like sapphire.

The polished parts of the bracelet are scratch magnets, but it is very comfortable. One of the best in my collection.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

#23 ·
Sorry, I kind of abandoned the forum for awhile. But I'm closer in time to you than you were to the last post, so it's okay?

Anyway, the slide rule is a slide rule, either you know how to work it or you don't. My dad is better at it than I, having been taught how to use one in school; I grew up with graphing calculators, and mostly only use the slide rule for simple multiplication/division (I have a Ti-83 emulator on my phone for the hairy math). It's the same as the pilot's E6B, which you have to know your way around to get a pilot's license.

There are tutorials/scans of the instructions that came with slide rules back in the day online if you want to learn. It's not difficult.

The unit conversions are simple "put one pointer on the number and the other pointer shows the conversion", no thinking required.

As for scratch resistance, here it is after five years (how time flies!) of daily wear, being banged against grocery-store shelves. This is what is looks like to me:

And here's one doing all I can with lighting and angles to bring out the flaws:

It's a little scuffed up, but you don't really notice it unless you hold it up to the light just so and really look for it, y'dig? For comparison, my coworkers replace their cheap watches every year or two, the crystals either shattered or hazed beyond readability (think the ground glass on a view camera)

#24 · (Edited)
Got mine for $90 used. Two light scratches on the Hardlex but only noticeable in certain light. Bracelet is a scratch magnet but what polished bracelet isn't.

Very accurate. I wish it wore a little larger. I have 7" wrists and it still looks a tad small but I still love it. Very comfortable.

Attachments

#28 ·
Can anyone advise where the SNA411P is made? I received mine today with a "Made in China" sticker on the back of the case.

The watch doesn't feel obviously cheap/fake, but I just wondered if that is indeed where they're made, or if it ought to be made in Japan?

Thanks

#29 ·
LOL... I love how the fact that it says it's made in China but is not a piece of crap seems incongruous to you.

#31 ·
Right on... sorry for the misread.

I wouldn't be worried about a made in China sticker. Pretty much any watch under $500 is at least mostly made in China anyway. My SARB033 says "Japan" on the dial and says "China" inside the case back.

Everything is made everywhere now.

#32 ·
I think the main thing that made me question it was the style of the sticker on the back of the case. Just didn't seem very authentic. I'll try to upload a pic when I get home.

A quick Google suggests that this model isn't likely to be copied, though with its popularity, who knows?!

Weirdly, a quick Google couldn't find where the watch is supposed to be made.

Am I right in thinking the strap is 21mm?

I tried a 20mm and it was a tiny bit too small.

#33 ·
Yes it is 21mm. Very annoying.

#35 ·
So my new strap arrived today so I've got it on my wrist for the first time this afternoon. (Thanks Amazon Prime!)

Looks good on this strap, IMO.

Also, is the bezel supposed to click? Mine does not.

Also included a pic of the "made in China" sticker.

Attachments

#37 ·
My wife gave me this very nice Seiko SNA411P1 Flightmaster for my birthday this week. What a beautiful little "Flighty" it is! Love the 41mm case size and the great depth of the black dial. The yellow second hand and compass markings add a very nice bit of color. Although a bit hard to hear, I also appreciate the alarm featured in the 6 0'clock sub-dial. Here's a wrist shot and another while in the blue Seiko box.
Watch Analog watch Light Blue Watch accessory
Watch Plant Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

#39 · (Edited)
Jomashop is legit. They sell a LOT of watches, and have a pretty easy return policy.

So wait... there used to be an option to get this on a rubber strap?

EDIT: I'll be damned... TIL...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.