Thread: Seiko made in Japan or not...

Seiko made in Japan or not...

Hi,
    I have recently seen several comments by fellow forumers indicating that there is no difference between the SKX007 J and K models. The former was supposedly made and assembled in Japan whereas the latter was manufactured in Singapore or China or wherever, but I am not even sure of this as some say that the J models aren't even assembled in Japan anymore.

I wanted to ask the same question of the 6309 divers...

Is there any difference (quality or otherwise) between the models that are marked Japan on the back and front as opposed to those that are not?
    It would appear that the later models no longer had the Japan markings (possibly because Seiko had then moved factory to cheaper labour location?).

And then further to that is there any difference between the 6309 7040 models and the 7049 models (these were apparantly for export to the USA)?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    G.

Inactive

Re: Seiko made in Japan or not...

Quote Originally Posted by sysbox27 View Post
    Hi,
    I have recently seen several comments by fellow forumers indicating that there is no difference between the SKX007 J and K models. The former was supposedly made and assembled in Japan whereas the latter was manufactured in Singapore or China or wherever, but I am not even sure of this as some say that the J models aren't even assembled in Japan anymore.

I wanted to ask the same question of the 6309 divers...

Is there any difference (quality or otherwise) between the models that are marked Japan on the back and front as opposed to those that are not?
    It would appear that the later models no longer had the Japan markings (possibly because Seiko had then moved factory to cheaper labour location?).

And then further to that is there any difference between the 6309 7040 models and the 7049 models (these were apparantly for export to the USA)?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    G.
    Firstly, the J and K designations do not indicate where a particular watch was made or assembled; only what market they were intended for.

The same applies to the older designations like 7040 vs 7040; intended market not location of manufacture. In fact most of these watches were made in the same plants on the same assembly lines and then supplied with the case back appropriate for the market into which it was going to be sold.

Secondly all Seiko watches are made and assembled to Seiko standards irrespective of location.

Today only the high end calibers are actually made in Japan and they are of obviously better quality to start with

Usually Seikos that are put together in Japan will have "MADE IN JAPAN" on the edge of dial between the 6 and 7 o'clock markers. Other countries are usually identified on the case back following the words "MADE IN". Name of countries by themselves or with the abbreviation "MOV.", either on the dial's edge or case back or the movement itself, identify where the movement was made and not necessarily where the entire watch was manufactured. By the way, Japan made Seikos come in most price categories and are not really limited to their high-end models. Oh, goody! This gives me a good excuse to show off my SNZB23 again. Enjoy!

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by AirWatch View Post
    Usually Seikos that are put together in Japan will have "MADE IN JAPAN" on the edge of dial between the 6 and 7 o'clock markers. Other countries are usually identified on the case back following the words "MADE IN". Name of countries by themselves or with the abbreviation "MOV.", either on the dial's edge or case back or the movement itself, identify where the movement was made and not necessarily where the entire watch was manufactured. By the way, Japan made Seikos come in most price categories and are not really limited to their high-end models. Oh, goody! This gives me a good excuse to show off my SNZB23 again. Enjoy!
    Unless that is an old vintage model, it is highly unlikely it was manufactured, assembled and cased in Japan or else it would have cost over $1000.

The words on the dial and case back are legaleze for import/export reasons and are not indicative of where a watch was actually made. The cost of labour in Japan precludes any entry level Seiko watches from actually being made in that country.

That being said, every Seiko at whatever price point is equal in quality no matter where the parts were stamped out, where they were assembled or where the whole thing was cased up. Seiko has a rigid set of manufacturing standards that all factories adhere to.

Thread Information