Thread: Seiko modifications

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seiko modifications

Hey, have seen alot of cool Seiko modifications out there. And is wondering on buying one. But how is modded watches seen in the "watch-community". Are they being looked down on, and considered on the same level as fakes and replicas? Or is there acceptance for it?

Anyway, here is the mod i may buy. Someone know what Seiko it is made out from?

V8

Re: Seiko modifications

Based on the level of people who own modded watches I'd say they are looked at with a higher level of appreciation then some full scale manufacturers can muster.

I don't see how a modded watch can be a fake or replica? so you can dismiss that straight away.

That watch is a Seiko 5 military, case is 37mm comes in many different dial and strap combos from Seiko. Look better modded, guess that is why we do it.
    MOTORCITYWATCHWORKS

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Seiko 5~Cheers!

Hi these are based on the Seiko Military SNK809K (as specified in the add from Yobokies, the seller )
    Seiko mods are not frowned upon or considered fakes...I heard many good things about the seller Yobokies (unless you are not buying directly from him ?) these retail around 128 usd shipped !

http://www.network54.com/Forum/17022...+Military+mods

Been lurking for one but waiting for better matching lume on the orange ones...

Regards
    Broes
    SKX007 / Casio GT001 / DW-5600E / DW-6600 / Breitling Transocean / Sinn EZM2 / Chronosport UDT IIc (DPW) // For sale : Breitling 2100 Diavoli Rossi & Military Chronograph Lemania 5100

37mm is small though....any bigger ones?

Suspended

The case is from a Seiko 5, like the others said. The dial and hands are aftermarket.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by RayT View Post
    37mm is small though....any bigger ones?
    Seems the most common cases used are this one, the SKX031, SKX007, 6309, 7005 and Monster.

Modifications are a personal issue and an expression of the mod designer. Buying them ready made really is a bit against the spirit of the process. That said, most don't consider them to be copies or replicas, but some purists don't like to see pieces broken up to do modifications (this is especially true of badly thought out mods on vintage pieces). The cost of a mod varies greatly depending on what is done, who extensive the mod is, and often who performs the mod. More often than not mods cost more to create than the watch is worth for sale after the fact. Sadly this is a point that is often lost on folks offering their mods for sale. the few mods that tend to comand a profit or break even on the cost of creating them are those extensive and unique mods done by well known master craftsmen. Then only will they command those resale prices when sold to other collectors who know what they are buying.

I strongly advice you to educate yourself on the watches available , what you want to do, and how you want to go about it, so you can not only get what you want, but know what you are getting yourself into before hand. when selling a mod, always disclose that it is a mod, and what exactly has been done, and don't expect to get back what you put into it.

I think some mods (especially clean and simple looking ones) often enhance some watches if done well. I quite like them.
    Last edited by Bloke In England; December 25th, 2009 at 01:07.

Gabe, I agree with you when you say that it's a personal issue. For someone purist like me I would not consider such a big modd. If I ever come to thinh of it would be something realy simple like bead-blasting the case or similar.
    Still I don't think that it's a fake. It's an original watch on it's owon stile.
    http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/ulackfocus/RSCN1624-1-2-2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information