Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Member zangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    310

    Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    i have searched and have not been able to find anything regarding this directly, so i thought i would ask here.

    the ETA 2824 seems to be a pretty well respected and reliable movement...a workhorse if you will. both its accuracy and reliability also appear to be predictable. i am not saying it is the greatest movement of all time or anything...but just that it 'gets the job done well'. this is my conclusion based upon reading and research.

    however, i am unfamiliar with the seiko movements, so i am asking how they compare using the 2824-2 as a baseline for the comparison.

    i am looking to buy a new watch, and would like an automatic with reliable movement that can be used daily. my budget, in the watch world, is pretty small at around $400. seiko, at first glance, seems to be a good brand with good QC, at an attractive price (i am sure most of you will agree on this forum).

    has anyone done any type of comparison in this regard? also, what suggestions would you have for an automatic from seiko?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    363

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    Quote Originally Posted by zangler View Post
    i have searched and have not been able to find anything regarding this directly, so i thought i would ask here.

    the ETA 2824 seems to be a pretty well respected and reliable movement...a workhorse if you will. both its accuracy and reliability also appear to be predictable. i am not saying it is the greatest movement of all time or anything...but just that it 'gets the job done well'. this is my conclusion based upon reading and research.

    however, i am unfamiliar with the seiko movements, so i am asking how they compare using the 2824-2 as a baseline for the comparison.

    i am looking to buy a new watch, and would like an automatic with reliable movement that can be used daily. my budget, in the watch world, is pretty small at around $400. seiko, at first glance, seems to be a good brand with good QC, at an attractive price (i am sure most of you will agree on this forum).

    has anyone done any type of comparison in this regard? also, what suggestions would you have for an automatic from seiko?

    Thanks in advance.
    I'll say I feel seiko movements are more robust than their swiss counterparts.
    I wish the low end seiko mvt's would hack and handwind though. that's an area the ETA 2824 bats it. but if you were to take 2 watchs 30 years old that have never been serviced I would say the Seiko would have a much higher chance of still running.

    my 2 cents
    anton1 likes this.
    Take care,
    Seth



    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

    Romans 12:12


  3. #3
    Member MichaelPedersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,047

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    Hack and Handwinding is nice but I rarely use it. I am willing to sacrifice it for an affordable automatic. The 7S26 may be an entry level movement but its excellent and were lucky it exists. However add $20 to you budget get a Sumo and you've got everything a 2824 gets you but 28,800bph. I prefer 21,600bph heartbeats because I like the ticka-ticka sound. This is a tough comparison and one I have thought about a lot, really it boils down to an in-house developed movement or any number of Swiss watches with a generic movement . You also get much better lume with a Seiko, IMO. Good luck finding a Swiss watch for $200 that is Fully developed in house, if that doesn't matter go Swiss. If it does get a Seiko.

  4. #4
    Member Fatpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,242

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPedersen View Post
    Good luck finding a Swiss watch for $200 that is Fully developed in house...
    You won't have any luck, because it doesn't exists
    If you're in Hell what can I say? You probably deserved it anyway

    Nick Cave

  5. #5
    Member zangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    310

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPedersen View Post
    Hack and Handwinding is nice but I rarely use it. I am willing to sacrifice it for an affordable automatic. The 7S26 may be an entry level movement but its excellent and were lucky it exists. However add $20 to you budget get a Sumo and you've got everything a 2824 gets you but 28,800bph. I prefer 21,600bph heartbeats because I like the ticka-ticka sound. This is a tough comparison and one I have thought about a lot, really it boils down to an in-house developed movement or any number of Swiss watches with a generic movement . You also get much better lume with a Seiko, IMO. Good luck finding a Swiss watch for $200 that is Fully developed in house, if that doesn't matter go Swiss. If it does get a Seiko.
    so what are the name of the movements i should be looking for with seiko then?

    i have found a few ~$400 swiss time pieces that use the 2824-2 movement, and some i would be happy to own, but the selection is scarce compared to seiko at that price point; hence why i want to look at the seiko options.

    naturally i just want to make sure i do my research. are there any technical articles that discuss the movement in terms of tested accuracy, shock effects, etc?

    thanks again for the help and replies.

  6. #6
    Member MichaelPedersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,047

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    Seiko movements use Seiko's own Diashock protection, another thing they have is their magic lever system which I know little about. For $400 you could find a used Sumo for that price which has a 6R15. If you want something new a 7S26 is where you want to look, great movement very reliable. Mine all run in the +15sec per day which is acceptable but it can be regulated for better timekeeping. It is shock protected but not hacking/handwinding. Still you can get some great watches around the $200 price point (7S26) heft SS with solid SS bracelets. The Sumo's (6R15) are around $550, but they do go LNIB low as $420.www.chronograph.com has a bunch of em you could browse through. Personally I would avoid the Jubilee bracelet if you buy a 7S26, get a president its better and tighter. That's all the knowledge I have, I love my entry level Seikos and have unloaded all my Swiss for them, save 1 Zodiac I can't seem to let go of yet..

  7. #7
    Inactive Isthmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    9,888

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    The seiko comparable for the 2824 is the r family of calibers. Check out the watches that carry them.

  8. #8
    Member Ricehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    N.J. + PA
    Posts
    1,168

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    I believe the magic lever refers to the fact that any modern automatic has the ability to wind the watch no matter which direction the rotor spins. Other manufacturers' watches will only wind if spinning a certain direction.
    Seiko 6159-7010 Seiko 7S26-7020 (DONATED Towww.komen.org) Seiko 7N36-0AF0(SHC061Sawtooth)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Seiko 7N36-6A29 (SHC045) Seiko 4006-6070 (BellMatic-03-1967) Seiko 7S26-0350 (SKX779) Seiko 8306-8090 (Sealion- 07-1967)

  9. #9
    Member music_healing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Jakarta Indonesia
    Posts
    5,042

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricehead View Post
    I believe the magic lever refers to the fact that any modern automatic has the ability to wind the watch no matter which direction the rotor spins. Other manufacturers' watches will only wind if spinning a certain direction.
    AFAIK, seiko movement are :
    - seiko standard movement use bidirectional rotor, while most ETA is unidirection
    - 21600 bph
    - parts is so easy to get or to improvise to built (ever saw an old watchman using spring from pen to fix a bullhead ?)
    - built in incabloc system
    - ussuly run fast but very easy to regulate and could become damn COSC accurate (like some of mine)

    my 2 trusted old watchman, always reccomend any auto from seiko due to those swiss movement (even Rolex)
    coz of those reasons, Seiko movement is robust, cheap, stand still with times, wear and tear is less than 28800

    so I keep many seiko movements

    ussualy a seiko auto from 1970 without any history of service, would run great directly

    while those irritating spring from high end omega already stop and need services (many personal experience), IMHO

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14

    Re: Seiko movements vs. ETA 2824-2

    My new Seiko Spirit ($ 314.-) with 6R14B movement is 1 second fast in the 2 weeks that I own it. Hacks and winds, but as yet not needed. Great quality watch and a vast improvement compared to my old 7S26B watch. I'm sure it will be as reliable as my old 7S. Why don't you check out one of the 2 reliable Japanese (and more?) sellers who are found in various topics here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2