Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose & why? - Page 2

Poll: Which would it be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose & why?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

I would get the Citizen because I don't have a Citizen automatic in my collection and because the Seiko 38mm is way too small for my wrist. I do prefer the very pointy hands of the Seiko but I know I would never wear it due to the small size.

Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

Great thread. I'm mulling over the same decision myself, having already ruled out the SARX.

Why doesn't Seiko offer a more decorated movement for $750-$1000? They need something to fill the gap between the SARB and Grand Seiko line that's not a diver/quartz.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    Why doesn't Seiko offer a more decorated movement for $750-$1000? They need something to fill the gap between the SARB and Grand Seiko line that's not a diver/quartz.
    I think they did/do in the Brightz line, with the 8L movements. I think they can be had for less than $1000.

-adi4
    SaoDavi likes this.

Choice depends on your wrist size and what else is in your collection.

On a watch vs watch basis, Citizen hands down - better movement better fit and finish.
    If you have small wrists like myself then the SARB.

If you're saving for a GS and this is a pit stop then the SARB. Or if it gets you there quicker, maybe a seiko 5.

I bought the Citizen because I was intrigued by the movement. I also liked the looks, size and ability to buy domestically. I think the SARB is a great watch too. I can't actually vouch for the SARB since I have never owned one but the Citizen is a very impressive watch, aside even from the quite reasonable price.

Without having handled the Citizen, I have to believe that it is a better finished watch. Therefore, I would prefer to own it. It also costs more, so whether or not the Citizen is the better value is open to debate...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM '801 EE Motor Barrel'

I have a SARB065 and a Citizen Grand Classic. My take is that the SARB is worth the money, but the Citizen is a lot of watch for the money. The Citizen also has an incredibly comfortable bracelet, more comfortable than my Omega (a blasphemous statement, I know.) I don't think the SARB comes close to the Grand Classic.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Outlawyer and SaoDavi like this.
    Omega Speedmaster
    Hamilton Ventura
    Armand Nicolet M02 Day-Date
    Eterna Moonphase Monopusher Chronograph
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Tonneau Chronograph
    Tissot Visodate Heritage
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Hamilton Khaki West Point
    Vintage Racine/Gallet doctor's watch
    Citizen Grand Classic
    Seiko Kinetic SKA533
    Citizen Eco-Drive A09000-06B
    Seiko 5 SNK809K2
    Casio G-Shock 5600
    Hamilton Contour
    Swatch BUNNYSUTRA STGK101
    Swatch License To Kill SUDB103
    Swatch Yamaha Racer GJ700D

Citizen GCS is hellishly good value for the money, but it is more money than the Seiko SARB.
    Has a low profile on the wrist, wears its 42mm size, and as pointed out above, has a very nice bracelet (screwed into the bargain).
    Nicely decorated movement with good out of the box timekeeping (by and large – mine was sent to Citizen UK for regulation and returned at +1.5 sec/day) and comes with a 5 year warranty (6 when you register it online).

For the money, I can't think of anything Swiss or from Seiko (JDM SARC/SDGC with their extra complications included) that competes – Citizen really should be making more noise with this one.
    As someone else pointed out above, it's not just as dressy/formal as the SARB, but then the Seiko won't be as much the all-rounder as the Citizen is.

You'll not go wrong with whichever one you finally decide upon, but for me, the Citizen makes more of a case for its selection than the Seiko does, irrespective of relative price.

Quote Originally Posted by adi4 View Post
    I think they did/do in the Brightz line, with the 8L movements. I think they can be had for less than $1000.

-adi4
    Almost all of the Brightz models I've seen are solar, radio controlled or similar. I saw a couple of autos but they're very sporty looking.

Question: does the 42mm case on the Citizen include the crown guard?

I think 42mm is a little large for something trying to be dressy and sporty. 40mm would probably be better. But if they're including the crown guards in that measurement, the dial/bezel might be 40mm causing the watch to "wear small".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information