Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose & why? - Page 3

Poll: Which would it be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose & why?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Member Mattthefish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    968

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    I think that the Citizen is by far a better watch, but unfortunately the case/crown proportions are all wrong. It's a shame because it could have been so much better.
    kinkycad likes this.

  2. #22
    Member ken_sturrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,526

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    Question: does the 42mm case on the Citizen include the crown guard?
    I'm getting the following on my caliper:

    crystal edge to crystal edge = 36mm
    outer bezel edge to outer bezel edge = 40mm
    2 o'clock to 8 o'clock = 41mm
    2:30 o'clock to 8:30 o'clock (includes crown guard) = 41.7mm
    3 o'clock to 9 o'clock (includes crown) = 44.75
    lug to lug = 46.5mm

    Unfortunately, I measured this in the past and the sizes came out a little different but I double checked them and this is what I seem to get. My eyes may be going...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattthefish View Post
    I think that the Citizen is by far a better watch, but unfortunately the case/crown proportions are all wrong. It's a shame because it could have been so much better.
    Not that I disagree, but that's a pretty definitive statement for a subjective topic. I admit that I like the quirky proportions, although it makes the watch less versatile (also, the screws that hold the crowns in place are not as refined as I'd like...).
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; May 28th, 2014 at 05:27. Reason: added sizes
    SaoDavi likes this.

  3. #23
    Member Munchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the top of the dial
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    I voted for the Citizen ...because I already have the Sarb 033

    Name:  S58.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  117.3 KB

    Name:  S51.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  114.0 KB

    Its a beautiful versatile watch! Better looking than the Citizen imo

    However from what I have read the movement of the Citizen is superior which is a big plus for me as I have been a little disappointment with the 6R15. Also the lume on the Citizen looks better or more professionally applied than on the Sarb.
    Cheers

    M

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    913

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    For my needs - the SARB

    I just prefer the style of it - it has a simpler look and style to it that makes it that bit more versatile to wear, and I just personally like the cleaner dial and crown it has. Where money is an issue I believe it is also notably cheaper - which for me leaves the Citizen costing just that bit more than I am willing to spend.

    The Citizen I believe will be the better watch technically, but that means little to me when the style doesn't suit what I like.

    I guess my opinion is probably best erred by the fact it is the SARB that I wear daily...

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    527

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    Quote Originally Posted by stewham View Post
    For me I'd choose the Seiko (and not because of my obvious Seiko bias).
    That's funny - I chose it because of my obvious Seiko bias!

    A Citizen (rare 1966 College Alarm - still a beaut) got me into watch collecting. Seiko, however, kept me there. And I just love the SARB's look, and while the Citizen movement seems legit, Seikos ain't too shabby either in that dept. BTW, an article on my Citizen:

    This Week’s Featured Watch #53 – the College Alarm | Sweephand's Vintage Citizen Watch Blog

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    192

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    I voted Grand Classic. I have it and it is easily my most versatile watch. The crown guards and chunkier crown actually aren't all that bulky and really make the watch stand out. The fit and finish is comparable to Swiss watches I have handled in the 2-3k range. Also, the watch is pretty slim and easily fits under a long sleeve shirt. While the SARB is nice, it is a little too conservative for my tastes (IMHO of course). The Grand Classic is a watch that can be dressed up and down and is a great grab and go watch for most situations. The movement has also been really accurate for me at +4 or +5 seconds per day depending on position and how much it has been wound, and the winding is really buttery and smooth. Lastly, the bracelet is incredibly comfortable, I almost forget that I have this watch on at times because it is the perfect weight and doesn't slide around my wrist. I honestly think this watch is easily worth 2-3 times what you pay for it. Some pics for your viewing pleasure:

    Name:  Image 3.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  94.1 KB

    Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  84.9 KB

    Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  58.7 KB

    Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  80.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Last edited by IanGrey; May 28th, 2014 at 05:10.

  7. #27
    Member peachtreerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, AL, United States
    Posts
    34

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    It's also worth noting that the Citizen's crystal has a double AR coating making it practically invisible.
    Omega Speedmaster
    Hamilton Ventura
    Armand Nicolet M02 Day-Date
    Eterna Moonphase Monopusher Chronograph
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Tonneau Chronograph
    Tissot Visodate Heritage
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Hamilton Khaki West Point
    Vintage Racine/Gallet doctor's watch
    Citizen Grand Classic
    Seiko Kinetic SKA533
    Citizen Eco-Drive A09000-06B
    Seiko 5 SNK809K2
    Casio G-Shock 5600
    Hamilton Contour
    Swatch BUNNYSUTRA STGK101
    Swatch License To Kill SUDB103
    Swatch Yamaha Racer GJ700D

  8. #28
    Member SaoDavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas (D/FW)
    Posts
    1,787

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    I'm getting the following on my caliper:

    crystal edge to crystal edge = 36mm
    outer bezel edge to outer bezel edge = 40mm
    2 o'clock to 8 o'clock = 41mm
    2:30 o'clock to 8:30 o'clock (includes crown guard) = 41.7mm
    3 o'clock to 9 o'clock (includes crown) = 44.75
    lug to lug = 46.5mm

    Unfortunately, I measured this in the past and the sizes came out a little different but I double checked them and this is what I seem to get. My eyes may be going...



    Not that I disagree, but that's a pretty definitive statement for a subjective topic. I admit that I like the quirky proportions, although it makes the watch less versatile (also, the screws that hold the crowns in place are not as refined as I'd like...).
    I just spent the last hour with my calipers measuring a watch for a different user. I guess it's instant karma for me. Thanks for doing the research.

    It seems from the numbers that it might wear a tad smaller than the listed 42mm, which is good, IMO. I think 42mm is little large for a watch that also wants to be dressy. SARB has better sizing and styling, IMO ... but the Citizen seems to be better otherwise. Still not sure which way I'm going though.
    ken_sturrock likes this.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    527

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    SARB has better sizing and styling, IMO ... but the Citizen seems to be better otherwise.
    Citizen may have a slight edge on movement, but it's splitting hairs - if you prefer the Seiko styling, you're still getting a great movement, so get what you prefer. I've always preferred Seiko styling and movements, even if when on paper the movement can be demonstrated as a tiny bit inferior. There's something about Seiko's minimalism and elegant robust quality... The AR is a nice touch on the Citizen, though, must say...

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    85

    Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

    Both are good watches, do visit a shop that carry both watches if prices not too much different chose the one that sit most comfortable on the wrist. also seiko probably have a higher re-sale value.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •