Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose & why? - Page 4

Poll: Which would it be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose & why?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

Quote Originally Posted by IanGrey View Post
    I voted Grand Classic. I have it and it is easily my most versatile watch. The crown guards and chunkier crown actually aren't all that bulky and really make the watch stand out. The fit and finish is comparable to Swiss watches I have handled in the 2-3k range. Also, the watch is pretty slim and easily fits under a long sleeve shirt. While the SARB is nice, it is a little too conservative for my tastes (IMHO of course). The Grand Classic is a watch that can be dressed up and down and is a great grab and go watch for most situations. The movement has also been really accurate for me at +4 or +5 seconds per day depending on position and how much it has been wound, and the winding is really buttery and smooth. Lastly, the bracelet is incredibly comfortable, I almost forget that I have this watch on at times because it is the perfect weight and doesn't slide around my wrist. I honestly think this watch is easily worth 2-3 times what you pay for it. Some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Attachment 1507866

Attachment 1507869

Attachment 1507868

Attachment 1507870
    I think you've sold me. I'm leaning more and more towards the Citizen. Great pics mate. Cheers.

Sent from my K00F using Tapatalk
    IanGrey and ami5975 like this.

Re: Seiko SARB033 or Citizen Signature Grand Classic automatic NB0040-58E- which would you choose &

Quote Originally Posted by Adman View Post
    I think you've sold me. I'm leaning more and more towards the Citizen. Great pics mate. Cheers.
    I'm surprised you've not bothered to scurry off onto Google and start checking for more info on the CGCS, but to save you some time, here's my threads for mine.

A Signature is required.....
    Citizen Grand Classic Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Adman View Post

Sent from my K00F using Tapatalk
    Cool! Look forward to seeing pics if/when you purchase one.

For $300-$400 more, I would expect Citizen to score higher. This model looks very much like other offerings, so I'll take the SARB for $367!

Quote Originally Posted by Laso1 View Post
    They are both beautiful watches. I like the style of the Seiko better. The movement on the citizen is gorgeous. And from what I understand it's an excellent movement. But I would still pick the Seiko because of the appearance and more traditional style.
    I agree with Laso1.
    My little friends:

Bernhardt Binnacle GMT
    Casio G-Shock GD-350
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    Casio G-Shock Mudmaster GWG-1000
    Citizen Nighthawk
    Kienzle Chronograph
    Omega Speedmaster PRO
    Orient Star Classic
    Rolex Submariner
    Seiko SKX 007 Diver
    Seiko SRP 775 Diver
    Seiko SARB 021

And a few other fun watches ...
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzep View Post
    For $300-$400 more, I would expect Citizen to score higher. This model looks very much like other offerings, so I'll take the SARB for $367!
    You have to see the Citizen in person to understand how nicely it is finished. Pics don't do it justice. Honestly it's one of the best bang for buck watches on the market. And citizen doesn't have any other offerings similar to it. It's one of only two models that uses that movement. It simply has the Sarb beat on finishing, movement, and accuracy.
    Sevenmack and Robotaz like this.

Dgf

Exactly!

Apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but the topic is as timely as ever. Having owned both the SARB and the Citizen for nearly a year, would like to offer my $0.02.

To get the big question out of the way, the Citizen is definitely the nicer watch. It should be given that even with online prices, it will cost nearly 2X what the SARB does. But that speaks volumes about the SARB that there is any comparison.

The SARB is an understated masterpiece. It is a watch that does not overwhelm at first but will continue to endear itself as you begin to appreciate the subtle design and quality of the watch. The case and finishing is a tour de force unto itself. The only negative is the bracelet / clasp is hit or miss for getting a perfect fit due to the lack of half links and only two micro adjustment holes in the clasp. Still, it is a very nice bracelet with a beautiful satin finish and subtle polish highlights. As another collector/aficionada observed, the SARB is Seiko's challenge to the Swiss watch makers. It skews the value comparison for any watch under $500.

Whereas the SARB is somewhat understated, once in hand, the Citizen Grand Classic Signature immediately proclaims itself to be a luxury watch. You know you are holding something very special. As others have noted, the domed crystal with double AR coatings seems to vanish. Flip it over and you have that beautiful back and finished movement. Some may have quibbles with some of the design decisions but not with the outstanding quality being delivered. And like the SARB, the Citizen skews value comparison but at an entirely different price point. I rarely handle expensive watches so can only repeat what others have said, the Citizen is one of the nicest watch you can buy for under $2,000. That is a fairly bold statement but it is without a doubt the nicest watch that I have owned. Only negative is also the bracelet. All sizing is done thru adding/removing links. Thankfully a half link is provided but still not ideal. Also, it is a little more "showy" as befitting a luxury watch with polished sections that are rather easy to scuff. I prefer the SARB bracelet...the right balance between dress and practicality (very Seiko!).

To summarize, both of these watches deserve to be in any serious collection. Each punches well above their prices easily. If I could only have one? I could go either way and that is not a cop out. The SARB is a bargain and would be more than satisfied. But, I can easily justify paying the premium to get the Citizen, it is that nice!
    Sevenmack and SaoDavi like this.

The Citizen is more on bar with Sarx and Sdgm in term of quality. Miyota movement on Citizen is accurate also more decorated , my watches run +5,-5 per day .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information