Seiko SARB035 vs. Grand Seiko

Thread: Seiko SARB035 vs. Grand Seiko

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko SARB035 vs. Grand Seiko

Obviously, Grand Seiko is the winner... but I have a question for you guys:

I absolute love the styling on the Grand Seiko. More so than basically any other watch, period. It's simple, well-finished, and just classic.

I was going to buy SARB035 and realize I really enjoy the styling because it's similar to the Grand Seiko. I can't afford the Grand Seiko, but could save for it... and considering I'm the type of person who will just wear the same watch everyday (to some, boring, to me... I find consistency comforting), it seems worth it.

Should I bother buying the SARB035? Especially since I probably won't wear it if I get the Grand Seiko (though that could be a bit aways), considering they are so similar, but Grand Seiko being superior. Then I'll have the SARB (while nice) but will hardly wear it.

What automatic watch, in say the 250 - 500 range, would you get to pair along side a Grand Seiko? Something that would still get wear because it perhaps offers something different, although used for same purpose. What I mean by same purpose is I don't want a diver or something. It needs to be useful both casually and formally (like the Grand Seiko).

And it doesn't need to be a Seiko. Perhaps it would be better if it weren't a Seiko so it didn't compare so easily to the Grand Seiko when it came to wearing one or the other.

Suspended

Re: Seiko SARB035 vs. Grand Seiko

I guess it depends on how easy it is for you to save for the GS. If you are looking at 2 years of eating mac and cheese, then I would say get the SARB and enjoy it. If it is say 3-6 months, then hold back and get the GS.

You could always sell the SARB and recover 50%-75% of your purchase price depending on condition. Or you could have 2 different dial colors, or one on a bracelet and the other on a strap.

At 5-10% of a Grand Seiko's price, it's a no-brainer to buy the SARB035, just to be able wear one and get used to it, making the step up to a GS all that more worthwhile. You can also test out, with actual wrist-time, if you like the classic styling.

You can always sell the watch, or give it to someone, or use it as a 'beater'!

A beautiful dress watch is not going to get worn on active weekends/holidays, or when you go to visit the bailbondsman to get your uncle out of the pokey. A second watch that could take some abuse would be a great addition to your GS.

Considering that I think your second watch should be for activities and dress down times, I'd think an inexpensive diver (quartz or mechanical) or a Casio G-Shock would be a good complement.

Thanks for replies. I guess having two isn't a bad thing. Now it's up to me decide if I want two that are so similar. I suppose getting two different dial colors or one on strap and one on bracelet would differentiate them though.

If I do go with an entirely different watch... any suggestions for something that can swing casual, business casual, and maybe even formal. In the price range of under $500. Also 38mm or smaller.

I was looking at Tissot PR50 Automatic. Also been looking at Hamilton Field Khaki Auto... a bit more casual, but perhaps still works within a business casual (khakis, dress shirt, sports coat).

Any other suggestions?

And then there is sticking with the SARB035 (perhaps in black, since want GS in white)...

Tough decisions. Gotta keep looking around though. Thanks again for replies.

Getting the SARBO35 in black would be a good idea, then just get the GS in white down the road.

Other similar priced.....maybe a bit more would be the Swiss Tissott LeLocle, and the Mido Barconelli.

As ak415 said, you may want to get a wear around the house watch like a G shock, Timex, Nike, or even a Seiko 5 ....all of which can be had for under 100, and some closer to 50. I wear my G shock more than any other single watch, to save wear and tear on my nicer $300 watches

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by JayWrist View Post
    Thanks for replies. I guess having two isn't a bad thing. Now it's up to me decide if I want two that are so similar. I suppose getting two different dial colors or one on strap and one on bracelet would differentiate them though.

If I do go with an entirely different watch... any suggestions for something that can swing casual, business casual, and maybe even formal. In the price range of under $500. Also 38mm or smaller.

I was looking at Tissot PR50 Automatic. Also been looking at Hamilton Field Khaki Auto... a bit more casual, but perhaps still works within a business casual (khakis, dress shirt, sports coat).

Any other suggestions?

And then there is sticking with the SARB035 (perhaps in black, since want GS in white)...

Tough decisions. Gotta keep looking around though. Thanks again for replies.
    Hammy Fields are a little....rustic IMHO. Viewmatic models have a lot more class. Bracelets are a little blingy, but look nice on leather.

Mido is a sleeper brand. I think the Multiforts would be a good pick for you based on size and price. I've always liked the model with the full numbered dial. Other lines are nice as well, but get larger and more expensive.

Also don't overlook Citizen. They tend to run larger and are obviously quartz, but the styles are versatile and you can't beat the convenience of grab and go quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWrist View Post
    I was going to buy SARB035 and realize I really enjoy the styling because it's similar to the Grand Seiko.
    Should I bother buying the SARB035?
    About 20 hours ago from this writing, you said you were considering buying a SARB035 but you've just listed a brand new one in the sales corner an hour ago. Did you buy it locally? Some clarification from you is needed.

This post was actually incorrect. I had bought the watch from Chino. Just for the purposes of this post, I didn't want to say I bought it... then people would just give me advice on keeping it. I wanted more objective advice is all.

I ended up giving it to my father for father's day actually and have taken the post off the Sales Corner.

I hope that clears things up.

And it also means I have decided to just get something different than Seiko and save my way to the GS, one day.

I'll never (well, for financial reasons, let's hope it stays that way) be a crazy watch collector. So, for me, when I buy a watch, regardless of price, I want it to last and fit into a niche within what I have. The SARB035 and Grand Seiko fit in the same place... so I just realized in my own odd mind, it wouldn't work, lol.

Instead, whether it's a few months or years, I'll focus on watches that are a bit different, so when I have a GS... it'll still have it's own purpose (other than being less expensive).

I realize this all makes me sound a bit insane perhaps... but oh well.

And my #1 choice has become:

It seems hard to come by (not available in US according to their website), but have found it online in some places.
    Last edited by JayWrist; June 21st, 2010 at 04:37.

Nice Hamilton...
    JohnA

Dadís Seiko SQ 4004, 1978
    Seiko Sports 100 Chronograph 1990
    Seiko SKX007, 2008
    Seiko 6105 8119, 1971
    Seiko 6309 7040, 1978
    Seiko 6309 7040, 1981
    Seiko 6309 7A20, 1985
    Seiko 7002 700A, 1988
    Seiko 6139-7100 1976