WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

seiko skx007 crown lock question

30K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Georgewg 
#1 · (Edited)
Long time lurker here and first time poster. Just got my first watch ever and its a Seiko skx007, love it! I have probably the most simple question on earth but after setting the date and time how do you know the crown is locked? Is there a click or do you just push in and turn until it doesn't turn anymore? Just want to make sure its water tight as I'll be under water with this watch a lot. Thanks again and look forward to many more watches to add to the collection!

#2 ·
Re: seiko crown lock question

Push in lightly and turn the crown counter-clockwise until you feel the threads 'click' (this lines up the threads on the tube and crown). Then while continuing to push in lightly, turn the crown clockwise and the crown will thread down and seal against the case (about 3 turns). Just snug it, don't tighten until your fingers hurt or bleed (it will strip).

#3 · (Edited)
Re: seiko crown lock question

Push in lightly and turn the crown counter-clockwise until you feel the threads 'click' (this lines up the threads on the tube and crown). Then while continuing to push in lightly, turn the crown clockwise and the crown will thread down and seal against the case (about 3 turns). Just snug it, don't tighten until your fingers hurt or bleed (it will strip).
sounds good thanks! I should know if i've stripped it right?

it just seems as though it would "click" for a lock into place besides just screwing it in, makes me feel uneasy about it being water resistant. But i'm sure this is just new owners nerves ha!

#6 ·
You shouldn't need to screw the crown in too much. The crown is sealed with gaskets and the screw in element is basically to prevent turning our operation of the crown.

Loosely finger tight is fine.
Sorry, only one gasket for SKX 007. Dr Seiko was disappointed to see only one gasket & not two.

#11 ·
That's the reason why I always make sure that the crown on my SKX007 is screwed into the tube tightly. It's much better and a lot safer to have the SKX007 crown screwed tightly into the threaded tube rather than it being screwed in loosely and for it to accidentally get loose.[/QUOTE] That is one reason the SKX007 is so good & popular. The crown at 4 with case protection is designed just to minimize knocking by accident. Whereas the crown at 3 is prone to being knocked about. A bad position in my book.

#19 ·
I set the date to March 1st on my SKX007 this morning. I gently unscrewed the crown to set the date. The crown was screwed on the threaded tube very tight, so I was very gentle when I unscrewed it.

After I finished setting the correct date, I gently screwed the crown back on to the threaded tube, but this time around, I didn't tighten it very tight. I very lightly finger tightened it until the crown stopped screwing on the tube and just gave it a small snug like recommended. So right now, the crown is lightly screwed on to the threaded tube.

#21 ·
If you unscrewed it you can screw it. Um, yeah something like that.
No but seriously, just do it. The spring pushing the crown out is actually quite strong, so you have to overcome that. Push with the tip of your thumb against the crown and twist it, this is a sure way of not cross threading the crown as the friction between the skin and the glossy part of the crown is very low, and additionally you wear the opposite side of the threads, effectively doubling the life of your threads. Also, dental floss them once or twice.

#23 · (Edited)
Try pushing the crown in and turning it counter-clockwise. You'll feel and hear the point where the threads begin. When that happens push the crown in and tighten it by turning clockwise.

If it's a used watch you may want to try cleaning the threads with dental floss before screwing down the crown.

#25 ·
Try pushing the crown in and turning it counter-clockwise. You'll feel and hear the point where the threads begin. When that happens push the crown in and tighten it by turning clockwise.

If it's a used watch you may want to try cleaning the threads with dental floss before screwing down the crown.
I haven´t catch the point, i have tried to push it in and turning it but it always stays on the point where you can push the crown out .
It´s a new watch.

#24 ·
Yup, agree with the above poster. Don't try to force the crown in if it refuses to catch on the thread. You might end up with cross threads and damaging the tube/crown.

Pushing the crown in while turning in the loosen direction will help you find the start of the thread and from there you can start to turn in the opposite direction to tighten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
The crown on the Seiko SRP777 Turtle is hard to screw back inside the tube. It feels gritty. I own a STEELDIVE and a San Martin 6105 homage and the crown on both are buttery smooth to screw down and unscrew. On my Seiko SRP777 Turtle, I have to try to fiddle with the crown to try to get it screwed into the tube. Why does the STEELDIVE and the San Martin have a much smoother and better quality screw down crown and tube?

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.