Seiko SNK805K2 - pulling out the crown?

Thread: Seiko SNK805K2 - pulling out the crown?

-->

Seiko SNK805K2 - pulling out the crown?

I'm a rookie regarding watches in general and specifically when it comes to mechanical watches. I just received my first one which is the one mentioned in the topic name. Now, i'm trying to set the date and time. The manual says I need to unscrew the crown and then pull it out to reach a first and second "mode" for date and time. I'm screwing it counter-clockwise like it says, but when i'm trying to pull I just can't seem to move it at all outwards, I can hardly get a grip on the crown at all to be able to pull with any kind of force.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to do this?

Inactive

Re: Seiko SNK805K2 - pulling out the crown?

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherM View Post
    I'm a rookie regarding watches in general and specifically when it comes to mechanical watches. I just received my first one which is the one mentioned in the topic name. Now, i'm trying to set the date and time. The manual says I need to unscrew the crown and then pull it out to reach a first and second "mode" for date and time. I'm screwing it counter-clockwise like it says, but when i'm trying to pull I just can't seem to move it at all outwards, I can hardly get a grip on the crown at all to be able to pull with any kind of force.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to do this?
    Welcome to WUS!

The manual that comes with the watch is a generic manual. Your watch doesn't have a screw down crown so you can ignore that part.
    For your watch; you simply pull the crown out. You will feel the 'click' as it reaches the first position. In this position turning the crown one way sets the date and the other way sets the day.
    Pulling the crown all the way out/to the second and last stop puts it in the time setting mode.

Sometimes new watch crowns can be a little bit stiff to pull out so don't be afraid to use a bit of force with your finger nails(they will likely break before you manage to damage the watch).

Congratulations on your new Seiko; these are great little time keepers and they are very robust

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    Welcome to WUS!

The manual that comes with the watch is a generic manual. Your watch doesn't have a screw down crown so you can ignore that part.
    For your watch; you simply pull the crown out. You will feel the 'click' as it reaches the first position. In this position turning the crown one way sets the date and the other way sets the day.
    Pulling the crown all the way out/to the second and last stop puts it in the time setting mode.

Sometimes new watch crowns can be a little bit stiff to pull out so don't be afraid to use a bit of force with your finger nails(they will likely break before you manage to damage the watch).

Congratulations on your new Seiko; these are great little time keepers and they are very robust
    Thank you, I think it's a very nice looking watch aswell.

Unfortunately I'm a chronic nail biter so I don't have those for tools. :) I suppose i'll have to find some other thing to pop it with. Another one of my "issues" is that i'm overly protective of any new item I acquire, so it will probably take me some time to find the right amount of force required to get it out.

Edit: It's all good now. Managed to bend it out with a pen cap so the clock is set.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BrotherM; December 10th, 2012 at 19:14.

I have a further question. Does this watch have a manual winding mode using the crown? Or is it just wound by motion?

Inactive

I have a further question. Does this watch have a manual winding mode using the crown? Or is it just wound by motion?
    No, it doesn't manual wind; just motion. It doesn't hack either(second hand stops when the crown is pulled).

No, it doesn't manual wind; just motion. It doesn't hack either(second hand stops when the crown is pulled).
    I'm a bit confused though. My watch keeps stopping whenever I don't wear it, like there's barely any "reserve power" power at all. It takes maybe 3-5 hours of no motion before it stops. Surely this can't be meant to be? This means that it stops during every night which is really frustrating because I have to set the time etc. again.

Inactive

I'm a bit confused though. My watch keeps stopping whenever I don't wear it, like there's barely any "reserve power" power at all. It takes maybe 3-5 hours of no motion before it stops. Surely this can't be meant to be? This means that it stops during every night which is really frustrating because I have to set the time etc. again.
    How active are you? If you sit at a desk all day, the watch probably isn't getting fully charged.

How active are you? If you sit at a desk all day, the watch probably isn't getting fully charged.
    Admittedly the past few days have involved a lot of me sitting around doing nothing, but it's not like i've been static the whole day. How much motion exactly does it take to charge it?

I really appreciate all the help.

Inactive

Admittedly the past few days have involved a lot of me sitting around doing nothing, but it's not like i've been static the whole day. How much motion exactly does it take to charge it?

I really appreciate all the help.
    A good brisk walk; a jog; a bike ride in the rough; play a game of basketball or just sit relaxed while watching tv and swing it back and forth(dial up). It really doesn't take much to put a full charge on the watch but if it doesn't get a full charge to start with; you'll end up with a watch that stops after a number of hours.

Thread Information