Is a Seiko Spork worth more than 540$ ?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is a Seiko Spork worth more than 540$ ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is a Seiko Spork worth more than 540$ ?

Hello

I saw a Seiko SRP043K1 in a shop, and i was very interested in after trying it. Only problem is the price. It was priced at 470€ (600$) and the shop owner was ready to sell it to me for 420€ (540$).
    I went to another shop and they also had one Spork for 440€ (570$).
    The Spork is a nice watch but… is it that worth? What are the main differences between a Spork and a 007 apart from dial?
    Is there an online shop where I could get one Spork for less money? I know that it is discontinued and difficult to find!
    Name:  2012-10-31 12.05.38.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  203.7 KB

If I'm not mistaken it was below $200 when it was still in production. Yes it's discontinued now and shops are taking advantage. It's as high as $750 at the bay today and about $380-400 from online shops that still carried it a few months back (sold out already though). You can find used ones in the sales forum every so often for $300-375 depending on the condition. It's a great watch, I own one, but won't buy it at the prices you mentioned.
    Last edited by rsimpsss; November 1st, 2012 at 15:30.

Re: Is a Seiko Spork worth more than 540$ ?

That price is mad, I have a Spork and its a superb watch for the right price, but that definitely is'nt the right price. The main differences between a Spork and an 007 are virtually everything, totally different case shape and size, different strap width (this is arguably a weak point on the Spork), and different dial as you said. The Spork is definitely a love or hate watch, whilst the 007 is peerless for the money. If you continually cruise ebay then Spork bargains do still come up, one sold last week for £210 with steel bracelet, but you have to keep looking. If you're willing to spend the sort of money you've quoted a Sumo is definitely the best bet imho.
    GRAND SEIKO SBGM021 GMT
    SEIKO SARB017 ALPINIST
    CASIO QUARTZ DIVER
    SEIKO SRP779 PEPSI TURTLE
    OMEGA AQUA TERRA QUARTZ

I'm agree with previous comments. Price is too much as you can find it sold lightly used for much less.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

No it's not in my opinion having had the SPORK, SUMO and 007 the SPORK is not worth that amount. Go used for the SPORK as already stated.

Always go "pre-owned" if you can!

I picked my SPORK up on the forums just a few weeks ago for $315USD.....delivered.

"The nice thing about being a pessimist is that your either always being proven right or your pleasantly surprised!" George F. Will

It's pointless to talk about what they - or anything - USED TO cost back in the day.
    Scarcity is what affects the value of anything.
    I mean, since when do people buy 5k+ watches because they're 25 x better than Seikos?
    Any given thing is worth what YOU WANT to pay for. And no more.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    It's pointless to talk about what they - or anything - USED TO cost back in the day.
    Scarcity is what affects the value of anything.
    I mean, since when do people buy 5k+ watches because they're 25 x better than Seikos?
    Any given thing is worth what YOU WANT to pay for. And no more.
    I agree in the main ie totally agree if the watch or anything for that matter is of that given value to "you" then its worth it. But at £335.00 I personally would not touch it with a barge poll (again personal choice) as to me it's then in the Sumo / Chris Ward C60 ballpark. And I personally would not class this as a rare or scarce watch I am sure Seiko produced these int he thousands and thousands (despite it being a limited release period of 12/14 months?? correct me if I am wrong here).

To me SPORK has basic but good quality movement not in the same league as the 6r15, questionable styling (subjective) - trying a little hard to look like other watches ;)

But if you like it get it

I used to own two Sporks, but sold them off after realizing that I prefer the balanced proportions of the 007.

Spork's a great watch -- solid wrist presence, large legible dial, super bright lume and distinct styling -- but I wouldn't pay more than 300 bucks for it.

I prefer the 007 style-wise and the Sumo's another piece that provides a lot of bang for the buck in its price range, especially if bought used and in excellent condition.
    ruthwall1 likes this.
    Seiko/Casio/Tudor

View my feedback by clicking Hidden Content .

Hidden Content me if you want to talk watches.

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ruthwall1 View Post
    And I personally would not class this as a rare or scarce watch I am sure Seiko produced these int he thousands and thousands (despite it being a limited release period of 12/14 months?? correct me if I am wrong here).
    It is fairly scarce on the used market compared to other models and definitely compared to the demand for it. When I sold the ones I had they went really quickly.
    Last edited by Citizen V; November 1st, 2012 at 21:41.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information