Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

Thread: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member diss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    168

    Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Hi all,

    I've just bought a Seiko Sportura 7L22 SNL017P1, and as all the other watches I have, it's gone into rotation. I had left it laying for a bit more than 2 weeks due to work, and when I picked it up again, I noticed it had stopped. Not unusual I thought as it is a motion driven movement, but isn't it supposed to store energy in the capacitator for 5 months?

    Well, I put it on and noticed that the seconds hand (which worked perfectly when I bought the watch) now ticked in 2 seconds increments! It is uregular even in this motion, it stops around 1/100 of a second in the middle of the 2 second increment. I just don't get it, the watch is new, but there must clearly be something wrong here?

    Thanks for reading


  2. #2
    SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    2,387

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Quote Originally Posted by diss View Post
    Hi all,

    I've just bought a Seiko Sportura 7L22 SNL017P1, and as all the other watches I have, it's gone into rotation. I had left it laying for a bit more than 2 weeks due to work, and when I picked it up again, I noticed it had stopped. Not unusual I thought as it is a motion driven movement, but isn't it supposed to store energy in the capacitator for 5 months?

    Well, I put it on and noticed that the seconds hand (which worked perfectly when I bought the watch) now ticked in 2 seconds increments! It is uregular even in this motion, it stops around 1/100 of a second in the middle of the 2 second increment. I just don't get it, the watch is new, but there must clearly be something wrong here?

    Thanks for reading

    Ticking seconds by 2 right? The watch is telling you that the battery is very low and it needs to be recharged. Some kinetic seiko has Battery indicator but for those which do not have indicate by ticking twice each round. There is nothing wrong with that. You try recharge it by moving. From what I know when kinetic watches are low in power, they need more movement than the automatic watches. Try moving(recharge) as much as you can. If that doesn't seem to work, simply go and change the battery. Sometimes they're kept long at the shop. Your watch doesn't not have auto-relay function so it can't save the power. Your model is a very fine model. It shouldn't be that bad.

    Hope this helps you
    good luck

  3. #3
    Member diss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    168

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Raggyboy, thank you very much for the informative answer.

    Yes, you're right, it ticks seconds by two. The fact that it needs longer to recharge than a regualr automatic explains a lot. I weared the Seiko for a whole normal day, at work, coming home, walking the dogs etc. At the end of the day it was still ticking seconds by two - it really needs that much movement and more to recharge, or might the battery need changing?

    Thanks again,
    best rgds
    Stein A


  4. #4
    SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    2,387

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Quote Originally Posted by diss View Post
    Raggyboy, thank you very much for the informative answer.

    Yes, you're right, it ticks seconds by two. The fact that it needs longer to recharge than a regualr automatic explains a lot. I weared the Seiko for a whole normal day, at work, coming home, walking the dogs etc. At the end of the day it was still ticking seconds by two - it really needs that much movement and more to recharge, or might the battery need changing?

    Thanks again,
    best rgds
    Stein A


    Hmm... from what you've said I hate to say this but I guess you might need to change the battery. Make sure before you change the battery. At this point give it another chance. better wait for another 3 or 4 days(wear it 24/7). I guess they kept your watch so long without recharging it. Without recharging it your watch can hold the power atmost 5-6 months only unless it has an AUTORELAY function which can hibernate(stop) the hands. Then this can go up to 4 years. Like I said give it a chance for another 3..4 days then if that doesn't help you, bring it back to Seiko or somewhere else which can handle Kinetic watches. Remember 95% is the battery issue you're facing right now but another 5$ can be your watch failed to recharge the battery.

    Hoping that this is a battery problem
    Take care

  5. #5
    Member diss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    168

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Ok, sounds good.

    I'll do as you suggest and see how it goes. I'll get back to you in a few days :)


  6. #6
    Member Radio_Daze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central England.
    Posts
    2,995

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    To fully charge that Watch to it's full capacity, you will need to wear it for several weeks. The Watch was obviously discharged when you bought it, after being in storage for some time. I think a day of normal wearing will only charge the Watch enough for it to run for about two days. So I would suggest that you wear it constantly for some time to give it a good charge.

    You have a very good Watch there, I know that, because I have one of those myself. I have several kinetic's, and when they run down, it takes quite a time to fully charge them again. So believe me when I say, that there is nothing wrong with your's.
    Last edited by Radio_Daze; November 29th, 2007 at 22:41.

  7. #7
    Member diss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    168

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Seems you are right guys, there is no problem with my seconds hand now! I've worn the watch 24/7 since I started this thread, and the watch has been running perfectly for the last couple of days. I guess it even got charged pretty well when I smashed my car yesterday (only my wife and me onboard and we're both fine!)


  8. #8
    SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    2,387

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Quote Originally Posted by diss View Post
    Seems you are right guys, there is no problem with my seconds hand now! I've worn the watch 24/7 since I started this thread, and the watch has been running perfectly for the last couple of days. I guess it even got charged pretty well when I smashed my car yesterday (only my wife and me onboard and we're both fine!)

    Cheers! mate But sorry about your car :(
    Last edited by raggyboy; December 2nd, 2007 at 17:47.

  9. #9
    Member Yogi18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    860

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Oh wow,

    I hope you are both fine!!!
    As for the two seconds ticks, it is only in indicate the low charge of a battery/capacitor. Try to wear it as often as possible until you get it fully charged, and then you can cycle with other watches :)

    Yogev

  10. #10
    Member torned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    110

    Re: Seiko Sportura - new watch - problems with seconds marker

    Quote Originally Posted by diss View Post
    Seems you are right guys, there is no problem with my seconds hand now! I've worn the watch 24/7 since I started this thread, and the watch has been running perfectly for the last couple of days. I guess it even got charged pretty well when I smashed my car yesterday (only my wife and me onboard and we're both fine!)
    You smashed your car...hell I'm sorry to here that.
    What happened...snow, slippery conditions?

    This morning I was shovelling snow for an hour...now icey rain took place...

    Not that I'm complaining...physical activity for middle aged like me doesn't hurt...au contraire

    Sincerely,
    Ned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2